Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Jul 7, 2021 at 11:59 PM Post #811 of 984
Got the Bluemini delivered today. However, there was no USB cable found in the package for charging the dongle . I tried the USB cable of my WD passport drive to connect but the miniusb could not connect the dongle. In Hifiman Deva manual, they mentioned like "The Bluemini can only be charged using the supplied USB cable". I mailed the customer service for USB cable, they are saying the dongle can be charged with a charging cable that is used to charge the mobile phones. Is this true?
Yes, but it is not a mini-USB, it is a a USB C cable (the kind that you can insert either way).

Jul 26, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #813 of 984
Seller sent the USB c cable separately but the cable is too short and also not of good quality. I need to buy a new cable of adequate length and of good quality.
Yeah, the one sent with the Deva is indeed very short. I have just been using the USB-C to USB-A cables that I have for my phone chargers, and they work fine.

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #814 of 984
I’ve been really enjoying these cans the last 2 months or so. Use them around the house all the time doing dishes or whatever.

I bought a 256gb sd card for my old galaxy S9 phone and loaded up all my music. All flac cd quality or better. (Some is 24/192 not sure if the dac in the deva can do that resolution)

My favorite way to listen is with a usb c cable from my phone to the bluemini. Don’t feel like I’m losing any portability but sounds better than Bluetooth. Don’t get me wrong the Bluetooth sound very good but these headphones are very fast and have lots of detail so they reward your effort of using the cable.

Aug 2, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #815 of 984
I got these about a week ago direct from the Hifiman store. I have the newer model with the Bluemini II module. It's my first planar headphone and I love it. I've been mostly listening wired with my desktop setup (Topping D10s DAC and HeadAmp Gilmore Lite amp), and the sound is great. I've tried it with the bluetooth connection, and it's definitely better than my other BT cans. I'd like to take full advantage of the USB DAC connection on my phone (Pixel 4a 5G running Android 11) but I can't get UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) to work with the Bluemini USB DAC connection (the app works fine with my Hidisz Sonata HD DAC). When I connect the USB cable from my phone to the Bluemini, I can play music through other apps (including Qobuz, where I stream and download Hi-Res music). But I'm pretty sure, they are not sending the original hi-res stream to the Bluemini DAC. From what I've read (and what I can tell), UAPP is the only way to bypass the Android sound processing on my Pixel and send original quality Hi-Res files to the DAC. When I use the UAPP app, it recognizes the DAC connection but immediately disconnects it after connecting. If you're familiar with UAPP, I get the windows that asks to allow UAPP to access/handle HIFIMAN BLUEMINI; when I click OK I get the message "USB audio device initialized!" but then it immediately gives the message "USB device detached" and takes me back to the access window. And in the process, it turns the power off on the Bluemini. I asked Hifiman customer service, and they think it's a problem with UAPP. I'm about to ask UAPP devs next but I thought I'd try to find out if anyone here is using UAPP successfully with the Bluemini.

Aug 2, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #816 of 984
I got these about a week ago direct from the Hifiman store. I have the newer model with the Bluemini II module. It's my first planar headphone and I love it. I've been mostly listening wired with my desktop setup (Topping D10s DAC and HeadAmp Gilmore Lite amp), and the sound is great. I've tried it with the bluetooth connection, and it's definitely better than my other BT cans. I'd like to take full advantage of the USB DAC connection on my phone (Pixel 4a 5G running Android 11) but I can't get UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro) to work with the Bluemini USB DAC connection (the app works fine with my Hidisz Sonata HD DAC). When I connect the USB cable from my phone to the Bluemini, I can play music through other apps (including Qobuz, where I stream and download Hi-Res music). But I'm pretty sure, they are not sending the original hi-res stream to the Bluemini DAC. From what I've read (and what I can tell), UAPP is the only way to bypass the Android sound processing on my Pixel and send original quality Hi-Res files to the DAC. When I use the UAPP app, it recognizes the DAC connection but immediately disconnects it after connecting. If you're familiar with UAPP, I get the windows that asks to allow UAPP to access/handle HIFIMAN BLUEMINI; when I click OK I get the message "USB audio device initialized!" but then it immediately gives the message "USB device detached" and takes me back to the access window. And in the process, it turns the power off on the Bluemini. I asked Hifiman customer service, and they think it's a problem with UAPP. I'm about to ask UAPP devs next but I thought I'd try to find out if anyone here is using UAPP successfully with the Bluemini.
First of all, congrats on a wonderful pair of phones! Hope you love them as much as I do?!

As to your issue, try turning charging mode off on the Bluemini (the button nearest the middle of the device). Some phones don't allow USB audio out while charging. Might be that UAPP doesn't allow USB audio out while charging. It used to be that way in android (before USB audio was such a thing). I ran into this issue while trying to use my Fiio E17K from my phone. I had to turn off charging, and then it worked.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #817 of 984
First of all, congrats on a wonderful pair of phones! Hope you love them as much as I do?!

