HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #10,756 of 11,920
Thank. Watched the above Arya vid. and on the headphones homepage it's called the V2 Stealth which is what I guess you call the V3 Stealth? It gets confusing easily. :)

https://headphones.com/products/hifiman-he1000-v2-headphones?_pos=1&_psq=he1000&_ss=e&_v=1.0

As long as it says Stealth Magnets it's the latest revision HEK yes?
HE1000 V1 and V2

HE1000 V3 Stealth (bridge to between, with Stealth magnets bringing more focus to the stage)

HE1000se (using the Susvara tech, magnet array differs from the other HE1000 sets, fastest presentation, and deep and holographic presentation)

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #10,758 of 11,920
it seems anything new from Hifiman with Stealth Magnets are going to be brighter on the top end...
It's quite amp dependent, you need some good current, and believe it or not you need to exercise that diaphragm so that they get to their intended sound. They all have a bright/harsh sound new out of the box.

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #10,759 of 11,920
OK, so looking at the HFM store they have:

V2 non-stealth. 90dB sensitivity (refurbished):

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he1000-v2-refurbished-3-5mm.html

HEK Stealth. 93dB refurbished:

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he1000-stealth-refurbished.html

1000 SE (also Stealth?). 96dB refurbished.

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he1000se-refurbished.html

So the most expensive 1000SE which originally cost 3.500$ vs. 3K for the 2 others also sport stealth magnets (from the description)?

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #10,760 of 11,920
OK, so looking at the HFM store they have:

V2 non-stealth. 90dB sensitivity (refurbished):

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he1000-v2-refurbished-3-5mm.html

HEK Stealth. 93dB refurbished:

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he1000-stealth-refurbished.html

1000 SE (also Stealth?). 96dB refurbished.

https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he1000se-refurbished.html

So the most expensive 1000SE which originally cost 3.500$ vs. 3K for the 2 others also sport stealth magnets (from the description)?
The HE1000se has the susvara magnet tech, the HE1000 V2 (like the Arya V2) has a different magnet array than the HE1000 V2 Stealth (has Arya Stealth/Organic type array).

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #10,761 of 11,920
Continuing the HEK discussion (sorry I know it's the Arya thread) I found this nice video review comparison of HE1000SE and HE1000 V2 Stealth (and also the Arya Stealth and Susvara). Those of you who have heard some or all of these - do you generally agree with the findings in this video?

Aug 28, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #10,762 of 11,920
I gotta ask, has anyone else's pair come with free Orbees? :)

I received my pair back from RMA and as soon as i picked up the box i heard stuff rattling inside, and immediately after opening the box I saw there were these tiny plastic beads spilled inside all over the packaging... lots of them just loosely rattling around in there. Then I took a look at the headphones just now and noticed they're actually inside the pad too. Great stuff.

My first thought was that the moisture protection packet had broken/spilled, but no, it was still intact.

IMG_0787eaf.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

Hifiman ghetto asf.

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #10,764 of 11,920
Continuing the HEK discussion (sorry I know it's the Arya thread) I found this nice video review comparison of HE1000SE and HE1000 V2 Stealth (and also the Arya Stealth and Susvara). Those of you who have heard some or all of these - do you generally agree with the findings in this video?

I have the Arya Stealth and HEKSE right now. Anything you wanna know ?

It's a bit hard for me to compare since i'm so used to aftermarket pads and EQ's. I only have 1 set of fresh stock pads. I have to rotate stock earpads between headphones to give them a fair shake.

So far my impression is that HEKSE trumps Arya Stealth in terms of technicalities.

The most obvious difference between Arya Stealth and HEKSE is stage, imaging, separation, detail, texture. Arya have a closed in sound right in front of your eyes and it isn't wide. HEKSE is slightly more distant, also deep and wide.

Arya Stealth sounds crowded. Every element of the music fights for the limited space and my attention. Things can mask each other. Switching to HEKSE, everything is laid in front of me separated, apart from each other. Spacious and defined. Things are more blunt on Arya Stealth, more nuanced on HEKSE.

This guy nails what i mean in terms of soundstage. I haven't heard HEK Stealth unfortunately so my comparison is to Arya Stealth. Timestamp:

Aug 28, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #10,765 of 11,920
@yeboyi In regard to your soundstage or congestion assessment, I would note that the HE1000se is more sensitive than the Arya Stealth such that when plugging in their input sensitivities and impedances into https://headphones.com/pages/headphones-power-calculator, the HE1000se would require less power to attain the same loudness level. For the same input signal out of the same amp, assuming both headphones are being driven with singled-ended or balanced cables for a fair comparison (the latter would sound louder), the HE1000se would be playing around 1.5 dB louder. If you did play around with the volume knob while A/Bing, and the Arya Stealth remained small and crowded even when played louder than the HE1000se, then I may remain interested in experiencing that model someday. To confirm, both headphones have a similar amount of space around the ears within the cups, right? Is the fit of the pad fairly similar for both?

Otherwise, as far as I've found, perceived "soundstage" tends to increase with loudness. Now, comparing https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/hifiman-arya-stealth/ and https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/hifiman-he1000se/, the latter does seem to have a slightly deeper 2 kHz dip which could contribute to a slightly greater sense of distance. The remaining differences in the treble can of course have varying subjective effects, especially the positioning of certain peaks specific to your ears. I would recommend playing with PEQ peaking filters of a Q factor of 2 centered around 1.7 kHz and 6.4 kHz and comparing the subjective result of increasing or decreasing either, or if you are patient, using those frequency responses to produce variable-band graphic EQs that would theoretically transform one into the other.

