Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Jun 30, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #766 of 984
I contacted Hi-Fi man customer service and came to know the bluemini is available separately for sale. The price of bluemini is little more (around 25% extra) than the standard price. This may also be due to the custom duty charges, tax etc. since I am buying it from India. At the same price (or even less), I can get usb dacs like Fiio e10k, Shanling UP4/UA2/UA1, IBasso DC4, (or slightly high) Audioquest Dragon fly black, earmen donald dac. However, I do not know if all these USB dacs will produce any significant difference in sound quality of Deva, HE400, HD650 that will impress me. Unfortunately, I will not be able to afford any costly amp for now and I need to postpone that idea until I get a chance to travel to US. I have heard the costlier amps do significantly improve the quality of sound these cans produce. However, the dacs I mentioned I am not sure about them. If any of you have any thoughts, please share.

If answer to my above question is no, then I would simply go for bluemini, which I heard will significantly change the way Deva sounds and be satisfied with it and enjoy the Deva (alone) completely for days to come. Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #767 of 984
I contacted Hi-Fi man customer service and came to know the bluemini is available separately for sale. The price of bluemini is little more (around 25% extra) than the standard price. This may also be due to the custom duty charges, tax etc. since I am buying it from India. At the same price (or even less), I can get usb dacs like Fiio e10k, Shanling UP4/UA2/UA1, IBasso DC4, (or slightly high) Audioquest Dragon fly black, earmen donald dac. However, I do not know if all these USB dacs will produce any significant difference in sound quality of Deva, HE400, HD650 that will impress me. Unfortunately, I will not be able to afford any costly amp for now and I need to postpone that idea until I get a chance to travel to US. I have heard the costlier amps do significantly improve the quality of sound these cans produce. However, the dacs I mentioned I am not sure about them. If any of you have any thoughts, please share.

If answer to my above question is no, then I would simply go for bluemini, which I heard will significantly change the way Deva sounds and be satisfied with it and enjoy the Deva (alone) completely for days to come. Please share your thoughts and suggestions.
I'm excited that you can now purchase this separate from the headphones!

It all depends on what exactly you are looking for, and how much you are willing to pay to get that?! If you are wanting to drive all three of the headphones you mentioned, then the Bluemini is probably not the answer, because I don't think it will fit 2 of the 3 without some funky cabling. I am also unsure of how well those DACs can push those headphones (fully). The HD650 is 300ohms and is difficult to push well, and the 2 planars, on paper look like they should be fine, but in reality the are hard to drive. Not because of power, but they really need something that can supply more amperage. The best solution is still a good amp, or a good DAP that has enough pushing power (but then you are talking mid-tier or better pricing).

If you are just asking about the Deva, it is my opinion that the Bluemini is your best option. Not to say the other DACs aren't good, but the Bluemini was taylor made for the Deva. The amp, and DSP were created to push the Deva (and it does very well IMO). Is there better sound from a cable on the Deva? Of course because BT is still a limiting factor, but I would argue that you will not hear much of a difference between the Bluemini and using it cabled, unless you have some pretty good gear pushing them.

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #768 of 984

What price did they give you?

I'd say there are several other small amps that would probably work. I'm currently using the Qudelix 5k with a short balanced cable, and it sounds amazing. It also sounds good unbalanced from my xDuoo xp-2. What is your price range?

Jun 30, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #769 of 984
I mentioned months ago that the Devas really benefited from a high current amp, not necessarily a high wattage. When I use mine wired to a Schiit Asgard, you can hear the difference that high current capability makes. Having said that, I have been shocked at how good the Bluemini is comparatively. It is good enough that I seldom use them wired anymore. I earnestly don't miss the big boy amp much. For the price of the Bluemini, the performance is incredible and an amazing value. I have also used it as a DAC with my computer, and it works wonderfully. Personally, I wouldn't think of buying an amp for the Devas beyond the Bluemini.

Jun 30, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #770 of 984
@Achilles2205
The Deva definitely benefit from a good desktop amplifier but for wireless versatility or some wired listening from the PC the BlueMini is unbeatable.

Of course it is not suited for other headphones like the HD650.

If you need portable and wireless dongle to fit all your headphones the FiiO BTR5 is an excellent solution.

But you need to invest into balanced cables for all your headphones.

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #771 of 984
What price did they give you?

I'd say there are several other small amps that would probably work. I'm currently using the Qudelix 5k with a short balanced cable, and it sounds amazing. It also sounds good unbalanced from my xDuoo xp-2. What is your price range?
They are giving bluemini for approx $105. Like I said earlier, this would include the taxes as well.
Around $100 would be my price range for now. I generally listen to music when I am only at home, so I don't need an amp which is like on the go.

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #772 of 984
I mentioned months ago that the Devas really benefited from a high current amp, not necessarily a high wattage. When I use mine wired to a Schiit Asgard, you can hear the difference that high current capability makes. Having said that, I have been shocked at how good the Bluemini is comparatively. It is good enough that I seldom use them wired anymore. I earnestly don't miss the big boy amp much. For the price of the Bluemini, the performance is incredible and an amazing value. I have also used it as a DAC with my computer, and it works wonderfully. Personally, I wouldn't think of buying an amp for the Devas beyond the Bluemini.
Hey Birdland, when you said you have also used Bluemini as a DAC with your computer, I believe you meant the Bluemini is connected to computer via USB. Does Bluemini have an analog port to connect the headphone's stereo jack? I am wondering if it is possible to use Bluemini as a DAC for any headphone, not just Deva. How good is the sound quality of Bluemini as a DAC?

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #776 of 984
Bluemini is both the DAC and the amp. The only knock is that sometimes it doesn't charge as it does this, so the battery life shortens.
Got it. You use the USB to charge the bluemini as you use it with Deva. If this is correct, I believe the purpose of bluetooth gets defeated here right? Anyways, its evident that bluemini cannot be used with any other headphones (even without bluetooth, just as an amp and dac).

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #779 of 984
Right? I have a number of good amps, and I've been impressed from the beginning with it. It just sounds great. And the convenience is awesome. If memory serves, the new closed backs are upwards of $5k.... And I bet they just became the best Bluetooth headphones on the planet.

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #780 of 984
Right? I have a number of good amps, and I've been impressed from the beginning with it. It just sounds great. And the convenience is awesome. If memory serves, the new closed backs are upwards of $5k.... And I bet they just became the best Bluetooth headphones on the planet.
I hadn't heard about a new BT model from them. AFAIK the Ananda BT was first (BT only), then they used the tech in it for the Bluemini for the Deva. Now you say they have a new $5k model? Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back