Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Nov 6, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #451 of 485
I own both (although I don't really use my Edition S much at the moment). The Edition S, imo, aren't anywhere close to the iSines for what you are wanting. Closed up, they lose a lot of what makes them sound good. Open, they sound very good (nothing absolutely spectacular, but very good nonetheless), but still not in iSine territory (again, imo). I would look elsewhere if you are wanting a good solid set of closed-backs.

I agree. I also have both and think the isine10 is much better. Plus, the isolation edition S is not that great compared to a true closed HP.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #452 of 485
My Editon S arrived today and after a few initial hours of listening I'm pretty impressed with their performance.

I bought them to use closed on shorter flights and trains and open when spending time alone in hotel rooms. So far I think they'll be great for my inteded usage.

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #453 of 485
With the price coming down on these, I'm very interested. I'm a really big fan of Koss KSC75s and Portapros, and tend to like active, fast, and engaging sound signitures. I need a pair of over-ears and like how these can convert back and forth from open to closed...I usually don't like closed headphones, but can see the benefit of them for certain situations. I'm looking for something very fun and effortless in the same way that the little Koss 'phones tend to be. Don't care for overly boomy and sloppy bass;would rather have a warm sound signiture with tight and impactful bass. I mostly listen to modern music ranging from alternative to electronic and pop.

Do you guys think that these would be a good fit for me and a clear, noticeable upgrade? On the cheaper side, I was looking at Koss ProDJ200s, Panasonic Htx7s, and Lasmex L85s as alternatives for adding an over-ear. Would be using my Galaxy S8 with a Fiio Q1 or Zorloo Zuperdac.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #454 of 485
JUDAS PRIEST!
My cans came yesterday just as I was walking out the door to work. So off to work they came. I've brought every pair of HPs I own to work with my so my buddy can have a listen. We both listen to the same stuff, mostly hair Nation rock. He's a strictly IEM guy. Long story short, he ordered a pair of these after listening. At 89 bucks it's a no brainer.
I think these may turn into my favorite cans yet. During headphone demos, I'm looking for imaging and separation. I have a demo Playlist I always use. I believe these rock songs give me a very good idea of the headphones imaging and separation. I can do attack or decay, as I utilize them for different situations. Attack for hitting the gym. For instance my HD 25s combined with a solid pre workout can make me want to run through a sheet rock wall Daniel Craig style. I prefer the decay for casual, chill time listening. These are the 1st cans I've heard that manage to combine the two without being overly aggressive.
This is my demo list in order -
Judas Priest, Delivering the goods
Ozzy Osbourne, Zombie stomp
AC DC, Rock n roll singer
Def Leppard, Women
Van Halen, Take your whiskey home
The Cars, Shake it up
Upon completion of Zombie stomp, I pretty much know if the HPs offer the imaging and separation I'm after. These passed with flying colors. They don't have that straight up attack like my HD 25s, but have just enough to to keep the lightning bolts running through my veins. Frankly, the imaging and separation is the best I've heard yet. The decay is just right imo. If I had to describe these in two words, I'd say clean and wide. Did I mention that these sound W..I..D..E?
I only listened with the covers on for a few songs. Everything I'm describing is with them off. Even with them on, these are not closed back. The covers don't create enough of a seal, so I'd consider these semi open or open.
The drum solo at the end of Delivering the goods sounds very airy and spacious.
The dueling guitars in Rock n roll singer had great separation.
Women - Background vocals just sound so clean and wide, and Def Leppard has some of the best background vocals in the business.
Take your whiskey home / Shake it up / Zombie stomp - Fantastic imaging
I would describe my HD 25s like a flavor packed piece of wadded up gum - In your face type of deal. Take that same juicy piece of gum and flatten it out - Edition S
The mids / vocals could be a little more forward for my taste, but nothing sounds overly pulled back or pushed forward. It's really perfect for just groovin.
I find them very comfortable and ergonomic. I could see how someone with big ears may not, as the pads could rest on your ear lobes. I'm thankful my head isn't bigger, because I could definitely see this headband snapping if it's stretched too far. I would advise handling with care for sure. I actually don't hate the cable, and find it quite usable. Much unlike the cables I've received with all my other cans.
Sorry to be long winded. I think these are fantastic, and an absolute steal at 89 bucks.

