Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
May 10, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #436 of 485
My wood cups came in mail and will post tomorrow pics.

Also, if all goes well, I will rip off the dam metal grill protecting the unit as I plan to keep the wood cups on..

This I am hoping will help with the treble peak and open up sound even more.
Just need to find some damping around edge of cups where the e wood will come into contact.
Probably fill empty void space with damping material as well..

I already re-wired the cups and changed my broken headband...
EdS.jpg
It still not optimal and will eventually replace that headband as well.

My original headband was nice and a bit too stretched out,
So I tried to close it a bit..
Big mistake, so do not try to close your headband.
My snapped dead center just by pinching together with two fingers...
Maybe I too strong? Lol

They still one of best sounding headphones,
And my Audeze Sine headband also snapped in a weak spot between middle and end of headband.
Yet that was simply stretching open when lifting unit off head to my neck area when I had a coat on...

You might think I am a clumsy brute with my mishaps, but no, I have hands of a jeweler if you look at how I remodeled my amps.
:)

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #437 of 485
I have completed my mod for these headphones using the wood cups.
They didn't come out as perfect (shiny) as I wanted, but still very good quality grains,
So I went ahead anyways as the cups give a much better sound than the original covers.
I now have a closed headphone which sounds almost open with zero harshness or peak as before,
With better tone, and with totally adjustable bass.
20170514_091130.jpg
Headband mod optional.
I will post sometime this week after making a writeup.
:)

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #439 of 485
@Maxx134 I am extremely interested in your headband mod as mine snapped also.
I got that nice looking headband from a no name headphone from china,
It was perfect width, but not optimal length in the part that attaches,
So I had to bend that part.

Anyways, these wood cup covers proves that you can have better isolation and sound over the stock plastic covers.

Also making me consider to put the drivers in a completely different headphones...

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #440 of 485
I am looking for a pair to wear at my office, I use the hifiman 400s at home and I also have a pair of sennheiser hd558 sitting at home which I never used, I was thinking either the edition s or the hd558 for the office - open is fine there is not anyone near me - would the edition s sound that much better then the 558 to justify the purchase or would I be just the same with the sennheiser. I mainly listed to flac jazz - thanks

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #441 of 485
The 558 not as potable but seems nicer for workstation and a bit larger sound,
But not as comfortable as the lighter Edition S.
The determination will be your priority.
Save money?
Sound?
Then the hd558

Comfort?
Portablity?
Then the Edition S

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #442 of 485
I have had the Edition S for a little over a week now and uhhh well I'm in love.

I was looking for a quality headphone to introduce myself to the world of headphones and initially went with the Audio Technica M40x based on the many many reviews saying how awesome they were, especially for the price. Upon arrival and testing, I found that I was actually not a fan of the sound of the M40x. It is to my understanding that they are a very accurate set of headphones, perhaps too accurate for my liking as the highs were quite harsh to me and made some of my favorite songs difficult to listen to. Maybe I got a bad set, maybe I just wasn't used to "quality" sound, either way, I sent them back.

After watching Z Review's (a huge help throughout this process) video about the Edition S I decided to see if I could find a good deal on them as they seemed to be just what I was looking for after learning more about my taste in sound from my experience with the M40x. Found a great deal on a "damaged box" set and waited patiently for their arrival.

When I put the Hifimans on I was like, "OH YES!"

Pretty much everything that has been said about their sound quality on here is true, they are awesome. My untrained ear is not really able to tell much of a difference between closed and open settings, but I guess that's a good thing as I will not be disappointed when I have to use them in the closed position based on the environment I find myself in. I was afraid that a set of headphones that got rid of the sibilance I had experience with the Audio Technicas would also get rid of some other sounds that I actually wanted to stay. Thankfully the Hifimans got rid of the harshness while also presenting me with a sound quality better than any other I have ever experienced (remember, I'm just getting started with this entire headphone lifestyle and haven't gotten a chance to try many out).

Comfort: Over ear fit for me. Snug and comfortable, however, my left ear makes contact with the part that is in front of the driver. Kind of annoying at times, not a deal breaker for me.
Build Quality: The headband is a hard plastic and I can see how it is prone to snapping. The entire construction seems to be a bit fragile but I do not see them breaking as long as they are taken care of. They do not feel cheap though, it's a bit of a mid point between feeling fragile and premium.
Wire: I have had no problems with it, the controls work well for me.

These do not receive the amount of attention they deserve, I find any excuse I can to use them.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #443 of 485
It's come around to late August now, about 9 months since I've had these cans, and I'm sad to say that they may not last me any longer due to multiple cracks appearing along the headband.
I absolutely adore their sound, and even after selling my beloved X00's due to them not seeing their use, I kept my Edition S for their portability and versatility.

