Hifiman Edition S - NEW Closed Portable
Nov 11, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #349 of 485

I think they look rather nice in white, and I have a dearth of white headphones, so that makes them even more appealing to me, but honestly, even if they were hot pink with glitter, I'd still want them because they seem to have a reputation here of sounding pretty darn good. 
k701smile.gif

Now if only they are still around next Tuesday when I get paid. 
redface.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #350 of 485
I think they look rather nice in white, and I have a dearth of white headphones, so that makes them even more appealing to me, but honestly, even if they were hot pink with glitter, I'd still want them because they seem to have a reputation here of sounding pretty darn good. :k701smile:

Now if only they are still around next Tuesday when I get paid. :xf_eek:

It should still be around by then. There's hundreds left.

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #354 of 485
First impressions, they are pretty comfortable with great weight distribution across my whole head, the headband doesn't hurt my head like many single headband designed headphones do. A lot of clamping force, but some stretching solved this issue for me. The earcups go around my entire ear so I would consider them more of an over ear design. 
Opening the earcups add a bit more air and soundstage but the difference is not night and day, not that surprised considering they leak some sound even when closed. Opening the earcups makes the mids sound more natural and fuller bodied but they are still a bit recessed, what surprised me is that opening the earcups increases the bass quantity and it almost became too boomy for me in certain songs. There is definitely a treble peak somewhere which was evident when the cymbals of a track was a bit too upfront. Will EQ later

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #355 of 485
First impressions, they are pretty comfortable with great weight distribution across my whole head, the headband doesn't hurt my head like many single headband designed headphones do. A lot of clamping force, but some stretching solved this issue for me. The earcups go around my entire ear so I would consider them more of an over ear design. 
Opening the earcups add a bit more air and soundstage but the difference is not night and day, not that surprised considering they leak some sound even when closed. Opening the earcups makes the mids sound more natural and fuller bodied but they are still a bit recessed, what surprised me is that opening the earcups increases the bass quantity and it almost became too boomy for me in certain songs. There is definitely a treble peak somewhere which was evident when the cymbals of a track was a bit too upfront. Will EQ later

Sounds like you need to burn them in some more.

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #356 of 485
I only have three other cans, Sennheiser momentum (on-ear, first gen), AKG K550 and HE-400. The momentums have more bass but they're aimed at that, but it's not tight and punchy. It's not too boomy either, but it definitely isn't as tight. The K550s have no bass at all, and the HE-400 has a bit more too, but it's not as articulate. If you like crisp and punchy bass, you'll like these.

Interesting you say this. I own momentum and Edition S as well, and my Edition S definitely has more sub bass and lower mid range. It's the upper mid range that is lacking ever so slightly in the bass production. Vocals just ever so slightly thin when compared to the normal

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #358 of 485

I know what you mean about the peek. But I've had mine for months and they have settled a lot. Also out of box, the mods were a little thin, lacking some bass in vocals and instruments, but that has also improved with many hours of use time.ove them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back