As to your issue, try turning charging mode off on the Bluemini (the button nearest the middle of the device). Some phones don't allow USB audio out while charging. Might be that UAPP doesn't allow USB audio out while charging. It used to be that way in android (before USB audio was such a thing). I ran into this issue while trying to use my Fiio E17K from my phone. I had to turn off charging, and then it worked.
Thanks for the suggestion. I can't figure out how to turn off charging mode on the Bluemini II. I sent a note to Hifiman customer service about this question but I haven't heard back yet. I noticed in the product announcements that it said there was a way to disengage the charging circuit when plugged in by USB. The manual for the original (Bluemini I) has instructions on p20. that say to hold the charging button for 2 seconds before connecting the USB cable:

When you would like to preserve power in the portable device of portable devices and enter USB mode without charging, press the charging button for 2 seconds before connected to the devices. The red light will flash once. After that you can connect the Bluemini with other devices without charging. Please pay attention to the remaining battery for the Bluemini.

But I don't see a similar instruction in the manual for the Bluemini II. When I hold the power button for 2 seconds, it turns the power off. (That's contrary to what the Bluemini II manual says on p.20: "Press power button for 5 seconds to turn it off.")

I only see 1 button on my Bluemini II -- the power button on the end of the unit. The middle has the USB-C port, and next to it on the other side is the LED light and the microphone. Can you explain what you mean by (the button nearest the middle of the device? I wonder if Bluemini II got rid of this button.

Aug 3, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #818 of 984
Thanks for the suggestion. I can't figure out how to turn off charging mode on the Bluemini II. I sent a note to Hifiman customer service about this question but I haven't heard back yet. I noticed in the product announcements that it said there was a way to disengage the charging circuit when plugged in by USB. The manual for the original (Bluemini I) has instructions on p20. that say to hold the charging button for 2 seconds before connecting the USB cable:

But I don't see a similar instruction in the manual for the Bluemini II. When I hold the power button for 2 seconds, it turns the power off. (That's contrary to what the Bluemini II manual says on p.20: "Press power button for 5 seconds to turn it off.")

I only see 1 button on my Bluemini II -- the power button on the end of the unit. The middle has the USB-C port, and next to it on the other side is the LED light and the microphone. Can you explain what you mean by (the button nearest the middle of the device? I wonder if Bluemini II got rid of this button.
Hmmm. You are right, there is no other button on the Bluemini II. Apparently I have V1, that does have that button. I also read the manual, and it doesn't mention anything about it, except to say that some USB audio won't work. I wonder why they took this feature out?! Do you have access to any other android devices that you can install UAPP on to test? That could be helpful not only to yourself, but to Hifiman when they reply back only to tell you it is UAPP.

Also, when you plug in, do you already have UAPP open? As I recall, I had to do some similar trick before I discovered the "charging" issue.

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #819 of 984
Yes, they removed that feature, unfortunately. Here's what Hifiman customer service said in response to my question:

Unfortunately it's not available in bluemin II.

I don't have another android device that will run UAPP. My old phone is a Pixel 4a but the app is not supported on that device. Davy from UAPP devs got in touch and has some ideas about connecting the Deva. I'll post what we figure out after he and I go through some testing.

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #820 of 984
Yes, they removed that feature, unfortunately. Here's what Hifiman customer service said in response to my question:

I don't have another android device that will run UAPP. My old phone is a Pixel 4a but the app is not supported on that device. Davy from UAPP devs got in touch and has some ideas about connecting the Deva. I'll post what we figure out after he and I go through some testing.
I do hope you get it figured out?!

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #821 of 984
i had the daunting task to find an open-back; over-ear; wireless pair of headphones for a friend. his budget wasnt very specific, but i guess its not over 600 unless i convince him its worth it.

after a few days of searching i was thinking about a BTR5 in combination with Philips X3, HD650 or something, order 2 or 3 cans and let him try.
but i stumbled on the Deva days into my search, and im happy i found these.

i thought i'd give my 2 cents for anyone considering these.

background info: i daily drive a Focal Elear on a BTR5K, with a small bump in the Bass region, i absolutely love these, but i hate the fact that they are closed back, before this i had the Philips Fidelio X1, these are the perfect representation of what FR i like, the X1 are really good for their price, but they lack a bit of detail that 500-1000 euro cans can provide.

[TLDR] i was searching for an open/back wireless pair of headphones, and i like the Focal Elear/ Philips X1 sound signature

the DEVA (icw Bluemini)
comfort: 4/5 im not too picky about comfort, theyre not the best, but i would be more than happy with these, they are light,
they have a bit of a pressure point below my ears, but i have this with a lot of cans,

Bass: 3/5 this was my biggest fear, that they would lack in bass, but they do not dissapoint at all, they arent X1's but its acceptable for me.

mid: 4/5 im not good at describing Mid's, but i think these are very forward, have good soundstage and are fairly wide.

highs: 3/5 i think these are a tad bit fatiguingat high volume, i noticed a bit of sibilance, which i absolutely do not like.

Bluemini: connection is good, easy to use, they go fairly loud, but the sound isnt very good at these volumes, at 70% (which is more than loud enough for me, the sound is more than adequate.

