Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Jun 23, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #122 of 485
I've been looking for reviews but seems like this beauty isn't getting much attention

I've reviewed it :)

Best way to describe them is your music comes alive. Very easy to drive so even from a Samsung Galaxy S7 they explode into action. Punchy , dynamic and fast.

I have Bose QC35. The Bose sound quite good but vs Edition S, the Bose sound like their buried in a coffin.

The Edition S feels like jumping into a fire,

Jun 23, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #123 of 485

Best way to describe them is your music comes alive. Very easy to drive so even from a Samsung Galaxy S7 they explode into action. Punchy , dynamic and fast.

I have Bose QC35. The Bose sound quite good but vs Edition S, the Bose sound like their buried in a coffin.

It has a lively, 3D and holographic sound. That's a way to put it

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #124 of 485
After having the Edition S for a few weeks I can say they stack up pretty well against much more expensive cans! They're very easy to drive and super comfortable. They seem to come up on Ebay pretty regularly.

Jun 26, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #125 of 485
Anybody else find the Edition S harsh, grating and strident in the upper mid/lower treble region?

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #127 of 485
Jun 27, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #128 of 485
There's definitely boosted treble on the Edition S-I can easily see how that would translate to harshness at higher listening levels for some. The treble on mine smoothed out after about 100 hours of burn in, however, it wasn't really that harsh to begin with for me. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #130 of 485

It has a lively, 3D and holographic sound. That's a way to put it

Initial impressions are it is brighter than neutral with good bass extension, although not elevated.
With ability to simulate a very large Soundstage when back covers are open.
The bass has deep tight articulate extension and weight, although fairly neutral in level.
I suspect the large 50mm drivers response for such nice balance.
It does not have the associated closed cup type of bass or pressure.

The bass is like a planar in that sense.
The treble has extremely good presence and air without being artificial or sibilant.
Treble is not plastic or metallic so that is a great achievement.
Extremely good detailing.

out the box, It does seem a bit subdued in lower treble, which adds to the sense of space by not being forward.

This is where they altered the headphones from neutrality, to make it uniquely large, to have that similar sound they trying to achieve with all their latest models.

The good thing, is that the headphones sound juicy and alive signature, while being spacious and detailed.

Tonality of vocals is very realistic, making most mid-tier models like a "Sony MR1" to sound unnaturally mid-centric, with less realism and resolve. .
I suspect the unusually strong magnets to be responsible for such control.
They so strong it's a bit trouble to take the covers off(!).

I found that break in resolves initial issues in trebles.
Iaauws essentially disappeared with more burn in time,
In which low level playing becomes more lively and enjoyable.
These headphones had noticeable break in with this effect and the bass opening up effect.
It is very good quality bass.

The headphones break in elevated the bass from neutral to slightly bassy or more powerful while still very resolving thruout the whole frequency range.

This is a high quality detailed sound with dimensional body and depth, most likely from its open design but the cover hardly changed the sound in that regard.

I compared it to my Oppo PM2 and Ultrasonic ED5 for realism and Soundstage.
It reminds me of both in that regard.
Bass extension of PM2(lower level) & Soundstage of ED5(more natural).
It is surprisingly at similar level performance (!)

ED5 is a closed headphone which uses some technology to increase the stage to be more larger and spacious than the PM2 with velour pads (!),
With unique ability to separate the sounds within the 3 dimensional soundfield, which turns out this hifiman headphone has similar ability to do!!.
Both have a larger Soundstage over my PM2!

I would say they key points of the Edition S headphone is Soundstage and bass extension..
The bass is fairly exellent with unusual extension and articulation.

The treble is very very articulate as well.
These headphones have high resolution over most mid level and I would consider these as upper mid level or high level portable solution.

The issue lies in its signature when new has a slight peaky in trebles to those sensitive to that.
Trebles do even out to spacious realism.
It does not sound laid back or recessed. It sounds alive and fun with a technical resolution.

Also of great importance is the pads...
They are quite unique in that they has a spacious inner diameter that is larger , and more shaped to the ear,
On comparison to the other two TOP PORTABLES..:

They are also, most probably, the most comfortable over ear portables you will ever put on ypue head..(!)

The only issue I have noted is the pads will have a fuller sound with more pressure applied to head.
The headband pressure can be slightly adjusted over time to expand,
But don't squeeze them or stretch them as the headband is not flexible and may be prone to damage if flexed too much.

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #131 of 485
maybe something wrong with mine or me

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #132 of 485
maybe something wrong with mine or me

Absolutely nothing wrong with you at all lol,

because it is known distance of ear canal is where the sensitivity Treble Comes to play..

Various ear shapes & especially ear canal distance will give different levels of treble sensitivities ...

So you yours are more sensitive to trebles which is where details are,
which is good for you when you get old

for now you will need higher source like a yggy and a smooth amplification like tube amp! haha

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #133 of 485

Anybody else find the Edition S harsh, grating and strident in the upper mid/lower treble region? 

I've found them to be quite the opposite. What are you using for amplification?

It could be specific to his model as we don't know:
1- if he is using it open or closed
2- if Hifiman changed the signature,
As this is the region I noticed was subdued just below.
3- if his sources are a bit strident and it is accentuated with the headphones moderate/slight treble elevation.

I would definitely suggest the PM3 for you as they do not have any treble elevation.

Although I like these hifiman alot,
I'm thinking of trying the Audeze sign next and last.
But it is like the PM2 & ED5 , in the fact that it is too expensive to be using as portable.

For me I do believe this unit strikes my purpose being a quality portable solution that is not so expensive If lost or broken,
while somehow managing to fit over my ear instead of on ear.

Looking at the unit I see very large drivers.

Not sure the size but looks like about 50mm very impressive .

I do have one more headphones to compare on the way but they are closed type, the "B51" with some beryllium alloy driver.

I think I will keep these edition S because of the small form factor, large sound, and price point if you can find for 200 or less.
:)

I may sell my lush PM2 because these fit my portable purpose better.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #134 of 485
OK further testing against the other two revivals confirmation that the headphone is just as detailed if not more(!)

Soundstage is slightly larger than PM2 with velour, but not as larger as Ultrasonic ED5, which has a deeper further soundfield.
Regardless, this unit signature is slightly more lively than the others.

Also found the mystery of the treble issue for member Beagle...

If you place the cups on top of ears, the balanced signature gets brighter.

While, if you place the rear outer part of your ear inside, the sound is very balanced and with great extension on bass.

Doing so you can actually place your whole ear inside if you have medium to small ears.

Large ears won't fit totally inside, but still do sound better if try to have most of it in.

The inner diameter is very large and spacious which can fit most ears inside.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back