Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Jun 1, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #91 of 485
The covers are pretty stable ime, knock wood.

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #92 of 485
They are held on pretty strongly. They need to be pried off, rather than just lifted, so I can't imagine any scenario where just by walking they fall off. In fact I just tried shaking them pretty hard, and nothing happened. 

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #94 of 485
So, I've had nearly a week with the headphones now, and wanted to give some updated impressions.

Firstly, these headphones are incredibly easy to drive. On my DX90, my normal listening volume with Momentum On-Ears is around 220 (goes up to 250). With these, it's around 200-210, which is similar to IEMs I use with it (all on high gain). Because of this, I can push them to levels where they distort (and also painful). This is good for anyone who wants to use their cans directly from a player without a more advanced amp stage.

Secondly, although they are 'Closed' and 'Open' headphones, they're really more just Open headphones with the ability to reduce the exterior sound level. They do leak sound with the covers on. It's not awful, but if you intend to only use these in public places, you would be better served with a set of closed back headphones. If I set the volume to normal listening levels, it hardly leaks any sound, but it also doesn't block out louder sounds. 

It's very strange compared to some Open Headphones. If I put my HE-400 on, and put my hands over the grilles, it sounds awful. The Hifiman Edition S sound great both Open or Closed. And it changes the sound exactly as you'd expect. When the covers are on, the bass is more prominent and instruments get grouped closer together. When Open, the bass doesn't feel like it has as much impact, but the sounder has more air, and the soundstage is wider. 

I really do like these headphones. The sound is around 90-95% of the HE-400 (original), but cheaper than the HE-400 originally cost, and with the added benefit of the ability to wear them out in public. 

However, I do have one caveat. If you are ONLY searching for a pair of headphones that you will ONLY wear out in public, and will not give any home use, then these are not for you. The major benefit of these headphones is the versatility (and they sound really good too). That isn't to say that these are bad portable headphones - they are great - but if you are looking for portable headphones that block out as much noise as possible and leak no sound, these cannot accomplish both of those goals. The sound leakage isn't awful, but any design that allows a change between Open and Closed is inevitably going to lack the advantages of a true closed back headphone.

If you are looking for a set of headphones that you can wear in public and sound great, but when you return home you can unleash their other side, then I can't really think of many better options, and certainly none at the same price point.

Jun 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #95 of 485
Agree with pretty much all Hobgoblinpie posted with a slight disagreement on the leakage issue, which was the same as I posted earlier except after going two weeks on public transportation with them I think it's not that big of a thing.

I mean if you're specifically listening for leakage in a silent environment you'll say "woah!" But if you're actually traveling on a plane or train you're fine I think. They don't leak as bad as Beats 1.0 which everyone wears but at the same time almost every portable headphone will have less leakage.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #96 of 485
Gotta say, I chose the ATH-MSR7's over this. Was weighing both up but the MSR7's looked more portable and would isolate more sound. I work in a quiet office and am super-paranoid about leakage. 
Have we got any comparisons to other headphones to talk about?

Jun 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #97 of 485
Gotta say, I chose the ATH-MSR7's over this. Was weighing both up but the MSR7's looked more portable and would isolate more sound. I work in a quiet office and am super-paranoid about leakage. 
Have we got any comparisons to other headphones to talk about?

Good choice I think if you're specifically concerned about leakage-Edition S is not the best in that department. It's sufficient in most situations but if you're talking about a quiet environment get something else.

The SOUND though!

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #98 of 485
I'm going to have to retract my statement about the sound leakage. It's honestly not as bad as I thought it was. My conditions for checking sound leakage were in very quiet/dead silent areas. If you commute, or work in an office where there is a base level of ambient noise, they would be fine. Honestly, just for the sound alone, these are well worth giving a listen.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #100 of 485
Can anyone else comment on the durability or strength of build quality of the hinges? I'd like to be safe before possibly purchasing one, and no one wants a broken hinge like we saw!

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #103 of 485
I tested an Edition S for a week with my mobile phone, with a FiiO X3 II and finally with a Burson Conductor V2+
In my opinion the CLOSED configuration is only marketing because the sound loses a lot in boy and presence and take a metal connotation, I don'tl like with any surce
In OPEN configuration is a very GOOD headphone !
I found the sound very FULL and correct in all range, you can continue to hear hear herar fro hours ... the only problem is the comfort of that Edition S, for my head is not good, to hot on my ears and the bow is a little to tight and after 40/50 minutes I can't continue to stay with that headphone on my ears
But I repeat in OPEN configuration the Edition S have a great sound !

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #104 of 485
I'll get my review done at the weekend but these things rock. Can't take them off. Work so well straight from my Samsung S7. Using my Oppo HA-2 is crazy good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back