Hifiman Edition X
Mar 9, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,834 of 4,030
  Anyone compared the HEX to the Ether or Ether C?

I had the HEX for about a week on the TTVJ tour.  The HEX and ETHER were very close.  I give the edge to ETHER primarily because of a better controlled bass.  The only SQ area where the HEX beat the ETHER was female vocals.  The HEX was outstanding in this area.  The HEX was slightly more comfortable for me due to the shape of the pads spreading clamping force over a wider area.  The build quality is a clear win for the ETHER.  That is my comparison of the two.  This was a three way comparison and for me the LCD-X was the clear winner.  The LCD-X does everything better except for comfort.

Mar 9, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #1,835 of 4,030
  I had the HEX for about a week on the TTVJ tour.  The HEX and ETHER were very close.  I give the edge to ETHER primarily because of a better controlled bass.  The only SQ area where the HEX beat the ETHER was female vocals.  The HEX was outstanding in this area.  The HEX was slightly more comfortable for me due to the shape of the pads spreading clamping force over a wider area.  The build quality is a clear win for the ETHER.  That is my comparison of the two.  This was a three way comparison and for me the LCD-X was the clear winner.  The LCD-X does everything better except for comfort.

That is very interesting in that the Ether lovers on this site are selling their LCD-X's. Were you comparing the open or closed Ether?

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #1,836 of 4,030
  That is very interesting in that the Ether lovers on this site are selling their LCD-X's. Were you comparing the open or closed Ether?

The original ETHER.  Perhaps they are selling do to comfort issues.  I do all my listening in bed and comfort is not a major concern.  I found the LCD-X to have much better bass and high end with the middle being approx. equal.  I find the ETHER high end to be rolled off and the recent 1.1 mod even more so.

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #1,837 of 4,030
I hear quite a few people saying that they listen in bed which negates issues with heavier headphones. That just doesn't work for me. Whenever I've tried to lay in bed with headphones, the pillow just pushes the hp's too far forward and becomes uncomfortable. Whatever works though I guess. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #1,838 of 4,030
  The original ETHER.  Perhaps they are selling do to comfort issues.  I do all my listening in bed and comfort is not a major concern.  I found the LCD-X to have much better bass and high end with the middle being approx. equal.  I find the ETHER high end to be rolled off and the recent 1.1 mod even more so.

The reviews of the Ether at Innerfidelity.com prompted me to give them a try. However, I am not seeing a significant SQ improvement over my HE-400S or Oppo PM-3 to justify the huge price difference. Before sending them back, I am giving them some more break in time. My issue is the base is not well defined and everything else is only marginally better. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #1,839 of 4,030
i have both the ether and the oppo-3 and there is no comparison...the oppo is a fine closed can for the price but the ether is head and shoulders better

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #1,845 of 4,030
I had the oppo ha-1 and it was quite good for its price...the Hugo or Mojo are better DACS without a doubt,not even close but the Oppo amp is more powerful and can drive less efficent cans easier....that said the Hugo or Mojo is a better product 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back