Hifiman Edition X
Mar 12, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #2,671 of 4,030

Thanks for the reply...  unfortunately auditioning them is not possible where I am and requires a trip to the mainland to find these..   I guess it's typical that each would do a part better than the other. The description of the "veil" sure doesn't endear me to these though.. but the idea of a small soundstage focussed "in head" is not what I'd like either.. 

I haven't listened to the Elear's but I own the HEX V2.  I also own EL-8's and I loved them until I listened to a busy classical passage and heard what sounded like smeared instruments much congestion and no detail.  I made sure that it wasn't the DAC by switching sources and that made me decide to move on to something else.  I bought mine without an audition but based my decision on numerous reviews.  I didn't go wrong and I don't know if you can wrong with either.  You can't base it on one person's opinion on soundstage.  We all have different ears. The Headphone Bar in Vancouver is just what you need if you must try them out.  

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #2,672 of 4,030
Thanks for the reply...  unfortunately auditioning them is not possible where I am and requires a trip to the mainland to find these..   I guess it's typical that each would do a part better than the other. The description of the "veil" sure doesn't endear me to these though.. but the idea of a small soundstage focussed "in head" is not what I'd like either.. 

I don't mean a veil in the sense of a distinct lack of detail. More of a lack of directness. I found it really obvious on Diana Krall's Devil May Care from A Night in Paris. There's a drum/ brush solo that you could practically touch on the headphones I chose over the HEXs. On the HEXs it didn't have the same physicality, you couldn't feel the air coming off the drums and they seemed a bit like they weren't right there with me. Personally, I listen to a lot of jazz small groups so that's really important to me.
I actually ended up saving my money and bought the Monolith M1060s from Monoprice. I took a chance and so far I think I've made the right decision.
But I really liked the HEXs for other types of music that I don't listen to so much and they're extremely comfortable.
Regarding the Elears, I actually preferred the Sennheiser HD800S. Just as much detail and comfort but with a wider soundstage, which might be important to you for large orchestras. Sorry if that's made it even more difficult!

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #2,673 of 4,030
Thanks for the replies.  I've been to the HeadphoneBar in the past but I don't get off the island and to plan a dedicated trip (about $300 all told) is not ideal.
Hmm..  It is difficult to judge by others' opinions for sure but I've read many reviews that make me think the HEX is the way to go.  I am just trying get over the earlier conviction that it was the Elears that I wanted.. ha..
Having owned Stax in the past I know that effect is what I want but Stax is impractical for my needs as I need the set up to work from a portable rig as I move around a lot as I'm working from home.  I plan on getting something like a Mojo to go with them.
I had HD800's before and was wow'ed by the expansive soundstage but I didn't find it as natural or as coherent as the Beyer T1's soundstage. The Stax 007/717 was perfect.   I guess I'll just have to take my chances as usual..

Thanks again.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #2,674 of 4,030
I think HEX needs a proper source+amp to extract the most out of them.
Yesterday I was A/Bing them against a TH-X00 both out of a Mojo, TH-X00 seemed to retrieve details and micro-details much better than HEX v2.

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,675 of 4,030
My experience may be comforting for you. I had the Elear, HD800S and HEX V2. The only one I still own is the HEX V2. I know I'm in the minority but I can't understand the attraction of the Elear. It was uncomfortable with a distant midrange, small soundstage and a lot of painful glare especially on piano. I didn't like them at all. My previous favorite was the HD800S but the HEX V2 is way more musical and enjoyable. If you like a very in your face sound you wouldn't like the HEX bit if you like an easy to listen to, out of the head sound, you will probably love them.

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #2,676 of 4,030
  I think HEX needs a proper source+amp to extract the most out of them.
Yesterday I was A/Bing them against a TH-X00 both out of a Mojo, TH-X00 seemed to retrieve details and micro-details much better than HEX v2.

confused.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #2,677 of 4,030
Mar 12, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #2,678 of 4,030

? I agree.  The prior comment is superfluous, all headphones are source and amp dependant.  TH-X00 themselves are not known for accurate, reference grade presentation. Part of that is design at a price point and the other part is the closed back design.  Good phones, but not the obvious choice as an alternate to HEX's.   

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #2,679 of 4,030
One of my main reasons for buying the HEX was that it sounded good out of lower tier sources. 
Anyways, what  source(DAC+amp) would you guys recommend below 1k for HEX v2?

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2,680 of 4,030
One of my main reasons for buying the HEX was that it sounded good out of lower tier sources. 
Anyways, what  source(DAC+amp) would you guys recommend below 1k for HEX v2?

For portable uses, a X5III.

Enviado desde mi H1

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #2,681 of 4,030
What about the DX200?
I think it'll be getting better headphones amps in the future

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #2,683 of 4,030
My experience may be comforting for you. I had the Elear, HD800S and HEX V2. The only one I still own is the HEX V2. I know I'm in the minority but I can't understand the attraction of the Elear. It was uncomfortable with a distant midrange, small soundstage and a lot of painful glare especially on piano. I didn't like them at all. My previous favorite was the HD800S but the HEX V2 is way more musical and enjoyable. If you like a very in your face sound you wouldn't like the HEX bit if you like an easy to listen to, out of the head sound, you will probably love them.

This is comforting, thanks.  I definitely prefer the out of head sound so I think I will prefer the HEX...

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #2,684 of 4,030
What about the DX200?
I think it'll be getting better headphones amps in the future

Both X5 III and HEX V2 make an incredible pair. From references I can tell you that this FiiO moves also the Ether C Flows effortless.

Enviado desde mi H1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back