May 31, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #455 of 485
Oh yeah, the drivers have some good speed to them as well. Plenty fast for rock - good transient response. They just do most everything right, and really nothing wrong. I also forgot to mention that the metal magnetic plates on the inside of the covers weren't glued on well, and pulled off the 1st time I removed the covers. Easy fix though

May 31, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #456 of 485
Sorry to be long winded. I think these are fantastic, and an absolute steal at 89 bucks
So where you see them at that price?
:)

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #458 of 485
Update after some serious time with these. Listening through my V30 in auxiliary mode via Neutron music player -
The sound is just really good, however I my ears kept telling me that while it was good, these drivers full potential wasn't unlocked. It got to a point where I felt like I wanted more. So out of curiosity, I tricked my phone into high impedance mode and gave it a whirl. These bad boys went from really good to beautiful. Everything opened up even more and became incredibly dynamic. I know that high impedance mode doesn't change the sound in any way, it just dishes out more power. As crazy efficient as these cans are, they really come alive with some extra juice. Don't get me wrong, they sound solid straight from a phone, but it increases dramatically with more power. It really let's those big drivers come out and play.
I've posed the question here before, looking for a bigger, more spacious sounding HD 25. These are really doing it for me. The sound is still big and dynamic, yet so much more airy than my HD 25s. Still not quite as in your face, but the added stage really makes these hard to put down. I'm impressed indeed.

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:44 AM Post #459 of 485
Update after some serious time with these. Listening through my V30 in auxiliary mode via Neutron music player -
The sound is just really good, however I my ears kept telling me that while it was good, these drivers full potential wasn't unlocked. It got to a point where I felt like I wanted more. So out of curiosity, I tricked my phone into high impedance mode and gave it a whirl. These bad boys went from really good to beautiful. Everything opened up even more and became incredibly dynamic. I know that high impedance mode doesn't change the sound in any way, it just dishes out more power. As crazy efficient as these cans are, they really come alive with some extra juice. Don't get me wrong, they sound solid straight from a phone, but it increases dramatically with more power. It really let's those big drivers come out and play.
I've posed the question here before, looking for a bigger, more spacious sounding HD 25. These are really doing it for me. The sound is still big and dynamic, yet so much more airy than my HD 25s. Still not quite as in your face, but the added stage really makes these hard to put down. I'm impressed indeed.
Agreed...these sound their best when I use the high gain switch on my Q1 and pump some juice into them. Really fun sounding headphones when you hit them with some power, even though they technically don't need it at all. Also, I don't think these sound terrible with the covers on...it's just that these are clearly open back headphones as far as tuning goes, and that having some isolation through the covers is a sort of added bonus/compromise. My Monoprice M560s are the exact same way...open is open and closed is closed; you literally can't do both and need to compromise somewhere. But the Edition S is a really fun little headphone that does a lot of things right.

