HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #6,961 of 11,944
I read the issue is the rings used to attach the earpads aren't the same on non stealth versions? Seems to be based off one comment on YouTube. Just took mine off and it seems to have 9 clips on it. Inner mesh is on the pad
Ah! This is something I don’t know about. But if the mesh is attached to the pad and you get the Dekoni pads, you won’t have any inner mesh. I wouldn’t do that personally, I know the reason they changed the material of the mesh from the V1 arya to the V2 was that they were having too many warranty replacements with the old mesh (which was more open).

It sounds like you found the problem though! If I were you I’d write to Hifiman about it. I’m sure they’d send you a fresh (not deformed) set of pads to use with your specific model.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #6,962 of 11,944
Ah! This is something I don’t know about. But if the mesh is attached to the pad and you get the Dekoni pads, you won’t have any inner mesh. I wouldn’t do that personally, I know the reason they changed the material of the mesh from the V1 arya to the V2 was that they were having too many warranty replacements with the old mesh (which was more open).

It sounds like you found the problem though! If I were you I’d write to Hifiman about it. I’m sure they’d send you a fresh (not deformed) set of pads to use with your specific model.
Doesn't hurt to try but I bought it open box from an official hifiman reseller. Which one should I contact? Wouldn't hurt to have a spare set of pads

Mar 1, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #6,963 of 11,944
Xero, man that really sucks to hear you loving the headphones but not being to fully enjoy them because of comfort. It's such a weird situation because the clamp really isn't that strong on these. I was pretty happy with my Audeze LCD-GX, however the clamp force and the pads ultimately did give me discomfort on my cheekbones and my jaw right around my earlobe. I also wanted to keep them, but if I can't wear them, then what's the point, right? So I understand your pain, literally. Hoping the Dekoni pads work out for you and I'd love to hear any sonic differences you observe from it, too.

Mar 1, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #6,964 of 11,944
Yes I am, but I don't have a Burson amp though. I've got a SMSL Su-9 ESS based DAC that's neutral but not bright/harsh like some other ESS DAC's have been reported to be. I think Burson knows what they're doing pairing ESS with their amps, judging by what others have said. I just bought some more popcorn and I'll try not to eat it all before you post your impressions, haha.

I noticed that with the V6 Vivid opamps too, the stage not being as wide or voluminous as with Sparkos ss-3602's but with great realism, timbre, and detail (though I don't have a Burson amp).

I can't even wrap my head around opamp rolling yet... but trying to understand what you're saying, the V6 vivids, which apparently come standard on the Burson 3XP are not as wide... does anyone know if there's a handy dandy chart that compares different opamps? I think I recall seeing one just of the ones offered by Burson, but I'm curious...

And yep, this is the rabbit hole and I'm falling straight through the rabbit hole... haha

Mar 1, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #6,965 of 11,944
Doesn't hurt to try but I bought it open box from an official hifiman reseller. Which one should I contact? Wouldn't hurt to have a spare set of pads
I’d contact Hifiman directly. They’re generally very responsive and easy to work with. The pads you’d want are the UltraPads, which still have the mesh attached.

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #6,967 of 11,944
I’d contact Hifiman directly. They’re generally very responsive and easy to work with. The pads you’d want are the UltraPads, which still have the mesh attached.
I'll see what I can do. The V2 have the mesh on the ear cup itself, doesn't need it on the earpad

Xero, man that really sucks to hear you loving the headphones but not being to fully enjoy them because of comfort. It's such a weird situation because the clamp really isn't that strong on these. I was pretty happy with my Audeze LCD-GX, however the clamp force and the pads ultimately did give me discomfort on my cheekbones and my jaw right around my earlobe. I also wanted to keep them, but if I can't wear them, then what's the point, right? So I understand your pain, literally. Hoping the Dekoni pads work out for you and I'd love to hear any sonic differences you observe from it, too.
I'll give some updates with the new pads, will be here Tuesday the latest. I'm just super prone to headaches and head pain. Ananda was even worse, it gave me such a bad headache I called off of work. Edition XS gave me no pain whatsoever and my Arya are about as loose if not looser. It shouldn't still be hurting but that damn earpad. I'm hoping this fixes it and I can finally enjoy them, I really love them for everything. Music, gaming, movies and youtube. Fingers crossed

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #6,968 of 11,944
Now that you mention it. Same here. It seems to appear on bigger heads.

