Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
May 5, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #61 of 984
I would definitely try that. While I ordered mine through Amazon, they were shipped directly from the Hifiman distributor in New York. The only reason it took as long as it did to receive mine was because they didn't ship from the distributor for 3 or 4 days. Once they did, UPS got them to me in a normal 3 days ground.

And to answer your question, Xkoo, I really like them. They are more immediate than our 650s, definitely on the lighter, analytical side of neutral. Not too much, just a bit. But, they are capable of revealing the emotion in both male and female vocals. Let me put in this way... I've spent a lot of time with them so far, mining through my music collection, and haven't remotely had the urge to set them aside for any of the other great headphones I have sitting here. They certainly sound different from any of the others, and I'm wondering now if I'm hearing a more honest presentation of the music than I'm accustomed ot hearing. Still, they are continuing to break in and evolve, and I suspect they will continue to for awhile. For $300, I think they are a screaming bargain. And with the versatility of all the ways you can listen to them, I could see them becoming the go-to headphone for many audiophiles on a budget.

May 6, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #62 of 984
I would definitely try that. While I ordered mine through Amazon, they were shipped directly from the Hifiman distributor in New York. The only reason it took as long as it did to receive mine was because they didn't ship from the distributor for 3 or 4 days. Once they did, UPS got them to me in a normal 3 days ground.

And to answer your question, Xkoo, I really like them. They are more immediate than our 650s, definitely on the lighter, analytical side of neutral. Not too much, just a bit. But, they are capable of revealing the emotion in both male and female vocals. Let me put in this way... I've spent a lot of time with them so far, mining through my music collection, and haven't remotely had the urge to set them aside for any of the other great headphones I have sitting here. They certainly sound different from any of the others, and I'm wondering now if I'm hearing a more honest presentation of the music than I'm accustomed ot hearing. Still, they are continuing to break in and evolve, and I suspect they will continue to for awhile. For $300, I think they are a screaming bargain. And with the versatility of all the ways you can listen to them, I could see them becoming the go-to headphone for many audiophiles on a budget.

So, good news! My Deva's will be here tomorrow. What do you suggest as far as burn-in audio goes? Pink noise, just play music through them etc..? Apparently they recommend 150hrs so I'm curious what would be the best way to go about it.

I've got this weekend off so I'll hopefully be able to give my impressions then.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

May 6, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #63 of 984

Thank you so much! I am waiting for my dealer to get it here.
So I am happy for any news, advice etc.
Deva looks very versatile Headphones so far!!!

May 6, 2020 at 6:24 AM Post #64 of 984
Honestly, I just played music to break them in. One of my CD players has a headphone jack on it. I would leave with a disc on repeat for a few hours at a time, if I weren't going to be using them. Since they are BT, it's really easy to just wear them around the house, too.

May 6, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #65 of 984
Honestly, I just played music to break them in. One of my CD players has a headphone jack on it. I would leave with a disc on repeat for a few hours at a time, if I weren't going to be using them. Since they are BT, it's really easy to just wear them around the house, too.

Cool yeah, i will most likely be helping break them in by listening to music but I was at a loss what to pump through them while at work etc. Thanks!

May 6, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #66 of 984
Well, I used a particular Stanley Clarke jazz cd at just a medium volume. Real musical insturments playing through virtually the entire range of sound. I will be very interested to hear what you think about them, please let me know! I'm listening right now, lol. I can believe the 150 hours. They had a dramatic change with the appearance of the bass, but mine are continuing to subtly change. That nasty peak is lessening more and more. They are becoming audio chameleons, sometimes colder and analytical, and depending on the material, sometimes neutral to slightly warm. The Bluemini is really well-suited for them, clearly designed just for the Deva's needs. It's been hard to fault the BT, and using the supplied USB C cable and the built-in DAC, the sound is even cleaner. I'm getting such great sound from streamed music right now, I am inclined to think that their sweet spot might be with a Schiit desktop stack like yours. Depending on your results, I may have to make some more expenditures. My only issue is that I never use my desktop, only my Surface. That is where the BT or the USB cable comes in so handy! It's overkill and entirely too many wires, but they do sound awesome through my portable Nuforce uDAC, BTW. You have to play with it, right? But, the sound is good enough through the Bluemini DAC that I don't feel the need to carry the Nuforce with me anymore. It really is shocking what $300 can get you now!

May 6, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #67 of 984
I have had the Deva’s for going on a couple weeks now. I am still very happy with these headphones. They are defiantly breaking in as previously mentioned. The base and upper treble seems to be changing the most all for the better. Treble is settling down and base is becoming more defIned. I already stated in my previous review how much resolution and detail this headphone has. As these break in they seem to maintain the resolution/detail while bring things more together musically. The blending of bass, mid and treble is become more fluid that at first. There is still clear seperation in theses three areas but the transition is now much smoother.

I still say this headphone is awesome and has done nothing but get better.

I just ordered the Ifi Zen DAC and am excited to see how this amp matches up to the Deva’s. Most reviews on the IFI say it is warm and fun. The Deva’s are fairly dynamic as is and the Zen DAC may move it toward a “Tube” sound with detail and resolution which I dig. I am also ordering a cable from Hart Audio Cable. They have a balanced 3.5 mm cable and a universal connection kit to fit any source connection type. I highly recommend checking this company out. Anyway I will be able to use the Zen’s Balanced 4.4 mm out which should also in theory improve the sound.

Stay Tuned.

May 6, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #68 of 984
It's not surprising, but it's comforting to hear that someone else is experiencing the same break-in phenomena. There are those review sites that believe burn-in is psychosomatic, and I have a hard time giving any creedence to their reviews. IMO, they should stop measuring, start listening, and realize that our ears and brains are smarter and more perceptive than a computer with a mic. That's a whole other controversial thread, lol. Sorry. For those of you yet to get these headphones, please know that the break-in is real, and the Devas are pretty disjointed and difficult to listen to at first. I will be very interested to know if new cabling has a significant impact. I am seriously considering getting an Audioquest Carbon USB C cable for them. I'm not for sure what voodoo is in the Carbon series, but the HDMI and USB cables I already have are noticably better than others. They are very stiff cables, but their data transmission is unbelievable. Well, as far as the Devas go, give them some time before you judge them!

May 6, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #69 of 984
They're heeerrrreee..

Real leather! Who knew? 😁👍 20200506_213944.jpg20200506_215342.jpg20200506_215357.jpg

May 6, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #70 of 984
I've got a dumb question though -

The included cable is a 3-pole to a 2-pole 3.5mm. Which side goes IN the cans?

May 7, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #72 of 984
Nice picture!

I wondered do you feel a little heavy when you are wearing this headphone?

I haven't even had the chance to put them on yet, just unpack the box. Had to go into work unfortunately.

May 7, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #74 of 984
Look forward to your experiencing!

I have to say though, removing them from the box, they are very light in the hand. Like, very. I was very surprised by that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back