Hifiman Edition X
Nov 13, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #2,927 of 4,030
Oh dude it's cool - unless of course you'd personally get a kick out of it. I was just wondering how they'd compare with slow paced moody electronic music. "Inside" just came to mind cause I was recently listening to it.
So yes, I can confirm your guess was actually correct, "Inside" sounds pretty awesome with the HEX.
The C Flows has a clear advantage on the bass (as said, tighter and with more punch), but the HEX deliver a more open sound where the (artificial) soundstage is wider and the piano notes are definitely more realistic.

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #2,929 of 4,030
So yes, I can confirm your guess was actually correct, "Inside" sounds pretty awesome with the HEX.
The C Flows has a clear advantage on the bass (as said, tighter and with more punch), but the HEX deliver a more open sound where the (artificial) soundstage is wider and the piano notes are definitely more realistic.

That's awesome! Thanks for checking.

I think I even prefer more slower paced, moodier electronic music these days. Guess that's a sign that I'm getting old.

/throws rave glow sticks into trash

JK...never was into that scene

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #2,931 of 4,030
It was an email...will be active on November 15. Looking forward to your impressions once you get them!

Was hoping it would be lower since I thought they did 40% off last year, but hopefully your email is legit because I just ordered through Amazon. They have it for that price as well, plus I get 5% back.

Thanks for the heads up. So stoked.

Nov 14, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #2,932 of 4,030
Here's the full text of the "Black Friday" e-mail from Hifiman:

2017-11-13.jpg

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #2,933 of 4,030
Another update on my search for upstream equipment for the HEX. Couldn't decide on just one, so I got both the Chord Mojo and the Grace m9XX. I'll hold off on a desktop SS amp specifically for the HEX v2, since I already have a great one (Bryston BHA-1) at home.

In the future, I want to experiment with tube hybrid and output transformer coupled tube amps to play with the HEX; Pathos Aurium is on my mind (though it seems to give out a ton of power, which is a potential worry). I also ordered a Cavalli Tube Hybrid off of Massdrop as well, but that won't come until the end of February next year.

I'm also taking @LugBug1 's suggestion about scaling wrt source deeply into consideration. I need to do more research, but the Schiit Gungnir Multibit seems very promising. Won't be for a while though; for now I'll be using the Grace m9XX as a DAC at home.

On another note, I think the headphone shop that I'm going to is starting to get annoyed by me... I keep on going back to 'demo' the HEX v2. Need to buck up and buy it soon; just waiting on my next paycheck!

Nov 18, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #2,934 of 4,030
Another update on my search for upstream equipment for the HEX. Couldn't decide on just one, so I got both the Chord Mojo and the Grace m9XX. I'll hold off on a desktop SS amp specifically for the HEX v2, since I already have a great one (Bryston BHA-1) at home.

In the future, I want to experiment with tube hybrid and output transformer coupled tube amps to play with the HEX; Pathos Aurium is on my mind (though it seems to give out a ton of power, which is a potential worry). I also ordered a Cavalli Tube Hybrid off of Massdrop as well, but that won't come until the end of February next year.

I'm also taking @LugBug1 's suggestion about scaling wrt source deeply into consideration. I need to do more research, but the Schiit Gungnir Multibit seems very promising. Won't be for a while though; for now I'll be using the Grace m9XX as a DAC at home.

On another note, I think the headphone shop that I'm going to is starting to get annoyed by me... I keep on going back to 'demo' the HEX v2. Need to buck up and buy it soon; just waiting on my next paycheck!

The Pathos Aurium seems to be a very good match for the HEX as some shops sell them as a combo.
In fact I ordered one to upgrade from my Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 and drive both my HEX and my Ether C Flow.
Despite the Aurium is a very powerful amp it features a gain control on the back panel so you can actually turn down the knob to reduce the output power.

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #2,935 of 4,030
The Pathos Aurium seems to be a very good match for the HEX as some shops sell them as a combo.
In fact I ordered one to upgrade from my Cavalli Liquid Carbon 2.0 and drive both my HEX and my Ether C Flow.
Despite the Aurium is a very powerful amp it features a gain control on the back panel so you can actually turn down the knob to reduce the output power.

Looking forward to your impressions once the amp arrives! The gain control thing eases my worries.

So I went to the 'demo' again today... the shop that has the HEX is out of stock...but I ordered them anyway and put in a small deposit. Should be getting them early December! Super excited. Even got a decent discount out of it.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #2,936 of 4,030
Looking forward to your impressions once the amp arrives! The gain control thing eases my worries.
From the Aurium's manual:

"Gain:
using the knob on the rear panel you can select the output gain in the headset. Given the large difference in impedance and sensitivity of the headphones on the market (from 16 to 1000 ohms) you need to adjust the gain to decrease if you use a low-impedance headphones, or increase it if you use a headset at high impedance.
For the correct adjustment Volume / Gain Pathos recommend the following procedure:
- Lower the gain to a minimum before connecting a headset
- Set the master volume at half scale
- Increase the gain in order to perceive a good listening volume.
By doing so you will have the perfect flexibility of using the volume knob on the front panel, preventing excessive volume"

Nov 19, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #2,937 of 4,030

So I went to the 'demo' again today... the shop that has the HEX is out of stock...but I ordered them anyway and put in a small deposit. Should be getting them early December! Super excited. Even got a decent discount out of it.
What kinda discount?:wink:

Nov 19, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #2,938 of 4,030
What kinda discount?:wink:

Not anything crazy, after conversion, it comes up to just over $1100...another $100 off of the Black Friday price.

If you decide to get them, I'm interested in your thoughts on them vs your AFOs! My impression was that the AFO's soundstage was far too narrow (an immediate dealbreaker for me), especially as someone who enjoys orchestral music quite often...and I forget which damping material was used (one of the white ones) but it sounded a bit veiled next to the HEX. Good tonality overall though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back