Hifiman Edition X
Mar 22, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #1,848 of 4,030
I went to my local store and tried the WA22 with my HE-1000 and my Edition X. I ended up purchasing the WA22 and I'm now planning to sell my HE-1000. The only reason why I'm selling the HE-1000 is because of the sibilance I get - it also sounds a bit more revealing and resolving which is not great on the sorts of music I listen to. The shop assistant also said he preferred the HE-X. I also do.

The WA22 sounds really good on the HE-X - now I'm just looking to get a DAC for it. Any recommendations? I'm currently considering the Gungnir Multibit or the Yggdrasil.

Mar 22, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #1,849 of 4,030
I went to my local store and tried the WA22 with my HE-1000 and my Edition X. I ended up purchasing the WA22 and I'm now planning to sell my HE-1000. The only reason why I'm selling the HE-1000 is because of the sibilance I get - it also sounds a bit more revealing and resolving which is not great on the sorts of music I listen to. The shop assistant also said he preferred the HE-X. I also do.

The WA22 sounds really good on the HE-X - now I'm just looking to get a DAC for it. Any recommendations? I'm currently considering the Gungnir Multibit or the Yggdrasil.

The hex is a great headphone as is.
I really enjoyed the he1000 with a silvergarde s cable, but.... Without... Same issues as you describe. Too bright to my ears. And missing some mid information IMHO as my review states. But the hex is quite a bit better with the silvergarde s cable as well. Nice match!
I want to check out the wa22 now :)

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #1,851 of 4,030
I really enjoyed the he1000 with a silvergarde s cable, but.... Without... Same issues as you describe. Too bright to my ears. And missing some mid information IMHO as my review states. But the hex is quite a bit better with the silvergarde s cable as well. Nice match!
I want to check out the wa22 now
smily_headphones1.gif

How did you order your sivlerguard s cable from Norne Audio; I don't see the silverguard s cable listed in Norne Audio's store. Many Thanks! 

Mar 22, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,852 of 4,030
I want to check out the wa22 now :)

Sweet, glad to see I'm not alone. I say the WA22 is good because I am a massive sucker for smooth and rich, warm sound. Definitely try it before you buy it.

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,853 of 4,030
Using the HEX with my Simaudio Moon Neo 430HAD right now comparing with my HEK.

I find the HEX much more engaging. It feels closer and more fun than the HEK and I personally enjoy it more.
I am actually considering selling my HEK now to keep the HEX.

Thanks to Headroom (headphone.com) for letting me trial this unit for a few days. Hoping I can find a HEK buyer so I can keep them.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #1,854 of 4,030
So EDM lovers, would you say these are good for EDM? I listen to EDM (and EDM-like pop) 80% of my listening time. Sadly, PM-2 is not good with EDM. I'm waiting for Fostex TH-610 (tried TH900 and it was too bright and lacked mid-bass, good for hiphop only) but I wonder if HEX would be a better choice. Obviously there's a massive price difference. I wish these were $999.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #1,855 of 4,030
So EDM lovers, would you say these are good for EDM? I listen to EDM (and EDM-like pop) 80% of my listening time. Sadly, PM-2 is not good with EDM. I'm waiting for Fostex TH-610 (tried TH900 and it was too bright and lacked mid-bass, good for hiphop only) but I wonder if HEX would be a better choice. Obviously there's a massive price difference. I wish these were $999.

I think the hex is a good pair of cans for edm. But if you are a bass head you will want to use jriver's DSP to add +6db 16hz , +4db 28hz and +3db 40Hz (approx) and play with Q for each to get right. Also if you use balanced setup then the hardware connector reverse right channel phase (4pinxlr to 4pinxlr adapter with right Channel reversed) to balance the transformer output to be parallel and increase transient response, lower noise floor etc . But obviously use jriver DSP to reverse the right channel with software to put it back in phase.
This has made my hex into a very nice bass head can for edm.
But the hd800 with the above mods roughly, and sonarworks still is better with bass, but lacks Mids.
The hex is beautiful with Mids.

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #1,856 of 4,030
I finally found a good transport solution for my X-Edition, and my combo amp AK320 + amp + UM Mentor ! 

On left Amazon gopro basic case small size http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Carrying-Case-GoPro-Small/dp/B00PMMBBSG/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1458833309&sr=1-5&keywords=gopro+case

On right Frieq medium water resistant http://www.amazon.com/FRiEQ-Premium-Resistant-Accessories--Ideal-Storage/dp/B014K3ANXG/ref=sr_1_74?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1458833409&sr=1-74&keywords=gopro+case

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #1,857 of 4,030

Thanks for sharing! I forgot to mention the one I found too. I will take photos tonight and share. It's darn hard to find something that fits properly.
I wish hifiman would listen and just make a decent case already!

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #1,859 of 4,030
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191437844219?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can post photos of my hex in this case later tonight. Fits well!
I hate the logos though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back