Hifiman Edition X
Mar 4, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,656 of 4,030
  Anyone with a Little Dot amp that use thoses headphones? For a magnetoplanar headphone, which gain is more preferable with an OTL amp? An OTL normally can not drive a lot of current, but thoses headphones have more sensitivity, so i think that is it possible to find a "good" setting with an OTL too.

Yes the HE-X are sensitive, but OTL amps tend to have high output impedances which may not be the best idea with the 25ohm HE-X.

Mar 6, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #2,662 of 4,030
I am using a Mojo right now and the impact is a little low

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #2,663 of 4,030
  Will a good amp increase bass impact?

Absolutely!  I have HEX's with a V281 and the bass is tight and extended.  I have other amps Ie Mytek Brooklyn DAC/Amp, Marantz HD-DAC1 and a Woo WA6.  Each has a sonic signature and all impact frequencies differently.  The Violectric has the deepest and most controlled bass. The Woo has a lot of bass and midrange but lacks treble detail. You need to listen to the whole presentation to decide if it's something you want.  HEX's will give you the detail if it's available from your DAC/Amp.

Woo's  .

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #2,664 of 4,030
Has anyone confirmed that V2 pads fit on the V1?  Distributer is trying to tell my dealer they are slightly different sizes.

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #2,665 of 4,030
It seems that many here have heard the Focal Elears so I was wondering if the HE-X's are better for classical.  I thought I wanted the Elears but the more I read, the more it seems like the HE-X's will suit my tastes more.  I currently have the He-400i's and was looking to upgrade.  I had to sell off my good stuff a while back and am trying to get back into it.  I've had the HD800's, T1's and Stax 007/717 (and 404LE) with the Stax being the best I've heard..  I suspect the HEX's are closer to stats than Elears(?).  I listen to classical mostly including a lot of Max Richter so it's good to have bass as well.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #2,666 of 4,030
The HEXs are much more 'musical' and relaxed than the Elears to my ears. The Elears are very fast, dynamic headphones with plenty of detail right there in your head. They had a slightly too small soundstage for my liking, whereas the HEXs were slightly too removed from the music but had a larger soundstage. Too much of a 'veil', although some people will find that really relaxing. The detail is still there, just presented in a different way.
I'd have thought that for classical, they'll be great, until it gets to lots of closely recorded piano, in which case, the Elears would give you the dynamics that are need for such a percussive instrument.
My advice, go and try them both, they are very different to each other.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #2,668 of 4,030
  Which DAC will improve the details for HEX v2?

Right now, I'm using a Mytek Brooklyn DAC with a Violectric V281 and HEX V2's fed by Black Dragon Balanced V2.  The level of detail and frequency range is spectacular.  Don't underestimate the need to keep the full chain optimized to realize great sound.  I've had varying results through many amps and the V281 is so far the best by far. A good DAC will be circumvented by an amp that can't pass on the detail and so for the cables too.  I Have a full chain of silver Lavricables including USB, balanced interconnect and balanced headphone cables coming and I'll post my results on those as soon as they are here and broken in.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2,669 of 4,030
  Right now, I'm using a Mytek Brooklyn DAC with a Violectric V281 and HEX V2's fed by Black Dragon Balanced V2.  The level of detail and frequency range is spectacular.  Don't underestimate the need to keep the full chain optimized to realize great sound.  I've had varying results through many amps and the V281 is so far the best by far. A good DAC will be circumvented by an amp that can't pass on the detail and so for the cables too.  I Have a full chain of silver Lavricables including USB, balanced interconnect and balanced headphone cables coming and I'll post my results on those as soon as they are here and broken in.

Thanks for the impression and details. I wonder if R2R ladder DACs can bring better sound quality.

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,670 of 4,030
  The HEXs are much more 'musical' and relaxed than the Elears to my ears. The Elears are very fast, dynamic headphones with plenty of detail right there in your head. They had a slightly too small soundstage for my liking, whereas the HEXs were slightly too removed from the music but had a larger soundstage. Too much of a 'veil', although some people will find that really relaxing. The detail is still there, just presented in a different way.
I'd have thought that for classical, they'll be great, until it gets to lots of closely recorded piano, in which case, the Elears would give you the dynamics that are need for such a percussive instrument.
My advice, go and try them both, they are very different to each other.

Thanks for the reply...  unfortunately auditioning them is not possible where I am and requires a trip to the mainland to find these..   I guess it's typical that each would do a part better than the other. The description of the "veil" sure doesn't endear me to these though.. but the idea of a small soundstage focussed "in head" is not what I'd like either.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back