HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #6,976 of 11,943
They get even better with time, IMO.

I am certainly finding that to be the case. The presentation has become a notable amount more expansive as you said it would after the first 50, 75, to 100+ hours of use.

Mar 1, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #6,977 of 11,943
Also to my surprise, the Burson C3XP arrived already. Was scheduled for Thursday, but apparently UPS decided to deliver early!

So that's being put through its paces with the Arya right now.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #6,978 of 11,943
Put in a number of hours of listening time on the Arya SE paired with the new Burson and am really enjoying the combination so far. There are things I like about this unit, the sound it produces being the primary one, but there are a couple of minor things I am not crazy about, mostly to do with the unit itself. My time spent listening was divided up between some games on Xbox Series X, an episode of The Witcher S2 on Netflix, a couple of YouTube videos on my TV, the 1st half of the movie Fury on UHD, and listen to a couple hours of music from my iMac. This gave me a broad scope of the Arya/Burson pairing. I’m still reserving judgment until I have broken in the Burson more and listen to it a lot more, but I am likely going to keep the Burson and sell the Fiio. Nothing wrong with the Fiio in the slightest, especially given the price; it will still get my whole-hearted recommendation at its price point. The Burson C3XP however, appears to have improved upon the sound in just about every way over the K9 Pro and as it should, considering it’s effectively double the price.

Now I have to wait until I get home from work to do more listening.

Attachments

• 2E43E6FB-4419-41C7-A0D9-43A189EB0CF1.jpeg
    2E43E6FB-4419-41C7-A0D9-43A189EB0CF1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • A445EDF8-9578-4710-AA1C-9038BA43C142.jpeg
    A445EDF8-9578-4710-AA1C-9038BA43C142.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 78BBAD68-A78E-422E-867E-4111F2D9E9A4.jpeg
    78BBAD68-A78E-422E-867E-4111F2D9E9A4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #6,979 of 11,943
Put in a number of hours of listening time on the Arya SE paired with the new Burson and am really enjoying the combination so far. There are things I like about this unit, the sound it produces being the primary one, but there are a couple of minor things I am not crazy about, mostly to do with the unit itself. My time spent listening was divided up between some games on Xbox Series X, an episode of The Witcher S2 on Netflix, a couple of YouTube videos on my TV, the 1st half of the movie Fury on UHD, and listen to a couple hours of music from my iMac. This gave me a broad scope of the Arya/Burson pairing. I’m still reserving judgment until I have broken in the Burson more and listen to it a lot more, but I am likely going to keep the Burson and sell the Fiio. Nothing wrong with the Fiio in the slightest, especially given the price; it will still get my whole-hearted recommendation at its price point. The Burson C3XP however, appears to have improved upon the sound in just about every way over the K9 Pro and as it should, considering it’s effectively double the price.

Now I have to wait until I get home from work to do more listening.

That witcher show.....good gawd man. I stopped half way into s02e2. Its a mess. Gonna replay the game when the update comes out though. The soundtrack for the game is top shelf !

Did you listen to any music ? Being so new to all these products how would your immediate perception of the burson be compared to the fio ?

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #6,980 of 11,943
I’m still reserving judgment until I have broken in the Burson more and listen to it a lot more
You'll definitely find the V6 Vivid op amps burn in over time. The sound gets warmer, more punchy, and the treble tames down a good bit. Glad to see you're enjoying the pairing already!

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #6,981 of 11,943
That witcher show.....good gawd man. I stopped half way into s02e2. Its a mess. Gonna replay the game when the update comes out though. The soundtrack for the game is top shelf !

Did you listen to any music ? Being so new to all these products how would your immediate perception of the burson be compared to the fio ?

It was tough to watch the 2nd season. It took me since it released to now to finally finish it and I'll save you the trouble... it doesn't get better. The final episode of the season was so anti-climatic. Stick to the game, that is so much better!

I did listen to a couple hours of music last night, as well; ranging from music soundtracks, choral music, rock, metal, pop, jazz, classical!

