Hifiman DEVA - Official Thread
Jun 6, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #736 of 984
Yeah, I really like it and getting it away from my shoulder feels nice. I might sell my battery upgraded bluemini at some point when I'm 100% sure, but I'm pretty much 5k now especially with the PEQ and LDAC range. Battery life is atrocious though - I just did 2 hours from 100% down to 52%. I have multipoint on so I can take calls (audio/ldac off on phone) with the 5k and connect to BTA 30 for everything else, i wonder how much of a battery drain that is. I'll have to run some tests. I'm also in 'performance mode' for quality, but not 4v, standard 2v balanced. I'll see what I can get out of unbalanced too.

Jun 6, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #737 of 984
Yeah, I really like it and getting it away from my shoulder feels nice. I might sell my battery upgraded bluemini at some point when I'm 100% sure, but I'm pretty much 5k now especially with the PEQ and LDAC range. Battery life is atrocious though - I just did 2 hours from 100% down to 55%. I have multipoint on so I can take calls (audio/ldac off on phone) with the 5k and connect to BTA 30 for everything else, i wonder how much of a battery drain that is. I'll have to run some tests. I'm also in 'performance mode' for quality, but not 4v, standard 2v balanced. I'll also try unbalanced, when i get my mini power bank well see how it all comes together

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #738 of 984
I agree Birdland! These hit a sweet spot in open buttery fun/intimacy. I've been listening to them just before bed with my eyes closed and everything so far sounds just right for a private concert in my head. These are my current end to wireless freedom around the house listening during my work day and they've been just beautiful.

I think the problem with the bluemini is its a single output, whereas most headphones have a jack on both sides so they don't run a wire up the headband - which in previous comments, is a point of weakness that the community has expectations of at least since the wire is on a pivot and is very thin. I'd rather have two beefier jacks in the earcup that could realistically be repaired easier. Sorry, I don't communicate well...

I ended up buying the Qudelix 5k even though its got a really short battery life on balanced. The range on them for ldac is so much better than the bluemini, which is a bummer, since I just upgraded the battery life on the bluemini. Having PEQ on all my sources is pretty sweet too, the only issue I've had with the Deva profile is sibilance. I also feel like the 5k can drive them more powerfully than the mini. More punch and just doesn't sound like they are pushed to the max whereas at my choice for volume (relatively high) the mini just starts to sound like its slightly over its comfort limit.

Anyway I'm glad to hear from another satisfied buyer of these!
I'm glad to see that you bought the 5k as well. I didn't bother to measure the output since you completed the battery mod and I knew there was no way the 5k would come close. I agree the range is much much better with the 5k. Adding a battery pack to the 5k should be a snap.

Crinacle's and oratory1190's peq settings are different with considerably less sibilance from the latter. OTOH, with so much difference between the settings it's a surprise that they sound so close.

I have pretty much grounded my Deva's with an Atom Amp and an SMSL M300 MK II. The sound quality is so good they stay on the hook. The Deva's are scaling well, it keeps getting better and better. The amp is the weakest link and is the next thing to be replaced but it's more than sufficient for now.

Jun 7, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #739 of 984
My wife has a similar take on the Deva. She has always claimed that she doesn't care that much about sound quality. The last pair I bought her was the Bose QC25, and she has been mostly happy with them (though I personally think they sound like crap hehe). A few weeks ago, I put them on her head playing her type of music, and while she didn't say that they sounded fantastic or bad, she did not want to give them back to me for a while. And, since then she has teased me about stealing them from me. Testament enough for me!

While I DO love that Hifiman created the Bluemini to be detachable, they didn't create the idea as some reviewers would have you believe. In fact Bose tried it about 9 years ago with their AE2W BT headphones. The dongle is fully removeable and a wire can be inserted for wired listening. Back then it was not lauded so much a revolutionary idea, but gaudy looking. I have never been a huge fan of Bose products, but have to say these sounded very good (I still own them). Obviously they don't come close to the sound that Hifman has been able to squeeze out of their planar headphones. Anyhow, I just thought I would share.
Absolutely. Testament enough for the Devas indeed!

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #740 of 984
Anyone tried the DEVA with Apple Music’s Hi-Res Lossless?

Strange that the iphone shows it is streaming to the Deva with 24-bit 192khz…using AAC of course since no LDAC with ios…

CD9DA76E-F483-446E-81F3-2320D70C5D3A.png

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #741 of 984
It is being streamed at that, but because of the limitations of the codec, it is being compressed on the fly. What would be interesting would be to see what quality you are receiving on the Deva side. It would probably look something like; 24/96 320, 660, or 990.

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #742 of 984
It is being streamed at that, but because of the limitations of the codec, it is being compressed on the fly. What would be interesting would be to see what quality you are receiving on the Deva side. It would probably look something like; 24/96 320, 660, or 990.

Unfortunately there is no way for us to know what Deva is receiving…

Found this on apple website. Did they enhance their AAC BT Codec?

