Hifiman Edition X
Dec 18, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #3,001 of 4,030
Don’t know where you got the strong clamping force idea from, but that’s simply not true. My HEK V2 does not clamp hard and is the second most comfortable headphone I’ve ever owned, only bested by the Sennheiser 800S.

He didn't say the HEK V2 has a strong clamping force relative to all headphones, he said in relation to HEXv2. Which is true. It also has noticeably more clamp than the HEKv1. You misread his post.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #3,003 of 4,030
Sad to report that over the past few days I seemed to have developed a kind of a rattling/vibrating sound with certain mid-high frequencies in the right channel. At first I thought I'm just hearing amazing detail and faults in the recording, but I started noticing it more and more and today I swapped the channels to confirm that it's a problem in the right channel and not the source. I'm listening to some Harold Budd Pavilion of Dreams and it's really bad in the first track. I took the earpad off to check if anything was loose or dirty and found nothing of the sort. Anybody else have a similar issue? I just bought these a couple weeks ago from Adorama, so I guess they're going back for now.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #3,004 of 4,030
Sad to report that over the past few days I seemed to have developed a kind of a rattling/vibrating sound with certain mid-high frequencies in the right channel. At first I thought I'm just hearing amazing detail and faults in the recording, but I started noticing it more and more and today I swapped the channels to confirm that it's a problem in the right channel and not the source. I'm listening to some Harold Budd Pavilion of Dreams and it's really bad in the first track. I took the earpad off to check if anything was loose or dirty and found nothing of the sort. Anybody else have a similar issue? I just bought these a couple weeks ago from Adorama, so I guess they're going back for now.

Sorry to read this :frowning2: Hope you get it sorted. They'll be under warranty, so yes send them back.

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #3,005 of 4,030
i lam looking for a better portable dap / amp combo then my fiio x5 3rd gen and fiio a5 - it sounds great but i think the headphones could sound better - any recommendations ? would the chord mojo with my galaxy s8 plus sound better or any other suggestions greatly appreciated

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #3,007 of 4,030
Some musings:

I was reading Tyll's review on the Clear, and his thoughts on it somehow helped me articulate my thoughts (sort of) on why I like the Edition X so much. He says in the review, "The Clear is also like its siblings in that it can be almost unsettlingly dynamic, which, to me, makes the image rather shallow due to being so potently snappy." I definitely felt that the sound presentation of the Clears were upfront and all the instruments sounded like they were quite close (thought not claustrophobic since separation and imaging were still on point). His theory on the snappiness and dynamics of the Clears being the contributing factor to a shallow image is certainly interesting and I think I'd agree.

On the other hand, the Edition X are rather blunted in terms of dynamics and are smoother/rounder sounding. The instruments sounded like they were placed further back and the overall sound impression was laid-back. A very good sense of depth came from the Edition X. Perhaps it's because of the lack of dynamics (relative to Clear) that the Edition X have such a nice expansive soundstage depth-wise: the opposite of the case with the Clears.

But the bottom line is that the HEX has a wonderful soundstage, and it's something that I really appreciate, especially coming from the HD800.

Dec 29, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #3,008 of 4,030
Hi guys!
I've recently sold my AK T1p. I liked it's sound signature but there was a spike in 10K treble which was unbearable everytime there was an "S" in the song.
Now I'm looking into Audeze's LCD-X and Hifiman's Edition X V2, since there are both quite efficient and I can drive them through my AK300. have anyone had/heard both to give me a short comparison?
I'll appreciate it.

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #3,009 of 4,030
i recently picked up the hifiman Crystalline balanced Cable(4 pin XLR plug) and got a xlr to 2.5mm to use balanced in my fiio x5 3rd gen and it sounds excellent. i prefer it to the stock cable which i used in combo fiio x5 / fiio a5 amp. i would recommend the hifiman cable to anyone looking for balanced - i don't know how it compares to the other balanced cables but it sounds great to me. now i just need to get a balanced cable for my isine 10's

Jan 7, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #3,010 of 4,030
Are these good all-rounders? I listen mostly progressive metal but also some pop, jazz and orchestral movie soundtracks. I found these 1k € and i assume it should be good deal?

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #3,012 of 4,030
I got the HIfiman Edition X V2 last Saturday and I'm struggling to like it. I have been burning it in since then (I have heard it takes a full week). I've done some critical listening and to me my Beyerdynamic Amiron Home sounds better than the X V2 because the sound is more up-front and detailed, though the soundstage is smaller. I have noticed the wider soundstage of the X V2 works really well with jazz, female vocals, PInk Floyd, and well-recorded ambient music, but it sounds too laid-back and distant with other types of music. I have the X V2 running balanced from my amp with a C3 OCC cable that I purchased for my HE-560. Will the X v2 sound change with more burn-in or maybe adding a silver headphone cable or something like that? I'm not very impressed thus far.

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #3,014 of 4,030
what amp are you using - I find it hard to believe that the amiron home sounds better then the edition x v2

It's in my signature...I'm using an iFi iCan Pro amp and an RME ADI-2 Pro amp/DAC. The clarity of the sound is better through the ADI-2 Pro. I didn't expect the Amiron to sound better either.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #3,015 of 4,030
Well what can I say- I like the HEx V2 but ultimatly is whatever rocks your boat- sound like you don’t really like the sound signature of the Hex with the warmer and relaxed sound- trust your instincts- give it a few weeks and if you don’t like them try something else- if you want more clarity you might want to try Ether Flow or HD-800s or just keep the Beyers- no right answer here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back