Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
May 4, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #46 of 984
I pulled the trigger on a set last Thursday. Should be here this week hopefully. The excitement is real. 🤓
soon as it arrives let us know everything

May 4, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #48 of 984
I don't think you will regret pulling the trigger, although I must caution you. Don't think you can plug these into anything that has a 3.5mm hole and get great sound. These are very current hungry... they will play loud enough from my phone or Surface tablet, but the sound is thin and peaky. Given ample higher current power, the sound is WAY better. It is really a testament to its bluetooth module. because the sound quality through bluetooth will sometimes make you wonder why you ever used a wired headphone.

Also, you will have to be patient and let these break in. I have about 40-50 hours on mine so far, and the sound is still evolving. At first, there is a really nasty mid-treble peak, and the bass sounds weak and distant, like the kid's bass in the car 5 car's back in traffic. This makes the entire sound extremely mids forward. I've heard my headphones break in before, but this one is dramatic. Somewhere between 25-30 hours in, the bass just appeared. And, it's great bass, IMO. Not overpowering, but very tonal and appropriate in level to whatever music you're listening to. The mid-treble peak has also greatly lessened, although some extra sibilance can sometimes creep into vocals.

Last caution... feed them good music. These are not a do-no-harm type headphone. If you play poorly recorded or heavily compressed music, they will likely show you just how bad it can be. However, like most great headphones, they can also highlight music that is wonderfully recorded. The reward is as great as the risk with these.

So, how do they sound? Well, I'm not going to make definitive comments, because I do feel like they are still breaking in. However, I'm very impressed so far. The sound is incredibly detailed, and I've heard some previously unheard details in familiar songs, through bluetooth! They sound even better plugged into my Asgard 2 amp. About that power thing... I leave the amp on the same settings for these as I would for my old HD650s. They love good, high current power. Having said that, I'm listening to them via bluetooth as I write, and I'm perfectly content. The Devas are not just great for a bluetooth headphone, they are just great. Please let me get some more time on my pair, and I will gladly detail their sound.

May 4, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #49 of 984
I don't think you will regret pulling the trigger, although I must caution you. Don't think you can plug these into anything that has a 3.5mm hole and get great sound. These are very current hungry... they will play loud enough from my phone or Surface tablet, but the sound is thin and peaky. Given ample higher current power, the sound is WAY better. It is really a testament to its bluetooth module. because the sound quality through bluetooth will sometimes make you wonder why you ever used a wired headphone.

Also, you will have to be patient and let these break in. I have about 40-50 hours on mine so far, and the sound is still evolving. At first, there is a really nasty mid-treble peak, and the bass sounds weak and distant, like the kid's bass in the car 5 car's back in traffic. This makes the entire sound extremely mids forward. I've heard my headphones break in before, but this one is dramatic. Somewhere between 25-30 hours in, the bass just appeared. And, it's great bass, IMO. Not overpowering, but very tonal and appropriate in level to whatever music you're listening to. The mid-treble peak has also greatly lessened, although some extra sibilance can sometimes creep into vocals.

Last caution... feed them good music. These are not a do-no-harm type headphone. If you play poorly recorded or heavily compressed music, they will likely show you just how bad it can be. However, like most great headphones, they can also highlight music that is wonderfully recorded. The reward is as great as the risk with these.

So, how do they sound? Well, I'm not going to make definitive comments, because I do feel like they are still breaking in. However, I'm very impressed so far. The sound is incredibly detailed, and I've heard some previously unheard details in familiar songs, through bluetooth! They sound even better plugged into my Asgard 2 amp. About that power thing... I leave the amp on the same settings for these as I would for my old HD650s. They love good, high current power. Having said that, I'm listening to them via bluetooth as I write, and I'm perfectly content. The Devas are not just great for a bluetooth headphone, they are just great. Please let me get some more time on my pair, and I will gladly detail their sound.

Thanks for the heads up! As far as regular use, i actually planned on using them with my Schiit stack more than anything. I didn't really aim to use them much via bluetooth. That said, I'm really excited to explore the BT capability and might just use them around the house while cleaning etc if the range is good but yeah, the focus and intent for me was really to explore this new driver and see what all it can do with good power fed to them. I will definitely burn them in before judging however, i suspect from all that i've read thus far, that they're my type of sound right out of the box. I will certainly update here after some time with them. This will be my first Hifiman set so I'm very excited to say the least.