As for imaging, after volume matching the playback between the headphones, how does the imaging of the pencil at the start of differ between the headphones?

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #10,766 of 11,920
I gotta ask, has anyone else's pair come with free Orbees? :)

I received my pair back from RMA and as soon as i picked up the box i heard stuff rattling inside, and immediately after opening the box I saw there were these tiny plastic beads spilled inside all over the packaging... lots of them just loosely rattling around in there. Then I took a look at the headphones just now and noticed they're actually inside the pad too. Great stuff.

My first thought was that the moisture protection packet had broken/spilled, but no, it was still intact.

IMG_0787eaf.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

Hifiman ghetto asf.
Moisture pack broke. Maybe a second one or slipped out the main. Just leftovers. Shake them out. No harm no foul. They are just silica IIRC

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #10,767 of 11,920
Among some recommendations for the midrange drop that Mr. Haelsheir recommended, or the treble that they recommended in headphones, although I made some adjustments here and there following the HP measurements, it's quite good even experimenting and adjusting EQ in the Arya Organic.

This points towards harman so you know, it inevitably goes in the opposite direction of hifiman.

imageAryaOrganic EQ Harman WIP.png

Preamp -6

If you have any recommendations I'm headpads.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #10,768 of 11,920
Among some recommendations for the midrange drop that Mr. Haelsheir recommended, or the treble that they recommended in headphones, although I made some adjustments here and there following the HP measurements, it's quite good even experimenting and adjusting EQ in the Arya Organic.

This points towards harman so you know, it inevitably goes in the opposite direction of hifiman.

imageAryaOrganic EQ Harman WIP.png

Preamp -6

If you have any recommendations I'm headpads.
Any tuning over 6k is pretty useless, especially at such a high Q. I would highly recommend using a shelf instead of a peak.

Aug 28, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #10,769 of 11,920
Any tuning over 6k is pretty useless, especially at such a high Q. I would highly recommend using a shelf instead of a peak.
I beg to differ when you "EQ by ear" using sine sweeps and pink noise. There are "amazing" gains to be had from smoothing out peaks you may have had no idea were "dirtying" your music's sound. Simply exquisite clarity if not some extra "spaciousness". I document this process here (post #4,665) (skip to the "EQing journey" section). Yes, you might lose a bit of "air" from doing this (which could be remedied with shelf filters), but you will be hearing everything in the recording without anything being unnaturally amplified (though HRTF measurements for binaural headtracking might reveal upper treble and top octave resonances that are "supposed" to be there). But I agree that with some headphones, certain high Q resonances or dips are impossible to consistently EQ between earpad seatings.

Aug 29, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #10,770 of 11,920
@yeboyi In regard to your soundstage or congestion assessment, I would note that the HE1000se is more sensitive than the Arya Stealth such that when plugging in their input sensitivities and impedances into https://headphones.com/pages/headphones-power-calculator, the HE1000se would require less power to attain the same loudness level. For the same input signal out of the same amp, assuming both headphones are being driven with singled-ended or balanced cables for a fair comparison (the latter would sound louder), the HE1000se would be playing around 1.5 dB louder. If you did play around with the volume knob while A/Bing, and the Arya Stealth remained small and crowded even when played louder than the HE1000se, then I may remain interested in experiencing that model someday. To confirm, both headphones have a similar amount of space around the ears within the cups, right? Is the fit of the pad fairly similar for both?

Otherwise, as far as I've found, perceived "soundstage" tends to increase with loudness. Now, comparing https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/hifiman-arya-stealth/ and https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/hifiman-he1000se/, the latter does seem to have a slightly deeper 2 kHz dip which could contribute to a slightly greater sense of distance. The remaining differences in the treble can of course have varying subjective effects, especially the positioning of certain peaks specific to your ears. I would recommend playing with PEQ peaking filters of a Q factor of 2 centered around 1.7 kHz and 6.4 kHz and comparing the subjective result of increasing or decreasing either, or if you are patient, using those frequency responses to produce variable-band graphic EQs that would theoretically transform one into the other.

As for imaging, after volume matching the playback between the headphones, how does the imaging of the pencil at the start of differ between the headphones?

The pads are identical. Clamping force is just slightly higher on Arya. This can have some effect but not this much. I used Arya for over a year now and the soundstage was always my complaint about them. I'm very used to them. Putting on HEKSE, the stage/imaging difference is just immediately noticeable apart from loudness or the tuning scoop. I eq my headphones and i can get pretty high score from Sean Olive's ''how to listen'' software. So i can recognize frequencies and their effects to some degree. The difference here is quite obvious so i think it can't be relegated to slight loudness or midrange scoop difference.

That's a nice track. On Arya Stealth, it starts at my left eardrum and goes to my right ear from the back of my head, creating an arc. HEKSE does the same thing but more obvious and slightly more distant. It creates a bigger arc. Arya sounds like it's inside of my head, very intimate. HEKSE just slightly outside of my head. I also tried dolby atmos 7.1.4 demo. HEKSE just have better imaging contrast and space. It's like the aspect ratio of the sound is different if that makes sense. Arya is narrow and tall, HEKSE have more horizontal space. It's like 4:3 vs 16:9 aspect ratio. HEKSE also creates space between things.
1.png

I will test out more. I will eq them to harman and see how they do like that. It's time consuming because i have to switch earpads and HEKSE's earpad clips are quite secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back