Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Aug 22, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #257 of 485

This is a really early work in progress, but I wanted to showoff the wood cups idea I was talking about a couple of pages back. These are made from Redwood that I was able to reclaim from my parents house after some repairs. I have never worked with wood before so this has been and is a bit of a learning process. I plan to remake these, once this set is done and proven true, in a few different woods. As soon as I finish sanding the inside, and I get some sheet metal to stick on a small portion of the inside for the magnet, I will give'em a listen. I'm pretty excited about the entire process!  

excellent work I would buy a Wood cups off you!
:)

Hey, I have a question for you all.

Is anyone here ( @Maxx
 included) able to measure the Edition S? Many people are complaining about the wonky signature, but I'd like to see whether it can be improved with some EQ - the detail is there, the soundstage is there, and with some adjustments it can possibly be a very scary headphone. Is anyone here able to help?

Member "Serious" came to my house yesterday and did some measuring.
The mids to lower range is quite excellent.
Yet also there is a few very very close dips and peaks which I must consult him about.
Basically you can EQ a given range but I am not thinking possible to adjust such narrow changes.
The overall freq range seems very good with exception of those interesting narrow peaks.
I am starting to believe they may be intentional, but thre is always the possibility to mod them even MORE open to see if they flatten out in that range.

If you hold up the cup to light, you will see only a few port holes in the rear which is dampened with material taped over the driver.
This is a porous type tape found on many drivers to control the driver.

Anyways Too much info and nothing to take away yet.

what I very much disagree here is on the design/stiffness of the headband.
This may be a problem if they do not adjust the properties to be more flexible.

Aug 22, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #258 of 485
If anyone's interested, I reviewed the Edition S here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-edition-s/reviews/16681

This Review is pretty much spot on,
and I am very impressed at such a well written review.

I always have covers off though so I always sound excellent, especially in resolution & realism.

Although I did notice that tonality can be skewed by the amount of clamping on your head.
Pressing closer gave a darker tonality, while lifting or loosening gave a lighter tonality.
And yes one similarity of headphone type that comes to mind is Grado, in openness and detail.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #259 of 485
Member "Serious" came to my house yesterday and did some measuring.
The mids to lower range is quite excellent.
Yet also there is a few very very close dips and peaks which I must consult him about.
Basically you can EQ a given range but I am not thinking possible to adjust such narrow changes.
The overall freq range seems very good with exception of those interesting narrow peaks.
I am starting to believe they may be intentional, but thre is always the possibility to mod them even MORE open to see if they flatten out in that range.

If you hold up the cup to light, you will see only a few port holes in the rear which is dampened with material taped over the driver.
This is a porous type tape found on many drivers to control the driver.

Anyways Too much info and nothing to take away yet.

what I very much disagree here is on the design/stiffness of the headband.
This may be a problem if they do not adjust the properties to be more flexible.

Do you have graphs of these measurements? I don't have much experience in any of this, but I would love to try to neutralize the Edition S based of the graphs, and see if that makes it even better :) Or you can try to do it, you've had much more experience than me in this xD

Also, did you see anything at 4hz? I think I heard it had a nice peak there. I was just wondering.

Did you also have some trouble with the fit? I was told that most people were fine with it, but I did have some issues.

Aug 22, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #260 of 485
This Review is pretty much spot on,
and I am very impressed at such a well written review.
smily_headphones1.gif

I always have covers off though so I always sound excellent, especially in resolution & realism.

Although I did notice that tonality can be skewed by the amount of clamping on your head.
Pressing closer gave a darker tonality, while lifting or loosening gave a lighter tonality.
And yes one similarity of headphone type that comes to mind is Grado, in openness and detail.

Thanks! I try.

I didn't notice that, maybe I'll have another look. I was looking for a tighter clamp because I didn't want a bad seal to change the sound, and perhaps that's what made me think it was somewhat darker.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:39 AM Post #261 of 485
Finally got round to posting the Edition-S review. I wonder why this little headphone isn't as popular on Head-Fi and with headphone fans, I quite like its sound

http://www.headfonia.com/review-hifiman-edition-s-portable-fun/

Sure it's not the best Hifiman has to offer but for $249 I can't find much wrong with it. On top of that it looks great, is easy to drive and always sounds good (this is subjective of course).

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #262 of 485
  Finally got round to posting the Edition-S review. I wonder why this little headphone isn't as popular on Head-Fi and with headphone fans, I quite like its sound

http://www.headfonia.com/review-hifiman-edition-s-portable-fun/

Sure it's not the best Hifiman has to offer but for $249 I can't find much wrong with it. On top of that it looks great, is easy to drive and always sounds good (this is subjective of course).

Really enjoyed reading the review! Nice AK70 DAP to go along with it you have :)

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #264 of 485
Just ordered a pair of Ed S, I'm really hoping I enjoy what they're capable of.  I wonder if I'll prefer it open or closed.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #265 of 485
Yes this headphone has much potential.
Magnets are so strong you could basically stick any metal plate or magnet design's on it lol.
I am currently looking it over for customization (sound&looks).

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #266 of 485
Just ordered a pair of Ed S, I'm really hoping I enjoy what they're capable of.  I wonder if I'll prefer it open or closed.

I can almost guarantee that soundwise, you will prefer open. But closed is good for those times you need to be quiet and not disturb your surroundings. What I like abut this headphone is that it responds well to a little eq. IMO they lack a bit in the mid range, leaving some instruments/vocals sounding a lil hollow. But adding a. Implementation dB in the mid frequencies fills in the gap, and these babies can/will shine

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #267 of 485
Well, my Ed S has arrived, and I'm listening to my vocals test track, Nobuo Uematsu - Distant Worlds. It's seems to be an enjoyable headphone taking a fun balancing instead of analytical, but vocals don't seem to suffer from this. It helps provide some weight to orchestral instuments that can sometimes be lacking on the hyper-analytical IEMs & earbuds I've tried. As this is advertised as an on ear portable, I bought this hoping for it to outdo my 1st gen Momentum as well as my beloved Skullcandy Aviator. Yes I know it's Skullcandy, but to me it's probably the finest headphone they've made to my knowledge. Either way, initial impressions puts the Ed S above either by a bit. It's balancing reminds me of the HD700 so far, but will have to compare later. Instruments have some actually really impressive quality compared to what I expected. It's not phenomenal, but it's a little surprising. Comfort-wise, it's better than my other portables, but for me this is an over ear, with just enough cup depth. I wonder if Hifiman will do a planar version in the future.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #269 of 485
Zeos just made his HIfiman Edition S review public and gives a pretty glowing recommendation for use as a portable set of headphones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0NqlVHoJFo

His video was the first time I realized that these aren't really on-ears. Hifiman did themselves a disservice by marketing them as such, because while I was very intrigued when I first heard about them and being able to convert from open to closed, once I read that they were on-ears I immediately dismissed them because I hate on-ears. Now I'm thinking about picking up a pair

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #270 of 485
His video was the first time I realized that these aren't really on-ears. Hifiman did themselves a disservice by marketing them as such, because while I was very intrigued when I first heard about them and being able to convert from open to closed, once I read that they were on-ears I immediately dismissed them because I hate on-ears. Now I'm thinking about picking up a pair

It really was a pleasant surprise, nice earpads too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back