[TLDR] Bass is good, more than enough to be enjoyable, comfort is ok, highs are a bit fatiguing, bluemini is great although sounds a bit off when pushed to the limit.

do i recommend these? no, not really.

if you can live with wired headphones, or a combo of normal headphones with a BTR5, i would suggest you go that route.
do you absolutely need wireless open-back headphones, then the deva is a good pair of cans that outshine many other Bluetooth headphones (XM4, bose 700, ...)

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #822 of 984
i had the daunting task to find an open-back; over-ear; wireless pair of headphones for a friend. his budget wasnt very specific, but i guess its not over 600 unless i convince him its worth it.

after a few days of searching i was thinking about a BTR5 in combination with Philips X3, HD650 or something, order 2 or 3 cans and let him try.
but i stumbled on the Deva days into my search, and im happy i found these.

i thought i'd give my 2 cents for anyone considering these.

background info: i daily drive a Focal Elear on a BTR5K, with a small bump in the Bass region, i absolutely love these, but i hate the fact that they are closed back, before this i had the Philips Fidelio X1, these are the perfect representation of what FR i like, the X1 are really good for their price, but they lack a bit of detail that 500-1000 euro cans can provide.

[TLDR] i was searching for an open/back wireless pair of headphones, and i like the Focal Elear/ Philips X1 sound signature

the DEVA (icw Bluemini)
comfort: 4/5 im not too picky about comfort, theyre not the best, but i would be more than happy with these, they are light,
they have a bit of a pressure point below my ears, but i have this with a lot of cans,

Bass: 3/5 this was my biggest fear, that they would lack in bass, but they do not dissapoint at all, they arent X1's but its acceptable for me.

mid: 4/5 im not good at describing Mid's, but i think these are very forward, have good soundstage and are fairly wide.

highs: 3/5 i think these are a tad bit fatiguingat high volume, i noticed a bit of sibilance, which i absolutely do not like.

Bluemini: connection is good, easy to use, they go fairly loud, but the sound isnt very good at these volumes, at 70% (which is more than loud enough for me, the sound is more than adequate.

[TLDR] Bass is good, more than enough to be enjoyable, comfort is ok, highs are a bit fatiguing, bluemini is great although sounds a bit off when pushed to the limit.

do i recommend these? no, not really.

if you can live with wired headphones, or a combo of normal headphones with a BTR5, i would suggest you go that route.
do you absolutely need wireless open-back headphones, then the deva is a good pair of cans that outshine many other Bluetooth headphones (XM4, bose 700, ...)

I also have the Bluemini 2. I hook it up to my iPhone using a lightning to usb c OTG dongle designed for headphones and other output. This is the one I use.

MeloAudio iOS to USB C Adapter Type C (Female) to iOS (Male) Adapter USB C OTG Adapter Compatible iOS Devices Support Data Sync Headphone and Charging​

Bought it on Amazon for $9. You will also need a usb c to usb c data cable to connect with the bluemin. I settled on one with two right angle connectors so the cable doesn’t impale my shoulder and the other end is more compact. Watch that you don’t get one designed just to charge. You need the data connections. All usb cables are not equal. The good ones tend to be a bit stiff, though.

You plug everything in, then turn on the bluemini. It’s hard to tell if the music is being fed by Bluetooth or over the cable, which is a testament to how good the Bluetooth sounds on this, even defaulting to AAC. But if you want to check, try sending a message. When it is connected by cable, I discovered the hard way, the keyboard won’t show up on your device. The bluemini indicator light also lights up a steady red, with an occasional green flash, in this mode.

So why jump through all these hoops? Well, on an iPhone, you can get much better bit rate and even the first unfold of MQA master files on Tidal. Pretty amazing sound for a portable and a lot easier than toting my iFi hip DAC and camera connector. When I want the best sound, I use the hip DAC, which does a full MQA unfold, and a pair of Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Opens though a balanced HART cable. The Diva also sounds great on that rig with a balanced 4.4 to 3.5 TRRS connector. But i usually just use the Deva direct to the phone on the wired connection. Or wireless on Bluetooth, which gets way closer than should be expected. Walking the dog was never so pleasurable.

Hope this helps.

Bottom line, I recommend these phones for their sound quality and versatility. I got mine as an open box from Hifiman, further reducing the already reasonable price. They’re not end game, but they sure check off a number of boxes.

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #823 of 984
My Deva bluemini suddenly cannot be charged last month, fortunately, Hifiman where I live quickly send a replacement. Great customer service on their behalf

Aug 31, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #824 of 984
Edit

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #825 of 984
I realize I'm reviving an old post but I'm looking to try my Devas (which I LOVE) with a balanced input so I was searching for cable recommendations. The link below is to a cable that terminates with a mini-XLR plug. I'd like to avoid the interconnect solution, so I'm looking for a balanced cable with the DEVA 3.5 TRRS plug that terminates with a 2.5 or 4.4mm plug for my Fiio M11. Any suggestions? I saw the aliexpress (Earmax) cable linked earlier in the thread -- is that the only one available?
Hart cables makes a 4.4 to 3.5 balanced cable for the Deva's. Check them out.

https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/headphone-cables/products/hc-2-3-5mm-trrs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back