Hifiman Edition X
Oct 9, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #166 of 4,030

Why would it be a door way to doom, if that's the headphone one settles on?  

In my case, it was a very fun journey, learned a lot so gained lots of experience and the door way was actually a door way to sonic bliss.  

But yeah, you're right..  If you are a multi headphone person it's not the way to go.  If you are a one headphone person - it's a great way to go.

Dude, why weren't yo at the Nashville Meet, I was looking forward to reading about the DAC Shootout and blind testing?!?

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #167 of 4,030
Oh wow... So the same as the 560 in qty?
The Edition X looks so tempting. Its smoking. I have a while to decide so its cool...
Thanks folks!

Slightly more mid-bass, a little bit less low bass.  Overall slightly, slightly less, but very close.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #169 of 4,030
Did you keep the HD800s or are you going 100% Stax?

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #170 of 4,030

Check the Avatar lol...
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #171 of 4,030
Hmm given that reports of the hd800 still having the technicality crown, and Oregonian calling it not bass light, i may go for that instead of the he-x
I found the hd700 too bright to me. So ill keep checking this thread to see impressions.

What is your amplification?
The HD800 is not bass light ONLY when well amped.
In other words it most likely will sound bright, but not like that 700.
It is not easy to make the hd800 bassy without losing soundstaging from existing mods, so amp (impedance) matching applys to them.

The HD700, to me, is an abomination & should not exist(!),
As it only purpose is to reap profits by trying to look like a cheaper HD800...

The HE6 can really shine, fully moded with well matched amp.
But still has a more intimate sound coming from other open cans.
The HE560, while not same level of dynamics, had better soundstaging and just as much detailing.
Yet the HE-6 was still more real and musical.

The HE-X will be very interesting to hear.
I have high hopes for this one..
Lets hope the "price is right"...

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #172 of 4,030

Check the Avatar lol...:D

This is actually understandable, as we naturally become more critical in our listening experiences,
And our ears continually change responsivenes as we age,
And they say the outer ears (lobes?) never stop growing, also changing the reception...

In other words, your getting too demanding, lol.

Stax has always been an "end game" area to check out & I want to compare to my setup..
:)

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #174 of 4,030
This is actually understandable, as we naturally become more critical in our listening experiences,
And our ears continually change responsivenes as we age,
And they say the outer ears (lobes?) never stop growing, also changing the reception...

In other words, your getting too demanding, lol.

Stax has always been an "end game" area to check out & I want to compare to my setup..
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #175 of 4,030
HE6 always neededa fairly special treatment to sound its best, which was my quibble with it.
I mean, good luck using that powerful amp with normal sensitivity headphones...
Making a setup for one specific headphone can easily be a doorway of doom IMO...
God bless there are good headphones that don't ask that. Easy pick for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, some setups can scratch both itches - mine for example.  Have the Spec 1 pre/Spec 2 amp, fed the HE-6 out of the B speaker taps yet can still run any of the other headphones out of the headphone out without any issues.  Probably a solution that is unique to vintage speaker amps with big power but still it can be achieved. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #176 of 4,030

Hmm given that reports of the hd800 still having the technicality crown, and Oregonian calling it not bass light, i may go for that instead of the he-x
I found the hd700 too bright to me. So ill keep checking this thread to see impressions.

What is your amplification?
The HD800 is not bass light ONLY when well amped.
In other words it most likely will sound bright, but not like that 700.
It is not easy to make the hd800 bassy without losing soundstaging from existing mods, so amp (impedance) matching applys to them.

The HD700, to me, is an abomination & should not exist(!),
As it only purpose is to reap profits by trying to look like a cheaper HD800...

The HE6 can really shine, fully moded with well matched amp.
But still has a more intimate sound coming from other open cans.
The HE560, while not same level of dynamics, had better soundstaging and just as much detailing.
Yet the HE-6 was still more real and musical.

The HE-X will be very interesting to hear.
I have high hopes for this one..
Lets hope the "price is right"...

Right now I have a humble Cayin ha3 which has tons of power but I have yet to try it with high impedance headphones. 

I had the hd700 modded and it was appreciated in some ways but I cannot imagine it unmodified. It was the brightest I can tolerate while modded. 

The He 6 was here through a peachtree decco's speaker taps and it had all the bass I wanted and was a lot less bright. 

The he560 is as low in bass quantity as I am willing to except. Its soundstage was only slightly wider than the he-6 but less round, less transparent, less visceral, less physical, and even though it had more mids I like the he6 midrange more in timbre, it sounded more realistic like you said. 

If I got an hd800 I would get a modded one and use vintage gear, or just get the he-x and use the pulse xfi until I save for an amp to match. I have been guilty of going headphone first and am a bit stubborn and cheap to go otherwise, especially when there are vintage amps that get me what I want. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #178 of 4,030
Check the Avatar lol...:D

Congrats on the big move. If I wasnt so much on the road and in need of a portable/transportable gear I'd do the same.
Heard almost all hifi darling cans and there is nothing that comes even close to the 007/009. That is of course true only if you like clean, clear & neutral sound

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #179 of 4,030
Congrats on the big move. If I wasnt so much on the road and in need of a portable/transportable gear I'd do the same.
Heard almost all hifi darling cans and there is nothing that comes even close to the 007/009. That is of course true only if you like clean, clear & neutral sound

Yup My feelings exactly.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back