I don't have a very large head, but even I knew to be careful of the cheap headband construction, so each time I donned the pair, I would slide them on my head taking care not to stretch too much, rather than pulling them out and plopping them over my ears. These headphones saw use very very regularly, but I still made sure to keep them in my eggshell case until the zipper fell off of that case. That wasn't too big of a deal, but it was another quality issue.

Initially for the past couple of months I've had two small small cracks on the front of the headband where the plastic bows in on either side. This is what prompted me to be even more careful putting them on. However, just today I inspected again to have found another two cracks in the same place on the back but that had grown to be larger than the two on the front.

I will continue to enjoy these headphones as much as I can as I love their open sound and aesthetic as described on my short impressions on the 25th page of this thread. For $150, I really enjoyed the sound and use they've brought me, although the Hifiman QC still is much to be desired as of late.

On a side note, what other headphones would you guys recommend for sub $200 (used or new)? I'm keeping costs a little lower ever since my X00s, and I may grab a cheap pair of KZ ZS5's for portable use so the headphone doesn't have to be as portable.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #444 of 485
It's come around to late August now, about 9 months since I've had these cans, and I'm sad to say that they may not last me any longer due to multiple cracks appearing along the headband.
I absolutely adore their sound, and even after selling my beloved X00's due to them not seeing their use, I kept my Edition S for their portability and versatility.

I don't have a very large head, but even I knew to be careful of the cheap headband construction, so each time I donned the pair, I would slide them on my head taking care not to stretch too much, rather than pulling them out and plopping them over my ears. These headphones saw use very very regularly, but I still made sure to keep them in my eggshell case until the zipper fell off of that case. That wasn't too big of a deal, but it was another quality issue.

Initially for the past couple of months I've had two small small cracks on the front of the headband where the plastic bows in on either side. This is what prompted me to be even more careful putting them on. However, just today I inspected again to have found another two cracks in the same place on the back but that had grown to be larger than the two on the front.

I will continue to enjoy these headphones as much as I can as I love their open sound and aesthetic as described on my short impressions on the 25th page of this thread. For $150, I really enjoyed the sound and use they've brought me, although the Hifiman QC still is much to be desired as of late.

On a side note, what other headphones would you guys recommend for sub $200 (used or new)? I'm keeping costs a little lower ever since my X00s, and I may grab a cheap pair of KZ ZS5's for portable use so the headphone doesn't have to be as portable.
For portable use I been using these:
V-Moda XS, about as compact as you can get with a decent sound signature and very well built, also very easy to drive. These are about 4 years old and still look new but they only get used when I travel which is about once every other month.

Momentum on-ear or over-ear, I got these a few years ago when the second generation came out for really cheap, $65 for on-ear, $92 for over-ear. Both look brand new but like the V-Moda XS get used about the same.

MDR-7506, an oldie that has been around for many years but very well built and if you listen at lower volumes its not bad, just need to use Shure velour pads. I still use these when going to sleep and my GF is already asleep since its a closed headphone and doesn't leak much if any at the lower levels that I listen at.

I also had a TH-X00 but didn't keep them since the ear pads never fit properly on me and to me the TH600 that I have sounded more dynamic with tighter controlled bass and are slightly more comfortable due to the different ear pad design.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #446 of 485
I ordered a set of the white version but i think i got the black. I didnt open it cause of the pictures ive seen online. Does the white version have a different box?
Mine came in a white box, if yours is black

Nov 5, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #447 of 485
I'm sad to say that they may not last me any longer due to multiple cracks appearing along the headband.
Yes it is sad that they use plastic for headband but your lucky it lasted that long, as I found the headband material to not be durable.

Also, Voda is a sweet can but a step down in resolution.
It's always a compromise with portables.
Nothing perfect.
GET what your ears are liking.

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #448 of 485
anyone own these and the isine 10's ? i was curious how they compare in sound, i currently use the isine's at work and my edition x v2 at home and was thinking of getting the edition s as well for work using closed back. if the edition s don't sound much better then the isine 10 then probably wont get them - any comments appreciated

Nov 6, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #449 of 485
anyone own these and the isine 10's ? i was curious how they compare in sound, i currently use the isine's at work and my edition x v2 at home and was thinking of getting the edition s as well for work using closed back. if the edition s don't sound much better then the isine 10 then probably wont get them - any comments appreciated
I own both (although I don't really use my Edition S much at the moment). The Edition S, imo, aren't anywhere close to the iSines for what you are wanting. Closed up, they lose a lot of what makes them sound good. Open, they sound very good (nothing absolutely spectacular, but very good nonetheless), but still not in iSine territory (again, imo). I would look elsewhere if you are wanting a good solid set of closed-backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back