HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #6,466 of 11,916
So I sold my entire collection so I have nothing else to test where fault is but I'm assuming it's the cable.

I have the Arya on stock cable going into a Schitt Heresey. I'm getting some intermittent crackles in the right driver of the speakers that gets worse if I move the cable (hence I think it's the cable). EDIT: I swapped left & right on cable the problem moved to the left driver so yup it's the cable. What cable should I swap it out to? I'm not like some on here that go nuts with the gear (no offense meant by it) but my point by that statement I'm looking for something solid cable-wise that'll hold up better than the OEM cable but don't need to spend a ton on the cable upgrade. Thanks!
Periapt cable and be done with it. Excellent build quality, low price, lack of snakeoil.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #6,467 of 11,916
So, how many active hours does the Arya V3 need to complete a thorough "break-in" or "burn-in" cycle? I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is not fixed, but I am looking for an approximate "ballpark" figure. For some reason, I never seem to be too savvy about such matters.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #6,468 of 11,916
So, how many active hours does the Arya V3 need to complete a thorough "break-in" or "burn-in" cycle? I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is not fixed, but I am looking for an approximate "ballpark" figure. For some reason, I never seem to be too savvy about such matters.
They sounded great instantly.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #6,469 of 11,916
They sounded great instantly.
Yes, i noticed that already, except that in Audio-land, some kind of "burn-in" spell or ritual always seems to be imperative, and both manufacturers and enthusiasts often prescribe one. It seems to be a sort of "lay of the land," which is why I am asking:raised_hand::raised_hand::raised_hand:

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #6,470 of 11,916
I burned mine in with pink noise for the total 150 hours Hifiman recommends, and noticed a difference all the way through. After the first 70 hours or so I noticed the biggest change, but as I kept going the highs mellowed out more, the bass got slightly more impactful, and the timbre kept improving as well. But it’s honestly hard to tell for sure what was placebo and what was actual change. I would say it’s a little of both in the end.

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #6,471 of 11,916
Can someone who's heard both the Arya SE and the latest revision of an LCD3 help with a few questions I have? I'm trying to decide between these two headphones to "audition". Currently own LCD-2's and mostly listen to rock/electronic music. I love the Audeze house sound but these Arya's have me intrigued. Are the 3's and Arya's comparable in resolution or are the Arya's more resolving? Obviously the LCD3's have a warmer sound signature, but are the dynamics/slam comparable or is the clear winner the LCD3? Soundstage seem similar, while in the treble department the Arya's have more focus and detail? Will be driving these out of a Singxer SA-1/BF2 setup so power shouldn't be an issue. Any input on the two is appreciated.

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #6,472 of 11,916
Can someone who's heard both the Arya SE and the latest revision of an LCD3 help with a few questions I have? I'm trying to decide between these two headphones to "audition". Currently own LCD-2's and mostly listen to rock/electronic music. I love the Audeze house sound but these Arya's have me intrigued. Are the 3's and Arya's comparable in resolution or are the Arya's more resolving? Obviously the LCD3's have a warmer sound signature, but are the dynamics/slam comparable or is the clear winner the LCD3? Soundstage seem similar, while in the treble department the Arya's have more focus and detail? Will be driving these out of a Singxer SA-1/BF2 setup so power shouldn't be an issue. Any input on the two is appreciated.
I'm personally sensitive to weight, so I'm immediately biased against full sized Audezes. I only tried the LCD-GX (single sided magnets) back when it was handily the lightest option from them. I currently have the Arya SE and I'm a bit of a basshead, so forgive me for what I'm about to say.

If you are open to using EQ, the bass dynamics on this headphone are ridiculous - great punch and slam, speed and detail. In fact, EQ'ing the bass up on these really helps balance the somewhat forward treble region of these for me. As I'm a bit of a basshead, these headphones are incredibly satisfying in this regard. I use two low shelves that I've been playing around with: 105hz (Oratory shelf) and 28hz for a bit more sub bass impact.

I know I'll be seen as an unrefined swine in here for even suggesting this, but even Resolve has started to prefer shelving planars. You don't need a crazy powerful amp for these to get the dynamics going, just an extra db or two over what is recommended - perhaps because of the driver size?

This headphone has everything going for it in my opinion: fantastic soundstage, speed, detail, extension and dynamics (with EQ). The comparably priced Audezes will probably have roughly equivalent level of detail and resolution, but in a far heavier package - which is a dealbreaker for me personally.

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #6,473 of 11,916
I'm personally sensitive to weight, so I'm immediately biased against full sized Audezes. I only tried the LCD-GX (single sided magnets) back when it was handily the lightest option from them. I currently have the Arya SE and I'm a bit of a basshead, so forgive me for what I'm about to say.

If you are open to using EQ, the bass dynamics on this headphone are ridiculous - great punch and slam, speed and detail. In fact, EQ'ing the bass up on these really helps balance the somewhat forward treble region of these for me. As I'm a bit of a basshead, these headphones are incredibly satisfying in this regard. I use two low shelves that I've been playing around with: 105hz (Oratory shelf) and 28hz for a bit more sub bass impact.

