HifiMan Arya Stealth - right side jack damaged
Nov 24, 2023 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ScottieB

500+ Head-Fier
Hello. Today I put my Arya's down to go get some water, and when I put them back on my head, the right channel was no longer playing. After some trial and error I discovered that the cable is fine, the driver is fine, the amp and dac are fine, but the jack seems to be damaged. If I only plug the cable in part way, I get sound - but as soon as it 'clicks' all the way, the sound goes out.
I assume (and hope) this something to do with the soldering of the jack - or if not the jack itself can be replaced - because I am out of warranty and will need to attempt this myself. I can solder, so I'm good there, but I have never taken a planar headphone apart before; I've never even changed the pads on these Aryas. If anyone out there has any experience with the Aryas in this way or knows of any threads/videos anywhere I'd appreciate any info or links. I've done some searching but most of what I've found is about dead drivers - my driver works - but only when the cable is partially in.
Thanks.

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 3
Have you tried deoxit or similar on the jack?

Nov 24, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 3
I've had several apart like the Ananda and XS. The pads have nine clips and just press a fingernail in the seam to free them. After 2-3 release they just fall out. The clips get damaged easily when putting them down and the spring gets worn. When the pads are off, there's screws holding the bracket on, and it comes apart fairly easy to reveal the receiver where the cable plugs in.
I'd check it closely to see if a spring on the clip just needs pushing back down, or if something snapped off. The special wires are extremely fragile and there so much plastic around the clip I'd use a low power solder gun so you don't melt everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back