Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Aug 2, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #211 of 485
  I am 24 Hours in.  I am using Roon w/Tidal > DragonTail > JitterBug > Red and sometimes my Red as a DAC > Tower > Vali 2.  I have been playing my XLO System Burn-in Track in between listening sessions
If someone broke into my house tonight and took my SR325e and HD600 but left the Edition S, I might be okay with it.  If you love the Grado "House Sound", these may be your Holy Grail of Headphones.  I know that's a lot of hyperbole.  More impressions to come. 

I do love the Edition S but I've actually never liked Grado headphones too much myself. . . .

I do see that like many others, you have noticed that the Edition S performs equally or better than more expensive and higher-end headphones, quite possibly better than the likes of the HD600 :)  Pretty amazing, huh?  Especially considering how much harder it is to drive the HD600 well, as opposed to the Edition S which can easily be powered by anything!  The Edition S sounds great out of my QP1R, which can only do a lackluster job powering the likes of the HD600.

Who says that dynamic-driver headphones need to be high-impedance or low-sensitivity in order to sound really good?  Sennheiser seems to think so, so does Beyerdynamic, and many other companies, but it seems that isn't necessarily true with top-notch modern engineering.

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #212 of 485
So the Hifiman HE-1000 and Edition X are both getting 'Version 2' soon. Hopefully this isn't indicative of their plans for the Edition S. If they make the pads smaller are they going to call it an IEM?

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #213 of 485
  So the Hifiman HE-1000 and Edition X are both getting 'Version 2' soon. Hopefully this isn't indicative of their plans for the Edition S. If they make the pads smaller are they going to call it an IEM?

Hahahaha seems about right.

"We at HiFiMan believe in designing 'on-ear' headphones for giants who don't even exist outside the realm of fantasy!  Now, behold our new giant IEM's that are actually on-ears for humans!"

Aug 4, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #214 of 485

Hahahaha seems about right.

"We at HiFiMan believe in designing 'on-ear' headphones for giants who don't even exist outside the realm of fantasy!  Now, behold our new giant IEM's that are actually on-ears for humans!"

Well, not to burst your bubble but seems a bit of online searching shows such skeletons so there actually may have been giants long ago.
:p

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #215 of 485
If anyone from the UK is looking for a pair and not really sure about them, there's a pair on sale on head-fi for nearly half price. Absolutely worth it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815942/hifiman-edition-s-headphones

Aug 7, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #217 of 485
Hi all, so I've gotten my set and ive did some preliminary checks. It seems that when folding up the headphone to pack it in the carrying case, the hinge on left ear cup, the folding mechanism, is loose as compared to the right ear cup.

When I fold the right ear cup inwards, in stays in position. When I fold the left ear cup inwards, it doesn't stay in position.

Anyone facing this issue?

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #218 of 485
Hi all, so I've gotten my set and ive did some preliminary checks. It seems that when folding up the headphone to pack it in the carrying case, the hinge on left ear cup, the folding mechanism, is loose as compared to the right ear cup.

When I fold the right ear cup inwards, in stays in position. When I fold the left ear cup inwards, it doesn't stay in position.

Anyone facing this issue?

Huh. Both hinges fall freely when holding the headphone right side up for me. I just thought it was supposed to be that way.

Aug 8, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #221 of 485
Well, not to burst your bubble but seems a bit of online searching shows such skeletons so there actually may have been giants long ago.
tongue.gif

Dude those are fake.  All of them.  Just one example of such a "find" being proven a hoax:  http://www.snopes.com/photos/odd/giantman.asp

Anyway these are awesome "on-ear" (ha) headphones right here :)

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #222 of 485
tongue.gif

Dude those are fake.  All of them.  Just one example of such a "find" being proven a hoax:  http://www.snopes.com/photos/odd/giantman.asp

If it wasn't for isolation not being as great as Oppo PM-3's isolation.

I would've gotten Hifiman Edition S. I might pick these up in future for home listening actually.

I would very highly recommend doing so, sooner rather than later.  These are awesome.  By all accounts of the PM-3's sound and a very brief listen I've had myself before, the Oppo PM-3 can't come close to the soundstaging and layering from these headphones, as well as technical aspects (these are just so strikingly clear).

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #223 of 485

I would very highly recommend doing so, sooner rather than later.  These are awesome.  By all accounts of the PM-3's sound and a very brief listen I've had myself before, the Oppo PM-3 can't come close to the soundstaging and layering from these headphones, as well as technical aspects (these are just so strikingly clear).

Also how is the headphone with closed covers on? For sure I would think with them open things are better.

Aug 9, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #224 of 485
To me, the issue may stem from wanting to have the image of portability..
I believe Portability gains more interests to "non headfi" consumer market...
That's why I think Hifiman stance is to leave it as is.

Yet I think these Edition S, being over-ear, is a HUGE benefit over the Sine.

+1 to what you just stated & the Novel Feature, the removable plate. Here's hoping the market will appreciate... 

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #225 of 485
Yeah Ive read reivews where hifiman edition S has advantages over audeze sine. As well as over ear circumaural comfort.

Most of the negative points most put are Plastic build quality, or that it's subjectively believed that Hifiman edition S is a low end product because Hifiman specializes in Planar Magnetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back