Hifiman Edition X
Jan 6, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,096 of 4,030
Have been doing some serious listening now since i burned the X's in....If i didnt already own the HEK i would say these are the best cans i have ever heard.They are strangely addicting,a wide and deep soundstage with great detail that also has serious bass performance.The HEk is more subtle,more refined and more detailed and perhaps more true but the X has a visceral kind of presentation,more alive more exciting.When I first ordered them i was concerned that their efficiency would actually be a detriment since i listen using an amp and in the case of the X thus far i have used my Hugo and my Mojo paired with my Vorzuge pure II+......to my surprise the efficiency was not a detriment but a plus...obviously it does not require the same level of volume that the HEK does but it simply has great heft and presence.I still prefer my HEK but the X has proven to be a truly pleasant surprise.I would characterize them as the HD800 with bass and somewhat similar to the Ether but with a wider and larger soundstage...at least that is how i hear it........perhaps reviewers will not like it and others will disagree but thus far i am really enjoying this HD

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #1,097 of 4,030
Very enjoyable read of first impressions.  Nicely done.  Be careful though, you may grow to love them.  They have a way of sneaking into your heart by being easy to listen to even if they aren't what you thought you wanted.  

Can't agree more on price but truth be told, that applies to a lot of headphones these days....sigh.

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #1,098 of 4,030
  Have been doing some serious listening now since i burned the X's in....If i didnt already own the HEK i would say these are the best cans i have ever heard.They are strangely addicting,a wide and deep soundstage with great detail that also has serious bass performance.The HEk is more subtle,more refined and more detailed and perhaps more true but the X has a visceral kind of presentation,more alive more exciting.When I first ordered them i was concerned that their efficiency would actually be a detriment since i listen using an amp and in the case of the X thus far i have used my Hugo and my Mojo paired with my Vorzuge pure II+......to my surprise the efficiency was not a detriment but a plus...obviously it does not require the same level of volume that the HEK does but it simply has great heft and presence.I still prefer my HEK but the X has proven to be a truly pleasant surprise.I would characterize them as the HD800 with bass and somewhat similar to the Ether but with a wider and larger soundstage...at least that is how i hear it........perhaps reviewers will not like it and others will disagree but thus far i am really enjoying this HD

+1,NICE
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,099 of 4,030
For those on budget, I find the new momentum M2 very capable. It can meet the SQ at HEX 80% but only for $349. Audition one at Best buy for fun while shopping and ended bringing home the M2. I am actually a very weak man. Dang!

Jan 6, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #1,100 of 4,030
  For those on budget, I find the new momentum M2 very capable. It can meet the SQ at HEX 80% but only for $349. Audition one at Best buy for fun while shopping and ended bringing home the M2. I am actually a very weak man. Dang!

I really like the M2 (put it in my top 2 portable headphone listing thread), but the HE-X is far beyond the M2 (much more so than 80%) to my ears. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #1,101 of 4,030
Just finished what is likely my last session with the Edition X and it really sounds better than any headphone I have heard. I just love it's balance, bass, imaging and sound stage. I am going to miss them once gone. Oh well now to start saving and watching for a possible score of a good used pair :). Or possibly a sale at some point...

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #1,102 of 4,030

I really like the M2 (put it in my top 2 portable headphone listing thread), but the HE-X is far beyond the M2 (much more so than 80%) to my ears. 

I know.. I know.. I am just saying 80% as a place holder.. subject to change.. HEX is way beyond that..

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #1,103 of 4,030
Just got my pair in.

Will post impressions when I give them ample time.

On a side note:

Anybody notice that the metal grille over the drivers is roughly finished? 
Especially towards the bottom edge, it's like the thin grille is bunched up and dented in.

Kind of worrying considering these have only went through one person.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,104 of 4,030
  Just got my pair in.

On a side note:

Especially towards the bottom edge, it's like the thin grille is bunched up and dented in.

Can u snap a pic? My metal grill finish is perfect from top to bottom. No dented in

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #1,108 of 4,030
  Just got my pair in.

On a side note:

Hi Sil3nce,
Can you tell me if you left fork feels different then the right fork, I am talking about the...let me post a vid of this here.
Cheers 

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #1,109 of 4,030

Can u snap a pic? My metal grill finish is perfect from top to bottom. No dented in

Sure, I'll be happy to take a picture later.

I just confirmed with my fellow tour-mates that they shared the same problems.

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #1,110 of 4,030
  Hi Sil3nce,
Can you tell me if you left fork feels different then the right fork, I am talking about the...let me post a vid of this here.
Cheers 

Hey B-60!

That was the second thing I noticed.

Is there anyone else with the ED-X that can confirm that the plastic gimbals slide around unevenly?

-Pretty sure it's not an intentional design feature, as the left side is much looser than the right side. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back