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #460 of 485
Agreed...these sound their best when I use the high gain switch on my Q1 and pump some juice into them. Really fun sounding headphones when you hit them with some power, even though they technically don't need it at all. Also, I don't think these sound terrible with the covers on...it's just that these are clearly open back headphones as far as tuning goes, and that having some isolation through the covers is a sort of added bonus/compromise. My Monoprice M560s are the exact same way...open is open and closed is closed; you literally can't do both and need to compromise somewhere. But the Edition S is a really fun little headphone that does a lot of things right.
It does indeed do a lot of things right. Bass became more taut with greater impact with some added juice. Treble is a little more up front, but never harsh. Fun is a good way to describe them. I've almost pulled the trigger on the 560s a few times. I had a pair of he400s that I just sold. I really liked them, but I don't think my phone made them as happy as they wanted to be. Same thing that keeps me away from the 560s. On paper, the Hifiman are more efficient. I think my next open back will be the hd6xx. I'm just worried I will find them a little too mellow and laid back for rock. Wish I could demo the 650 somewhere. Anybody who owns both the HD650 and the Edition S care to provide a comparison? I assume everything would be a little more held back and neutral with a richer sound, but likely a bigger stage. I wonder which ones have better imaging, accuracy and separation. If it's the HD650, I'll have to get it.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #461 of 485
It does indeed do a lot of things right. Bass became more taut with greater impact with some added juice. Treble is a little more up front, but never harsh. Fun is a good way to describe them. I've almost pulled the trigger on the 560s a few times. I had a pair of he400s that I just sold. I really liked them, but I don't think my phone made them as happy as they wanted to be. Same thing that keeps me away from the 560s. On paper, the Hifiman are more efficient. I think my next open back will be the hd6xx. I'm just worried I will find them a little too mellow and laid back for rock. Wish I could demo the 650 somewhere. Anybody who owns both the HD650 and the Edition S care to provide a comparison? I assume everything would be a little more held back and neutral with a richer sound, but likely a bigger stage. I wonder which ones have better imaging, accuracy and separation. If it's the HD650, I'll have to get it.

I personally find the warm and laid-back sound from the HD650 quite boring. The Edition S has a lot more energy and is more engaging in its presentation.

For people who enjoy the Edition S (I'm on of them) the HD700 and HE560 would be a natural upgrade path if a similar engaging sound is the goal.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #462 of 485
I personally find the warm än laid-back sound from the HD650 quite boring. The Edition S has a lot more energy and is more engaging in its presentation.

For people who enjoy the Edition S (I'm on of them) the HD700 and HE560 would be a natural upgrade path if a similar engaging sound is the goal.
Funny you should say that. I recently auditioned both the Edition S and HD700, and I prefer the Hifiman. The HD700 is obviously (fairly) more resolving being almost 3 times the cost, but it sounded a bit weird to me seemingly having a big chunk of mid frequency missing. It seemed to be very much bass and treble with a hollow character. In short I much preferred the character of the Edition S. It seemed much more balanced in sound signature, with a much more natural tonality, to me anyway. I ended up ordering the white Ed S straight from Hifiman.

Jun 3, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #463 of 485
Funny you should say that. I recently auditioned both the Edition S and HD700, and I prefer the Hifiman. The HD700 is obviously (fairly) more resolving being almost 3 times the cost, but it sounded a bit weird to me seemingly having a big chunk of mid frequency missing. It seemed to be very much bass and treble with a hollow character. In short I much preferred the character of the Edition S. It seemed much more balanced in sound signature, with a much more natural tonality, to me anyway. I ended up ordering the white Ed S straight from Hifiman.

My HD700 is modded (Anaxilus) I forgot to mention that. I personally doesn't find its midrange to have any less presence than the Edition S but as always YMMV.

For midrange isolated the HD650 is extremely hard to beat tbh.

Jun 3, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #464 of 485
My HD700 is modded (Anaxilus) I forgot to mention that. I personally doesn't find its midrange to have any less presence than the Edition S but as always YMMV.

For midrange isolated the HD650 is extremely hard to beat tbh.
Agree 100% I've got the 6xx on order. The 600 and 650 are buttery midrange kings.

Jun 3, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #465 of 485
I personally find the warm and laid-back sound from the HD650 quite boring. The Edition S has a lot more energy and is more engaging in its presentation.

Right on. That was what I was assuming regarding the HD650, and hearing you confirm that makes my want to buy and try significantly less. Are there any other engaging cans you would recommend, open or closed that are a little easier to drive? I currently have an HD 25, M-Audio Q40, and Meze 99 Neo (Should have got the Classics). They all manage to keep me rocking in a good way. I've purchased and returned close to 3X that many cans, and got a little burnt out on the buy and try madness method lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back