Initial thoughts on the Burson compared to the Fiio is the detail retrieval is markedly more prominent already. It is a more dynamic amplifier, at least in part due to the increase in wattage compared to the Fiio. Sound stage changed a bit, as well. It is more expansive, both laterally and in forward presence. It's not more forward, rather the sound stage in the front imaging feels just more spread out and layered. Instrument and detail separation is more refined; there's just more detail delineation. Additionally, separation in imaging is little bit more precise, while panning between the left and right channels happened a little more smoothly. Bass frequencies feel deeper and more impactful as well. I have some music that is lower bitrate or more compressed on my computer and it is far more apparent than ever before.

As I said, there are things I am less enthusiastic about with the Burson though, but none of that is linked to the sound. There are just minor gripes and nitpicks, such as the screen on the front, while I love having a digital screen to see volume, I really wish you could dim the display. Also the remote, while made completely out of aluminum, there's no dampening around the casing and the buttons themselves, so moving the remote around will make the buttons audibly rattle. Also, there's no quick way to change inputs on the unit itself; you have to go into the system menu to change it. There's a dedicated button on the remote though, so that's good. I am grateful to have the remote as it makes changing volume and changing input super easy. Still, all of these things are very livable compromises and the positives of the Burson vastly outweigh the not so positives so far.

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #6,982 of 11,943
You'll definitely find the V6 Vivid op amps burn in over time. The sound gets warmer, more punchy, and the treble tames down a good bit. Glad to see you're enjoying the pairing already!

More punchy, huh?? Treble does seem a touch edgy, but it's really not so bothersome, really; so if that smooths out a tad, awesome. Even right now, I can listen at louder volumes than previously, so there's something to say about the smoothness of the sound already. I do like what I am hearing from the V6 Vivids overall though!

Mar 3, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #6,983 of 11,943
So I contacted Hifiman and sent them pictures of everything and they're going to send me a new pair of ear cups!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #6,984 of 11,943
So I contacted Hifiman and sent them pictures of everything and they're going to send me a new pair of ear cups!
That’s awesome! As shoddy as their quality control can be at times, I’ve always found the responsiveness and care of their customer service to be top notch.

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #6,985 of 11,943

That is great to hear! Hope the new pair is much better for you!

Mar 3, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #6,986 of 11,943
That is great to hear! Hope the new pair is much better for you!
I also have the Dekoni arriving soon so I'll be sure to test them both

Mar 3, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #6,988 of 11,943
Please keep us updated. My Hifiman cans got a similar problem. Will they send you new headphones or just parts?
Email said "Rma for earpad" so should just be that

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #6,989 of 11,943
hello i just got my arya v3 and saw this: (only left cup)

is this a problem?

Attachments

• 2022-03-03 22_12_19-20220303_215516.jpg - IrfanView (Zoom_ 953 x 1270).png
    2022-03-03 22_12_19-20220303_215516.jpg - IrfanView (Zoom_ 953 x 1270).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2022-03-03 22_12_32-20220303_215554.jpg - IrfanView (Zoom_ 953 x 1270).png
    2022-03-03 22_12_32-20220303_215554.jpg - IrfanView (Zoom_ 953 x 1270).png
    677 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #6,990 of 11,943
I can't even wrap my head around opamp rolling yet... but trying to understand what you're saying, the V6 vivids, which apparently come standard on the Burson 3XP are not as wide... does anyone know if there's a handy dandy chart that compares different opamps? I think I recall seeing one just of the ones offered by Burson, but I'm curious...

And yep, this is the rabbit hole and I'm falling straight through the rabbit hole... haha
Don't get me wrong, the Vivids are excellent - transparent, excellent timbre/tonality, and wide sounding, but just not as wide as some others I have on hand. Rolling opamps can be a way of essentially having a slightly "different" sounding amp by - and they're a whole lot cheaper than buying another amp to get a different sound. One must be careful to swap out opamps with others that are compatible and to also make sure you install them correctly - or else...let the smoke out on the opamp and/or the device. You could try Googling opamp rolling and you'll come up with a plethora of hits.

I will link to a couple/few articles and reviews to start you down this particular rabbit hole:
https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/can-someone-explain-op-amp-rolling/2929
https://forum.headphones.com/t/op-amp-rolling/2939/5
https://audiofool.reviews/2019/04/18/intro_to_opamps/

The rabbit hole is deep, informative, and fun in a DIY type of way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back