I know I'll be seen as an unrefined swine in here for even suggesting this, but even Resolve has started to prefer shelving planars. You don't need a crazy powerful amp for these to get the dynamics going, just an extra db or two over what is recommended - perhaps because of the driver size?

This headphone has everything going for it in my opinion: fantastic soundstage, speed, detail, extension and dynamics (with EQ). The comparably priced Audezes will probably have roughly equivalent level of detail and resolution, but in a far heavier package - which is a dealbreaker for me personally.
I do use EQ and also prefer a bass shelf. Comfort isn't too big a concern for me, I've grown pretty accustomed to the heavy audeze's. They seem like great cans, I had a brief moment to try them at Canjam and I did enjoy them but I'm not certain which version they had on the show floor. For under 2k I think I've narrowed it down to these two headphones, not sure there's a wrong decision to be made honestly. They both seem great in their own right.

Jan 13, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #6,474 of 11,916
Ive never heard the LCD3 but I have the XCs and recently sold off my LCD2 Closed Back. Both of which I always grab whenever I want to listen to electronic music and hip hop. The Audeze sound is a better match for sub heavy music IMO.

The Arya stealth also has impactful bass and pulls off sub bass genres quite well. Its still the airy Hifiman sound all around vs the darker, "meaty" sound of Audeze.
Theres something about those Audeze low mids that come through in kick drums and electronic bass sounds that are visceral and satisfying (especially post EQ) and fine tuned for modern music vs the Arya Stealth which IMO pulls off that natural bass impact you would feel standing in front of an orchestra's percussion section.

The Arya are super fast vs the more laid back Audeze that has that "PRAT" for techno/electro/house IMO.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #6,475 of 11,916

I personally didn't notice a huge difference with burn in on this particular headphone. I'd give them at least 50 hours just to be sure, but for me there was never any dramatic change. The treble might have smoothed out a bit. I've definitely had headphones that needed it a lot more.

Jan 13, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #6,476 of 11,916
Ive never heard the LCD3 but I have the XCs and recently sold off my LCD2 Closed Back. Both of which I always grab whenever I want to listen to electronic music and hip hop. The Audeze sound is a better match for sub heavy music IMO.

The Arya stealth also has impactful bass and pulls off sub bass genres quite well. Its still the airy Hifiman sound all around vs the darker, "meaty" sound of Audeze.
Theres something about those Audeze low mids that come through in kick drums and electronic bass sounds that are visceral and satisfying (especially post EQ) and fine tuned for modern music vs the Arya Stealth which IMO pulls off that natural bass impact you would feel standing in front of an orchestra's percussion section.

The Arya are super fast vs the more laid back Audeze that has that "PRAT" for techno/electro/house IMO.
Thanks for the analysis, but hear me out with regards to the Arya vs LCD-XC. There is clearly essentially a low shelf starting at 300hz here on the XC compared to the Arya. When I EQ this region to roughly match the XC, the excursive punch and weight of the Arya is incredible (*reworded to be more accurate). It is a far more 'meaty' sound as you describe, less like listening to a live musician and more like listening to a highly excursive speaker. I have no doubt that a closed back headphone will have a bit more impact and slam than the Arya, but the Arya is outstanding in this regard with EQ.

I am a basshead and the Arya has more than enough punch/slam for me with EQ. This is why I eventually just had to get the Arya SE for myself, I knew a lot of the analysis wasn't really talking about the potential of the driver, but rather the stock tuning.

1642103965166.png

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #6,477 of 11,916
Thanks for the analysis, but hear me out with regards to the Arya vs LCD-XC. There is clearly essentially a low shelf starting at 300hz here on the XC compared to the Arya. When I EQ this region to roughly match the XC, the excursive punch and weight of the Arya is incredible (*reworded to be more accurate). It is a far more 'meaty' sound as you describe, less like listening to a live musician and more like listening to a highly excursive speaker. I have no doubt that a closed back headphone will have a bit more impact and slam than the Arya, but the Arya is outstanding in this regard with EQ.

I am a basshead and the Arya has more than enough punch/slam for me with EQ. This is why I eventually just had to get the Arya SE for myself, I knew a lot of the analysis wasn't really talking about the potential of the driver, but rather the stock tuning.

Yeah I love that impact of the bass on the Arya's. I have a general shelf of 5.5db at 100hz on my RME and it really just brings out exactly what I'm looking for.

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #6,478 of 11,916
Yeah I love that impact of the bass on the Arya's. I have a general shelf of 5.5db at 100hz on my RME and it really just brings out exactly what I'm looking for.
I'm using two shelves, +6db at 105hz and another +5db at 30hz (This is more of a basshead EQ haha). That 100hz shelf makes the most difference though.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #6,479 of 11,916
FWIW I find the Arya Stealths just about perfect without any EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back