JUST DO IT :D

That's the problem... I AM! hahaha

Truth be told, I've not been as enthusiastic about a piece of audio equipment in a long while like I have with the Aryas. I use them for everything right now, from playing games, listening to music, to watching movies. They really are amazing headphones and that's the problem, I am finding myself trying to see just how much more performance I can get out of them (hence the rabbit hole of upgrading dac/amps).

I know it's said that dynamic drivers have more impact than planars, but I do not feel like I am missing out with the Aryas. Even the "slam" that I got with the Audeze I had prior is not missed; the Arya V3 have the right amount of impact for my taste. Now, I just need to get off of work to go home so I can listen some more... still in the honeymoon I suppose.

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #6,969 of 11,944
I'll see what I can do. The V2 have the mesh on the ear cup itself, doesn't need it on the earpad

I'll give some updates with the new pads, will be here Tuesday the latest. I'm just super prone to headaches and head pain. Ananda was even worse, it gave me such a bad headache I called off of work. Edition XS gave me no pain whatsoever and my Arya are about as loose if not looser. It shouldn't still be hurting but that damn earpad. I'm hoping this fixes it and I can finally enjoy them, I really love them for everything. Music, gaming, movies and youtube. Fingers crossed

Fingers crossed for you, bud; I know how frustrating that is. Seems like your usage for the headphones matches with mine, music, gaming, movies, youtube, etc!

Mar 1, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #6,970 of 11,944
Oh! Great! In that case disregard everything I said about the mesh haha I understood otherwise.

You should be good both with the Dekoni pads as well as the SerenityPads if Hifiman sends you a replacement set. Looking forward to your impressions of the Dekoni pads!!

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #6,972 of 11,944
Are the pads on the Arya supposed to allow the earcups to swivel past the yokes? Mine don't clear but they move well enough to form a seal on my head and they don't bunch up funny so that seems fine to me.
Yes, they're supposed to be 360 degree moveable/adjustable but sometimes the puffyness of the earpad cushions somewhat impedes their lateral swivel movement. I don't think it's a major defect in the grand scheme of things, just a minor irritation - it wouldn't keep them from fitting most folks well unless there was some grossly misshapen defect on the earpads.

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #6,973 of 11,944
Go to Hifiman directly. You may have to provide your receipt information. It hurts nothing to try...

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #6,974 of 11,944
That's the problem... I AM! hahaha

Truth be told, I've not been as enthusiastic about a piece of audio equipment in a long while like I have with the Aryas. I use them for everything right now, from playing games, listening to music, to watching movies. They really are amazing headphones and that's the problem, I am finding myself trying to see just how much more performance I can get out of them (hence the rabbit hole of upgrading dac/amps).

I know it's said that dynamic drivers have more impact than planars, but I do not feel like I am missing out with the Aryas. Even the "slam" that I got with the Audeze I had prior is not missed; the Arya V3 have the right amount of impact for my taste. Now, I just need to get off of work to go home so I can listen some more... still in the honeymoon I suppose.
They get even better with time, IMO.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #6,975 of 11,944
Both of my ear pads stop the cup from going through the yoke without force. So at least its symmetrical in that aspect, but I don't think you will find stock ear pads that are 100% uniformed. Maybe dekoni will be better, but its not an issue for me. HD6xx and susvara have tight ear space, but when you put on the arya and especially HD800s my ears go "dayuuum this a big room!". ;p

I guess I've been lucky that all the headphones I have tried have been comfy while all feeling a different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back