Hifiman Edition X
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #3,016 of 4,030
Well what can I say- I like the HEx V2 but ultimatly is whatever rocks your boat- sound like you don’t really like the sound signature of the Hex with the warmer and relaxed sound- trust your instincts- give it a few weeks and if you don’t like them try something else- if you want more clarity you might want to try Ether Flow or HD-800s or just keep the Beyers- no right answer here

May I ask why you sold your HEX if you liked them?

Feb 1, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #3,017 of 4,030
Needed closed headphones and bought Z1r, but they are great open headphones in my book. I normally listen in my bedroom and when wife and kids are around I really need noise isolation. LOL I could have kept them but I am just looking to simplify things and right now Z1R fit the bill as my all rounder.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #3,018 of 4,030
I was testing Edition X v2 this week and i didn´t like them much. They are good with classic music and jazz and stuff like that but when you start listening prog-metal, rock and crank volume bit then all you get is wall of sound. All is one big mess.

Feb 5, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #3,020 of 4,030
One thing to point out is that they are really efficient so depending on what amp you are using - have to be careful with the volume control. I thought they were good all rounder with solid bass and warm sound signature. Even out of the iPhone they sounded nice. However for EDM at loud volumes would check the ZMF Eikon, Atticus or the Z1r.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #3,022 of 4,030
The Edition X v2s are growing on me a little. I'm still thinking I'm going to return them, but I compared them against the HE560s this morning and the 560s sounded very compressed in comparison to v2's much larger soundstage. I really like the HE560s, and I'm surprised that the v2s outdo them in that aspect. Maybe they'll continue to improve with more burn-in?

Feb 7, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #3,023 of 4,030
Totally agree, I am surprised not a lot of people talk more about this headphone. I find them totally engaging, from the minute I put them on, I was hooked.

Their spectrum/resonance graphs look rather alarming for a $1000+ headphone. I get the feeling that's the thing scaring people off?

Edition X - https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/spectr-ed-x-l.png?w=614
HE 1000 - https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/spectr-he1000-r.png?w=614 very similar, slightly better

much better:
HE 560 - https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/spect-he560r.png?w=614
AEON C Flow - https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/spectr-aeon-closed-l.png?w=614
LCD X - https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2017/07/spectr-lcd-x-r.png?w=614

It looks like a wall of sound, as if they create their own noise floor and then play everything on top of it. However... I'm wondering if it could be that they're just so large and open that the noise they project throughout a room behaves in an almost speaker-like way and the bounceback from the room is still measurable on the rig inside the headphones?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #3,024 of 4,030
However... I'm wondering if it could be that they're just so large and open that the noise they project throughout a room behaves in an almost speaker-like way and the bounceback from the room is still measurable on the rig inside the headphones?

I know that these blast out as much power into the room as into your ears. If you move your hands remotely near the headphones you can actually hear the reflections!
While I love measurements I will trust my own ears (and feelings) on this one. IMO the Edition X v2 is totally worth the money, but ymmv

Feb 7, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #3,025 of 4,030
The HEX V2 are definitely a lovely set of cans. They don't really have a WoW effect but after some serious listening you learn to appreciate how they sound. Smooth, neutral and centered on the mids.
Are they those type of cans you can only live with? No in my opinion but together with another set of "funnier" headphones as the Denons D7200 or the Fostexs TH900s, and IMHO, you're done for a good, good time.

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #3,026 of 4,030
Sadly, I have listed my Edition X V2 in the classifieds for sale, in case anyone is interested. I do like them, but I also have other Hifiman cans, including the He 1000, and the He-6, and I can't afford to keep them all at this time. C'est la vie.

Feb 7, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #3,027 of 4,030
I've been following this thread for a little while as the HEX V2 has piqued my curiosity, given a number of good reviews. For reference, I recently picked up a 400S and I have liked its sound so far.

One knock that I do read against many of the HFM headphones is the use plastic hardware in place of steel or metal for items such as the headband and arms. For those of you with the HEX V2 for a while, how have your headphones been holding up and do you think that they will have a long life if given reasonable care?

Feb 7, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #3,028 of 4,030
With reasonable care, I really do not see why not.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #3,030 of 4,030
I've been following this thread for a little while as the HEX V2 has piqued my curiosity, given a number of good reviews. For reference, I recently picked up a 400S and I have liked its sound so far.

One knock that I do read against many of the HFM headphones is the use plastic hardware in place of steel or metal for items such as the headband and arms. For those of you with the HEX V2 for a while, how have your headphones been holding up and do you think that they will have a long life if given reasonable care?

At least same lifespan as a set of SENNs HD800s or Ether Flows could offer, having these Hifimans many more metal parts.

Nothing to be worried about, be confident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back