HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #6,931 of 11,944
Like you alluded to in a later post, it could be that those cans reveal any shortcomings in one's chain, or that one's chain reveal shortcomings in the transducer depending on your point of view.
Maybe they both have a symbiotic relationship - the can and the chain both form a system...

Feb 28, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #6,932 of 11,944
Ugh, I think the rabbit hole has officially been jumped down... while I didn't go stacks, I ordered another AIO to compare to the Fiio K9 Pro with the Aryas. It's just one of those things where "I wonder...". I know people have talked about Burson Audio products, so I am trying the Conductor 3XP to see how it holds up/compares/improves(?) on the K9 Pro. Still not wanting to deter away from the all-in-one, so sticking my guns on that.

Curious to hear if anyone's had experience with the Conductor 3XP with the Aryas? Or other Burson 3XP modules for that matter.

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #6,933 of 11,944
Ugh, I think the rabbit hole has officially been jumped down... while I didn't go stacks, I ordered another AIO to compare to the Fiio K9 Pro with the Aryas. It's just one of those things where "I wonder...". I know people have talked about Burson Audio products, so I am trying the Conductor 3XP to see how it holds up/compares/improves(?) on the K9 Pro. Still not wanting to deter away from the all-in-one, so sticking my guns on that.

Curious to hear if anyone's had experience with the Conductor 3XP with the Aryas? Or other Burson 3XP modules for that matter.
I'm waiting for your impressions...with the popcorn...:popcorn:

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #6,935 of 11,944
I'm waiting for your impressions...with the popcorn...:popcorn:

I recall you are a big proponent of Class A amps, so I'm curious how the Burson with an ESS and Class A will compare to the AKM and THX 788+. We will see once I take delivery of it on Thursday though!

And you guys' and your enthusiasm is appreciated!

Haasaaroni, I noticed you have the Soloist. What are your thoughts on it and pairing it with the Aryas? I'm assuming it will be a similar experience, so I'd love to hear more of your thoughts!

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #6,937 of 11,944
Haasaaroni, I noticed you have the Soloist. What are your thoughts on it and pairing it with the Aryas? I'm assuming it will be a similar experience, so I'd love to hear more of your thoughts!
It’s really a match made in heaven for me. The sense of realism is incredible on the right tracks. Electric guitar tones, voices, etc have so much body and life to them, and added to the detail the Arya has it’s a real endgame setup.

My only nitpick (and this is also partially due to the Bifrost) is the stage isn’t as wide (laterally) as I’d like. It adds to the sense of speed and immediacy of the notes, but sometimes I’d just wish for some more lateral width. Forward depth and layering on the other hand…spot on.

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #6,938 of 11,944
It’s really a match made in heaven for me. The sense of realism is incredible on the right tracks. Electric guitar tones, voices, etc have so much body and life to them, and added to the detail the Arya has it’s a real endgame setup.

My only nitpick (and this is also partially due to the Bifrost) is the stage isn’t as wide (laterally) as I’d like. It adds to the sense of speed and immediacy of the notes, but sometimes I’d just wish for some more lateral width. Forward depth and layering on the other hand…spot on.

That's good to know! I thought of going to the Schiit, however, the only way I would make that happen is with stacks and I am still (stubbornly) refusing right now. I am trying to keep my desktop system as simple as possible. I've heard the Burson expands the sound stage and while I don't feel like it's lacking currently, I am very curious whether that will also apply when compared to my K9. I mean, I suppose it should, given it's double the cost of the K9. We shall see.

It's interesting though, I used to really love warmth and it's interesting how with the Aryas how that's changed. I listened to my living room system recently and was like, "oh man, where's the sparkle?! This sounds so muffled on the top end now". I just need to adjust the EQ on my system because I think I currently have it set up with a "home theater" curve.