59DFC9CC-9E41-4E88-9825-FDAA162A359C.jpeg

When Im connecting my Sabbat X12 Ultra, I can only stream 24-bit / 48khz…since that is the TWS capability

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #743 of 984
Unfortunately there is no way for us to know what Deva is receiving…

Found this on apple website. Did they enhance their AAC BT Codec?

59DFC9CC-9E41-4E88-9825-FDAA162A359C.jpeg

When Im connecting my Sabbat X12 Ultra, I can only stream 24-bit / 48khz…since that is the TWS capability
Not that I'm aware of, but this statement can't be called a total lie because Apple's claim is that you can't hear the difference between AAC and mp3 @320. And, there are a LOT of people that would argue that a human can't hear the difference between mp3 @320 and cd quality, and so on up the chain. That is for AAC, but as to Apple Digital, that is ALAC which is like FLAC which is lossless but compressed. These are indeed normally indistinguishable from at least CD quality (from masters it is arguable, and has been debated for a long time).

If you are connecting those Sabbats to the iPhone you are not getting 24/48, because SBC is not capable of that. Being on the iPhone, since it doesn't have AptX(HD) or AAC, it will fall back to SBC. This might be what it shows, but that is just what the song is playing at, not what you are actually hearing at your earbuds.

It is not so much the bit depth or the sample rate that concerns people with BT, because even the lowliest SBC is capable of 16/44 (CD quality). It is more the bitrate that denotes the amount of compression used. AAC actually has the lowest bitrate 250(even lower than SBC 328), but the algorithm they use is really good on an iPhone, compared to the SBC codec which has not been optimized (until recently) for a very long time. It is like the difference between listening to a 320 mp3 from a long time ago compared to one from nowadays. There is an audible difference in the sonic quality.

Jun 22, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #746 of 984
Hi there :)

I just posted my review of the wired Deva - enjoy :)

https://ear-fidelity.com/2021/02/21/hifiman-deva-wired/

Good review! I bought wired Deva few weeks ago. The wire as you said in the review is not up to the mark. I own HE-400, which has better connectors (made in Japan). I am waiting for the break in time to get the real feel of Deva. The one thing I regret is I should have bought Deva with Bluemini. Someone was asking if it can be bought separately. Not sure if they got a chance to check with hifiman. If not possible, I will need to get a good amp like magni or atom to drive these cans.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #747 of 984
I ended up getting a balanced cable from Hart Audio, and it is pretty fantastic. I am not huge on chunky desktop gear, so I have been using the iBasso DX160 for all things planar. But then I ran into the DX300, and these cans REALLLY shine (IMO) from this DAP.

The Bluemini is an amazing device, and so far, reading this whole thread, I have not seen where anyone has been able to purchase a separate one, but it couldn't hurt to ask again. Who knows, if there are enough requests they may make it available for purchase (by popular demand). Gratz on your new Deva's!

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #748 of 984
I ended up getting a balanced cable from Hart Audio, and it is pretty fantastic. I am not huge on chunky desktop gear, so I have been using the iBasso DX160 for all things planar. But then I ran into the DX300, and these cans REALLLY shine (IMO) from this DAP.

The Bluemini is an amazing device, and so far, reading this whole thread, I have not seen where anyone has been able to purchase a separate one, but it couldn't hurt to ask again. Who knows, if there are enough requests they may make it available for purchase (by popular demand). Gratz on your new Deva's!
+1 on the Hart cable. I have several, and a pair of open box Devas that should be here Friday. If I like them, I'll be in touch with Hart soon for a new cable. Their stuff is amazing.

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #749 of 984
I believe it was actually someone on this thread that recommended the Hart cable, and I am very satisfied with the sound, but more importantly the quality of the cable itself (and the connectors). The mini XLR is just large enough that I wouldn't venture to use this cable for IEMs though. Instead I actually like the Dunu micro XLR system like THIS one that came with my DK2001. It probably the cheapest cable they have, but IMO it is the best stock cable I have owned. Anyhow, I really love the modular system from both of these makers.

If you have enough power to drive them, I have a feeling you will definitely like them (IMO). Is the Open-box just the headphones, or does it come with the Bluemini also?

Jun 22, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #750 of 984
I believe it was actually someone on this thread that recommended the Hart cable, and I am very satisfied with the sound, but more importantly the quality of the cable itself (and the connectors). The mini XLR is just large enough that I wouldn't venture to use this cable for IEMs though. Instead I actually like the Dunu micro XLR system like THIS one that came with my DK2001. It probably the cheapest cable they have, but IMO it is the best stock cable I have owned. Anyhow, I really love the modular system from both of these makers.

If you have enough power to drive them, I have a feeling you will definitely like them (IMO). Is the Open-box just the headphones, or does it come with the Bluemini also?
I also asked Hart about that, and while they can make IEM cables with all the connectors depending on what you need for different charges, they don't have memory wire /hooks. I don't have a lot of things that I can easily wear ear down. The modular systems really are great and I'll consider another one for my IEMs.

It's only the headphones. I plan on pairing it primarily with the 5k, so I was OK passing on the Bluemini. I have other gear to try, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back