May 4, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #50 of 984
Thanks for the heads up! As far as regular use, i actually planned on using them with my Schiit stack more than anything. I didn't really aim to use them much via bluetooth. That said, I'm really excited to explore the BT capability and might just use them around the house while cleaning etc if the range is good but yeah, the focus and intent for me was really to explore this new driver and see what all it can do with good power fed to them. I will definitely burn them in before judging however, i suspect from all that i've read thus far, that they're my type of sound right out of the box. I will certainly update here after some time with them. This will be my first Hifiman set so I'm very excited to say the least.
Even though I have heard about every type of headphone ever conceived, these are actually my first planars and first Hifiman, too. So far, so good. I have used these every way possible already, and I do have to say I prefer them playing through my big rig. I don't know that they will cast out my 650s on an everyday basis, but the bluetooth is so far above any of my other BT headphones, I will likely use around the house. If the sound keeps getting better as it has been though, who knows? The old 650s might find themselves moving down to 2nd on the headphone rack, lol.

May 4, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #51 of 984
Even though I have heard about every type of headphone ever conceived, these are actually my first planars and first Hifiman, too. So far, so good. I have used these every way possible already, and I do have to say I prefer them playing through my big rig. I don't know that they will cast out my 650s on an everyday basis, but the bluetooth is so far above any of my other BT headphones, I will likely use around the house. If the sound keeps getting better as it has been though, who knows? The old 650s might find themselves moving down to 2nd on the headphone rack, lol.

Yeah my current go-to cans are my HD600's so I can relate. I had the 6XX but I'm more a fan of detailed treble and cans on the brighter side of things specifically for female vocals. I almost always listen to well-recorded music so I'm anxious to see how the Deva performs. My current detail can is the Fostex T60RP and the sound of it just blows me away. I'm stoked though. I wish they'd hurry up already haha

May 4, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #52 of 984
I think you will enjoy them, then. I err on the side of warmth, hence the 650s. These are definitely more clinical, but they are warming up as they break in. Still clinical, but acceptably so for me. If the last bit of extra sibilance and occasional splashiness will go away, they will be perfectly balanced. Female vocals do sound great, and the separation between main singer and backgrounds is awesome. I look forward to hearing what you think about them, if they ever come, lol. Don't worry, it took me excruciatingly long to receive mine, too.

May 4, 2020 at 10:51 PM Post #53 of 984
I think you will enjoy them, then. I err on the side of warmth, hence the 650s. These are definitely more clinical, but they are warming up as they break in. Still clinical, but acceptably so for me. If the last bit of extra sibilance and occasional splashiness will go away, they will be perfectly balanced. Female vocals do sound great, and the separation between main singer and backgrounds is awesome. I look forward to hearing what you think about them, if they ever come, lol. Don't worry, it took me excruciatingly long to receive mine, too.

Did you order from Hifiman's webstore by chance?

May 4, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #55 of 984
Are you wondering how like it might take to get them?

Well, kinda. I'm having some issues with the folks over at the hifiman store at the moment. I was just curious if anybody else ordered from them and what their experience was like, more or less.

May 4, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #56 of 984
Well, kinda. I'm having some issues with the folks over at the hifiman store at the moment. I was just curious if anybody else ordered from them and what their experience was like, more or less.
I ordered mine from the HiFiMAN store on 2020-03-31 and they were delivered 2020-04-04 to my mailbox, and it was seamless, thankfully.

May 5, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #57 of 984
I ordered mine from the HiFiMAN store on 2020-03-31 and they were delivered 2020-04-04 to my mailbox, and it was seamless, thankfully.

Awesome. Glad you had a great experience with them I'm hoping by tomorrow I'll know more about what's going on with my order but as of right now, there's a hiccup with the shipping. 😶

May 5, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #59 of 984
I ordered mine through Amazon. I got mine about a week and a half after ordering.
so tell us more how is it; do you like it

May 5, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #60 of 984
I ordered mine through Amazon. I got mine about a week and a half after ordering.

I just realized that Amazon had them yesterday. If it turns out that Hifiman didn't ship my set yet, I'm going to order one from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back