Feb 28, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #6,939 of 11,944
That's good to know! I thought of going to the Schiit, however, the only way I would make that happen is with stacks and I am still (stubbornly) refusing right now. I am trying to keep my desktop system as simple as possible. I've heard the Burson expands the sound stage and while I don't feel like it's lacking currently, I am very curious whether that will also apply when compared to my K9. I mean, I suppose it should, given it's double the cost of the K9. We shall see.

It's interesting though, I used to really love warmth and it's interesting how with the Aryas how that's changed. I listened to my living room system recently and was like, "oh man, where's the sparkle?! This sounds so muffled on the top end now". I just need to adjust the EQ on my system because I think I currently have it set up with a "home theater" curve.
What you might consider is keeping the DAC somewhere out of view if you don’t use an AIO. That’s what I do to keep the desktop space as clean as possible. The light on the Bifrost also annoys me, so it stays on all the time, just in a little cabinet below my desk.

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #6,940 of 11,944
I recall you are a big proponent of Class A amps, so I'm curious how the Burson with an ESS and Class A will compare to the AKM and THX 788+. We will see once I take delivery of it on Thursday though!

I have a ESE with my A90 and AKM with the 788 and they sound the same to me. So in that case it would be similar style amps with different dacs...how would you know if the dacs are making a difference compared to the sound profile the amps make, or don't (THX) ?

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #6,941 of 11,944
Hello,
I have a Bifrost2 > Jot2 > Arya v2 chain and it seems pretty good, I like it a lot. Has anyone considered using the Emotiva BasX A2m with the Arya? 8.5 watts @ 47 ohms.
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/basx-a2m-stereo-flex-amplifier
I have a resistor bypassed BasX A-100 - the A2M's earlier version. It's good for what it is (an inexpensive Swiss-Army knife of a Class AB integrated speaker amp) but is not as refined as my dedicated HP amp (Gustard H20). It gives the Arya a sense of being totally unrestrained from a power standpoint, with the caveat being a higher noise floor. It's better when I put the Gustard's preamp in front of it (it's quieter and more refined). I want to see if I can change out the opamp in the A-100 to an opa2134, lme49720, or Muses 8920D instead of the ne5532 that's in it (the opamps I have on hand - I think the 5532's are in it) - the 2134's and the others being smoother, wider sounding, and richer. Have at it, but watch that volume or your ears will scream at you, haha.

Feb 28, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #6,942 of 11,944

I noticed that with the V6 Vivid opamps too, the stage not being as wide or voluminous as with Sparkos ss-3602's but with great realism, timbre, and detail (though I don't have a Burson amp).

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #6,943 of 11,944
Yes I am, but I don't have a Burson amp though. I've got a SMSL Su-9 ESS based DAC that's neutral but not bright/harsh like some other ESS DAC's have been reported to be. I think Burson knows what they're doing pairing ESS with their amps, judging by what others have said. I just bought some more popcorn and I'll try not to eat it all before you post your impressions, haha.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #6,944 of 11,944
I have a resistor bypassed BasX A-100 - the A2M's earlier version. It's good for what it is (an inexpensive Swiss-Army knife of a Class AB integrated speaker amp) but is not as refined as my dedicated HP amp (Gustard H20). It gives the Arya a sense of being totally unrestrained from a power standpoint, with the caveat being a higher noise floor. It's better when I put the Gustard's preamp in front of it (it's quieter and more refined). I want to see if I can change out the opamp in the A-100 to an opa2134, lme49720, or Muses 8920D instead of the ne5532 that's in it (the opamps I have on hand - I think the 5532's are in it) - the 2134's and the others being smoother, wider sounding, and richer. Have at it, but watch that volume or your ears will scream at you, haha.
Yeah that was my experience with my jumper-installed TA-100 as well. Tons of power, high noise floor, warm, analogue sound, but without any of the detail of my Burson, or even the FA-10 or RebelAmp for that matter.

Feb 28, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #6,945 of 11,944
So do the Dekoni pads work with V2 Arya or only the Stealth version?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back