Hifiman Edition X
Jan 8, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #1,111 of 4,030
I am listening now on my headphone out of the infinity and find it more spacious and transparent than before. Not my ideal pairing yet because I am hoping the Liquid Carbon gives me a blacker background but I am enjoying this headphone. Its definitely growing on me. The hurdle is all of the simple plastic for 1799.99. Also there seems to be deeper more tangible dimension around the vocals with the LCD2.1 and its not just because of the thicker balance. The LCD 2.1 has a more 3 dimensional sound when I focus on one instrument but then when I look at the whole picture the heX is way larger and better at casting sounds around.  This effect I am hearing could be because the LCD2 has the blacker background but also the slower decay. Positionally the heX has a more distant vocal image but its sharper. While the heX won't ever claim the title of my favorite for voices its not bad and the whole soundscape sounds free and effortless. This still couldn't be my end game because I like grippier, snappier, and more aggressive punches and kicks as my number one quality I seek but it's got its own very appreciable things going on that make me very happy HiFiMan made this headphone. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #1,112 of 4,030
Just tried the hifiman x with luxman 700. Hifiman x has a very fast hitting bass, very comfortable. Sounds like a faster th900 with no treble peaks.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #1,113 of 4,030
  I am listening now on my headphone out of the infinity and find it more spacious and transparent than before. Not my ideal pairing yet because I am hoping the Liquid Carbon gives me a blacker background but I am enjoying this headphone. Its definitely growing on me. The hurdle is all of the simple plastic for 1799.99. Also there seems to be deeper more tangible dimension around the vocals with the LCD2.1 and its not just because of the thicker balance. The LCD 2.1 has a more 3 dimensional sound when I focus on one instrument but then when I look at the whole picture the heX is way larger and better at casting sounds around.  This effect I am hearing could be because the LCD2 has the blacker background but also the slower decay. Positionally the heX has a more distant vocal image but its sharper. While the heX won't ever claim the title of my favorite for voices its not bad and the whole soundscape sounds free and effortless. This still couldn't be my end game because I like grippier, snappier, and more aggressive punches and kicks as my number one quality I seek but it's got its own very appreciable things going on that make me very happy HiFiMan made this headphone. 

Good impressions!

One thing HIFIMAN did accomplish with the ED-X is that it's fairly consistent in the way it sounds with all sources. 
I guess this fits the whole "high-quality sound for the general public".
Though I can't really see someone using a Clip+ or an iPhone to drive these (Admittedly, it does work).
Not sure why you wouldn't want to upgrade your source components if you're buying a $1800 headphone.

I still think you should save up for the HE-1000! It has the grippy, engaging, and slam that you're looking for. But simultaneously it does all of that while articulating excellent details in an expansive and relaxed landscape. Resolution and imaging is top-notch too!

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #1,114 of 4,030

Hey B-60!

That was the second thing I noticed.

Is there anyone else with the ED-X that can confirm that the plastic gimbals slide around unevenly?

-Pretty sure it's not an intentional design feature, as the left side is much looser than the right side. 

Both my gimbal will not slide.

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,115 of 4,030

Both my gimbal will not slide.

Are you saying that they simply don't move in either direction?

As in you can't even push them in?

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #1,117 of 4,030

Correct, I can't push them in and they don't move in either direction at all.

That's strange then.
Since B-60's video and other impressions have shown they do indeed.

I guess this is just another case of HIFIMAN's quality control oversight.

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:46 AM Post #1,118 of 4,030

Hey B-60!

That was the second thing I noticed.

Is there anyone else with the ED-X that can confirm that the plastic gimbals slide around unevenly?

-Pretty sure it's not an intentional design feature, as the left side is much looser than the right side. 

My right side is nice and firm, no play at all.
I did email HIFIMan and they are looking in to this.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #1,121 of 4,030
  Hi AW,
You have one that is good then, At this point looks like HIFIMAN having some QC problems.
One of the forks is larger then the other or there is some problems inside the driver's enclosure.

Well, can't say I'm surprised.

In fact, I'm more surprised no one has noticed anything until now.

Honestly, I can live with the fact both of my gimbals are loose.
It's more of the abysmal state of the grilles on my headphone.

Sorry to be the voice of dissent!
But for anyone that's paid $1800, you had better get a headphone without all these quality control problems.

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #1,122 of 4,030
My Edition X is going back to Hifiman, DE, for warranty replacement.  My pair has a loose left gimball, and when I push it back in, there is a "snap" while wearing/listening, and the gimball pops back out.  Also, the left ear cup 2.5mm connector is  intermittent/sound cuts out, someone else reported this as well.  I swapped the L/R cable to make sure it was in the ear cup!  The sound is fantastic though!

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,123 of 4,030
  My Edition X is going back to Hifiman, DE, for warranty replacement.  My pair has a loose left gimball, and when I push it back in, there is a "snap" while wearing/listening, and the gimball pops back out.  Also, the left ear cup 2.5mm connector is  intermittent/sound cuts out, someone else reported this as well.  I swapped the L/R cable to make sure it was in the ear cup!  The sound is fantastic though!

Thanks for confirming!

I hope they deal with all these production issues. Once they get it sorted out, it should be fine.

For example: My old HE-6 had all sorts of issues. But my new one looks pretty solid, and even the hue is different.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,124 of 4,030

Hi Cute,
That is so true, there is a "snap" sound from the loose while wearing/listening , My connectors are good though!
The sound is incredible from this headphone.
I am sure that HIFIMan is going to investigate in to this ASAP.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #1,125 of 4,030

Hi Cute,
That is so true, there is a "snap" sound from the loose while wearing/listening , My connectors are good though!
The sound is incredible from this headphone.
I am sure that HIFIMan is going to investigate in to this ASAP.

I noticed the loose gimbal, and the "snap" right away after getting them about 5 weeks ago.  The loose connection started occurring about a week ago.  Didn't worry about the loose gimbal until someone else posted about it.  Maybe others with these problems should contact Hifiman customerservice@hifiman.com, so they can determine ther quatity control issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back