Hifiman Edition X
Oct 8, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #151 of 4,030
I would consider the HD800 warm through the mids, and slightly bright in the lower-mid treble transition.  (bright to very bright depending on recording).  The mild recession around 1-4khz helps the HD800 sound warm in the midrange.  Its small amount of mid-bass hump, and relatively great extension gives it a nice amount of bass for me.  Coming from the HE-560, I didn't find it lacking any.

The Edition X has actually piqued my interest though.  

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #152 of 4,030
Hmm given that reports of the hd800 still having the technicality crown, and Oregonian calling it not bass light, i may go for that instead of the he-x
I found the hd700 too bright to me. So ill keep checking this thread to see impressions.

Please don't go on my impressions…these are not my HP's, I borrowed them from TCC loaner program and just received them today so I can compare them to a list of HP's I would like to hear with my GS-Xmk2/HE-1000 combo (coming soon) so I make the right choice for my tastes…but this is what I'm hearing.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #153 of 4,030
I would consider the HD800 warm through the mids, and slightly bright in the lower-mid treble transition.  (bright to very bright depending on recording).  The mild recession around 1-4khz helps the HD800 sound warm in the midrange.  Its small amount of mid-bass hump, and relatively great extension gives it a nice amount of bass for me.  Coming from the HE-560, I didn't find it lacking any.

The Edition X has actually piqued my interest though.  

Oh wow... So the same as the 560 in qty?
The Edition X looks so tempting. Its smoking. I have a while to decide so its cool...
Thanks folks!

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #154 of 4,030
  ... I would say if you thought the HE-1k is lacking in bass, the HE-X has an overall warmer tonality that may be along the lines of what you are looking for. Also, possibly look into the LCD-X and Pioneer SE-M1 (both even bassier options imo).

Does anybody else here concur that the HE-X has more bass quantity than the HE-1K? Because if so that may be a dealbreaker for me. At least it is punchier and has more clarity in the highs than the HE-1K right? I pretty much like the bass level of the HD 650, but yeah the LCD-X is too dark for me.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #156 of 4,030

Does anybody else here concur that the HE-X has more bass quantity than the HE-1K? Because if so that may be a dealbreaker for me. At least it is punchier and has more clarity in the highs than the HE-1K right? I pretty much like the bass level of the HD 650, but yeah the LCD-X is too dark for me.

You can already tell that HFM went the wrong direction with the recent headphones. It was obvious once you heard my HD-6 on a subpar rig at canjam - so much potential. With recent mods, the HE-6 has been elevated to yet another level.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #157 of 4,030
Well then I should sure compare the HE-X to the HE-6 before I get it. But have you tried the HE-X yet? 
blink.gif

PS- I absolutely can't fathom how anybody could say the HE-6 needs more bass, unless their rig is not up to spec. I tried a modded one with a multi-thousand dollar powerhouse of an amp and by golly, this sucker had all the bass layered in astonishing definition presented effortlessly that could satisfy a basshead's desire for days afterwards! And I'm not just talking about bass quantity, but the quality was something you may never forget.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #158 of 4,030
  Well then I should sure compare the HE-X to the HE-6 before I get it. But have you tried the HE-X yet? 
blink.gif

PS- I absolutely can't fathom how anybody could say the HE-6 needs more bass, unless their rig is not up to spec. I tried a modded one with a multi-thousand dollar powerhouse of an amp and by golly, this sucker had all the bass layered in astonishing definition presented effortlessly that could satisfy a basshead's desire for days afterwards! And I'm not just talking about bass quantity, but the quality was something you may never forget.

That was MY HE-6 you're talking about.
wink_face.gif
Again, I'm calling that a subpar amp compared to mine.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #159 of 4,030
So you're talking about your Krell Evolution 302e amp, and it's better on the HE-6 than the Vinnie & Rossi amp right? So is this your best pairing for the HE-6? But I checked and it seems around $7,000 is this right?

That would be cool if we can hear about a direct A/B test from the HE-6 to HE-X 

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #160 of 4,030
HE6 always neededa fairly special treatment to sound its best, which was my quibble with it.
I mean, good luck using that powerful amp with normal sensitivity headphones...
Making a setup for one specific headphone can easily be a doorway of doom IMO...
God bless there are good headphones that don't ask that. Easy pick for me :)

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #161 of 4,030
That powerful & expensive... 

I'm sure a class A Pass Labs or First Watt would be sufficient enough for most. 
I sure enjoy HE-6 with my F6 and INT-150. Kinda favoring the F6 for now, it has some magic that the INT-150 doesnt have. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #162 of 4,030
HE6 always neededa fairly special treatment to sound its best, which was my quibble with it.
I mean, good luck using that powerful amp with normal sensitivity headphones...
Making a setup for one specific headphone can easily be a doorway of doom IMO...
God bless there are good headphones that don't ask that. Easy pick for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Why would it be a door way to doom, if that's the headphone one settles on?  

In my case, it was a very fun journey, learned a lot so gained lots of experience and the door way was actually a door way to sonic bliss.  

But yeah, you're right..  If you are a multi headphone person it's not the way to go.  If you are a one headphone person - it's a great way to go.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #163 of 4,030
Why would it be a door way to doom, if that's the headphone one settles on?  

In my case, it was a very fun journey, learned a lot so gained lots of experience and the door way was actually a door way to sonic bliss.  

But yeah, you're right..  If you are a multi headphone person it's not the way to go.  If you are a one headphone person - it's a great way to go.

Came out harsher than intended :D
I tend to only have one phone at a time, but I change it regularly, thereby if I had to build around each headphone that I ever bought, that'd mean changing something every few months, which would not be feasible :frowning2:
So if one intends to own the HE6 for a long time, then sure. If it's not for sure then nope. IMO

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #164 of 4,030
Came out harsher than intended
biggrin.gif

I tend to only have one phone at a time, but I change it regularly, thereby if I had to build around each headphone that I ever bought, that'd mean changing something every few months, which would not be feasible
frown.gif

So if one intends to own the HE6 for a long time, then sure. If it's not for sure then nope. IMO

beerchug.gif

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #165 of 4,030
Same here @TMRaven, I am loving my HD800, but the X sounds like it may be a great pairing with the 800. The 800 was a nice progression from the 560, so now looing at the HEK, X, or Ether C as a complimentary can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back