Hifiman Edition X
Feb 8, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #3,031 of 4,030
The HEX V2 are definitely a lovely set of cans. They don't really have a WoW effect but after some serious listening you learn to appreciate how they sound. Smooth, neutral and centered on the mids.
Are they those type of cans you can only live with? No in my opinion but together with another set of "funnier" headphones as the Denons D7200 or the Fostexs TH900s, and IMHO, you're done for a good, good time.

That's the beauty if this hobby, we all use it differently and search for different things. I want a few pair of headphones
- The über analytical
- The laid back one with super comfort for (extreme) long listening sessions at a lower volume
- The closed-back one to block outside noise

I'm more then happy by putting the Edtion X v2 as the laid back one. At the moment I'm more figuring out which headphone will fit the closed-back spot for the years to come.

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #3,033 of 4,030
Yeah I've been thinking about the HEX V2 as the open and Aeon Flow as the closed--or possibly some sort of Denon/Fostex thing.

Planning to skip mid-fi and go all in, and just be done with it. Although I spent a year considering the pros and cons of the m1060, HE560, 6XX and what have you... my heart of hearts wanted something like that to work but it became clear that the answer is not there. So it's just been a matter of figuring out which of the big open planars to go for.

I know what the HD800s sound is like, and that is not what I want. The Z1R is interesting, but I want my desktop headphone to be open, and they're a bit too big and conspicuous to be my portable set. And I don't want to go electrostatic for all the usual reasons someone wouldn't--have to have a dedicated amp that can't be used for anything else, can't take it anywhere, no thanks. So this is where I've been sitting for some time. So it's basically been a contest between the Ether Flow, the LCD X, and the HEX V2... and the HEX is where I've been leaning for a variety of reasons. Just trying to address a few lingering concerns really.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #3,035 of 4,030
Last night I was listening to some music and I put them down for a second to close my door. When I picked them back up, I noticed that the left driver was not producing any sound. I'm wondering if it's possible that I was overpowering the HexV2 or if that could even happen to the point of failure.

I'm currently running the HeXV2 via a Schiit Jotunheim w/ dac with a balanced cable.

I might run some additional tests and try to run them off my phone or something, but I'm pretty sure the driver went dead. :/

Is this common? Has it happened to other Edition X owners, and does anyone know the cost it would be to repair?

Feb 9, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #3,036 of 4,030
Have you re-checked the cable connections? Similarly, have you tried a different cable to rule out a a bad or open connection somewhere in the cable itself?

If the cable isn't at fault and the headphone is still under warranty, contact HiFiMan or perhaps the dealer you purchased the headphones from.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #3,037 of 4,030
Have you re-checked the cable connections? Similarly, have you tried a different cable to rule out a a bad or open connection somewhere in the cable itself?

If the cable isn't at fault and the headphone is still under warranty, contact HiFiMan or perhaps the dealer you purchased the headphones from.

They were bought used here on headfi, so I don't think they are under warranty unfortunately. Hoping that repair won't be too costly

I played both left and right terminations of the cables on the right driver which worked fine, but I will run more tests later tonight with the stock cables.

Feb 9, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #3,039 of 4,030
Feb 9, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #3,041 of 4,030
It's a real pity to read that other Headfiers are coming into problems when their HEXs are driven balanced. It's clearly pointed out although on the user's guide not to overdrive these headphones with powerful sources due to their high sensivity and low Zout.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #3,042 of 4,030
What are your lingering concerns?

-Apparently even on the V2, the hinge is still a weak point. Saw a picture of one that cracked, and I'll try to dig it up for you folks. The fellow who posted it insisted he had a V2 and not a V1. If so, that's not good.

-I'm torn when it comes to the description of the sound. On the one hand, the description I'm seeing looks like exactly what I want. Some saying it's very neutral and smooth, with an emphasis on mids, and a sense of huge-ness to it, others saying it's "dark but detailed". All of that sounds good to me.

However, there's a number of people with a profoundly strong negative reactions to the sound, who insist it is the worst thing they've ever heard in a top shelf headphone. It's difficult to get a reference point when people call a headphone 'too soft'. Too soft compared to what? If your idea of a fun time is a pair of Beyers or Grados cooking your brain with treble, then well, softer than that is what I want. It could be that or it could be much more than that. It's hard to get a reference without hearing them myself. Sadly, no one will have them at the meetup I'm attending in a couple weeks.

Feb 10, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #3,044 of 4,030
I honestly can't imagine a better set of cans for movie watching.

Suuuper comfy.

Awesome, clear vocals.

Laidback, non-fatiguing, long-term sound sig.

IMAX level overall presentation in regards to surround sound imaging.
Thank you for your reply, I thought my question would go unanswered...

Do these have any depth projection? As in sound coming from in front of you instead of inside your head?

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back