HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #6,481 of 11,916
Looking to add a V3 to my collection but I'm not sure if they'll do enough differently compared to my RAD-0 and LCDX 2021's.

Any thoughts?

I heard the V3's in my local shop with an iFi Diablo and absolutely fell in love with them but I didn't have any of my gear with me so I couldn't A/B.

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #6,482 of 11,916
So, how many active hours does the Arya V3 need to complete a thorough "break-in" or "burn-in" cycle? I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is not fixed, but I am looking for an approximate "ballpark" figure. For some reason, I never seem to be too savvy about such matters.
HFM recommends about 150 hours, but the process starts at around ~25- 50 hours. Of course, this is simply my opinion after owning several v2's and now the v3.

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #6,483 of 11,916
FWIW I find the Arya Stealths just about perfect without any EQ.
Yeah I didn't really think I needed to do any EQ either. With that 100hz bass shelf boost it is a lot more satisfying. Everything you love about the bass comes out more. It's something you don't know is missing until you hear / feel it.

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #6,484 of 11,916
Yes, i noticed that already, except that in Audio-land, some kind of "burn-in" spell or ritual always seems to be imperative, and both manufacturers and enthusiasts often prescribe one. It seems to be a sort of "lay of the land," which is why I am asking:raised_hand::raised_hand::raised_hand:
Burn in is a process that stresses the driver from it's brand new "tight" condition, to a more relaxed and easier to move/easier to respond to the signal - state of the diaphragm. They've been even known to get easier to drive as a result of the process. I've experienced them getting easier to drive first-hand.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #6,486 of 11,916
I'm personally sensitive to weight, so I'm immediately biased against full sized Audezes. I only tried the LCD-GX (single sided magnets) back when it was handily the lightest option from them. I currently have the Arya SE and I'm a bit of a basshead, so forgive me for what I'm about to say.

If you are open to using EQ, the bass dynamics on this headphone are ridiculous - great punch and slam, speed and detail. In fact, EQ'ing the bass up on these really helps balance the somewhat forward treble region of these for me. As I'm a bit of a basshead, these headphones are incredibly satisfying in this regard. I use two low shelves that I've been playing around with: 105hz (Oratory shelf) and 28hz for a bit more sub bass impact.

I know I'll be seen as an unrefined swine in here for even suggesting this, but even Resolve has started to prefer shelving planars. You don't need a crazy powerful amp for these to get the dynamics going, just an extra db or two over what is recommended - perhaps because of the driver size?

This headphone has everything going for it in my opinion: fantastic soundstage, speed, detail, extension and dynamics (with EQ). The comparably priced Audezes will probably have roughly equivalent level of detail and resolution, but in a far heavier package - which is a dealbreaker for me personally.
No one has the right to grill you at all for your bass preferences. Shake off those "judges" and keep on listening the way you like - you pay the cost to be the boss. While I like listening to my HPs "straight, no chaser" and not being one to use EQ, there is absolutely no one that has the power nor the right to dictate what you like - even if deemed unnecessary by many (self included). Happy listening and keep us posted.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #6,487 of 11,916
Yeah sounds like something I’ve told myself before as well….:thinking:

You might want to look at finding a used Jotunheim 2 for a good balanced amp that plays well with the Arya. That’s probably the lowest-costing balanced desktop amp I would recommend for the Arya, personally. I wouldn’t go anywhere near the lower level THX stuff with an already bright headphone.
2nd the Jot 2. I pair mine with a Schiit Lyr 3, with a PSVane Tennis ball tube as a pre-amp. Sublime.

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #6,488 of 11,916
FWIW I find the Arya Stealths just about perfect without any EQ.
Here's the thing.
Phones can be spot on phonically. Humans have various degrees of hearing.
My 63 YO ears may be better than 26 YO ears, (well, it's possible, I have exceptional hearing), but they will be different. Every human has unique hearing.
EQ allows one to tailor the phones to the individual human.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #6,489 of 11,916
As promised, I'm reporting back on my session comparing the Arya V2 and V3 today (sound only). It was quite a journey so bear with me.

Disclaimer, I loved both, but neither was perfect. I still haven't decided which I'll buy. I'll sit with the experience for a few days then decide. Maybe you kind folks can share which you'd go for based on the following recap? Here goes:

First impressions:

Arya V2 - brighter, even siblant at times (e.g. Losing my Religion, 2 mins in), bigger stage, less in your head, slightly less impactful bass (but still has great extension and rumble in sub-bass), slow decay in treble, more defined layering and separation (highly impressive but almost unrealistic at times). Imperfect timbre (but by no means bad, better than my first listen to the V2 a few weeks ago).

Arya V3 -Thicker more impactful bass, slightly narrower soundstage than V2, a bit more in your head in or at least closer. Slightly warmer, fuller sound, fractionally less siblant in Losing my Religion (but still siblant nonetheless). Less airy, less wow-factor.

At this point I was leaning clearly towards the V2 as my preference.

Then, enter the Susvara!

Added it to the mix mix as a reference (because, it's Susvara) and then I started to see what was happening (I think). Now, don't get confused, the Susvara is superior to the Aryas (and everything else I've ever heard) except for its soundstage, which is narrower than the V2. It's THE MOST RESOLVING headphone I've tried. I heard things in the Susvara that I've never heard in another set of headphones.

The stealth magnets construction of the V3 seem to bring it closer in sound signature to the Susvara than the V2 particularly, in terms of warmth, tonality and staging (but not detail and resolution).

I emphasise, do not expect Susvaras from the V3, just that you are closer to Susvara than V2, but that doesn't mean I prefer the V3. I'm torn and probably still leaning towards the V2. I love the airy-ness and wider stage of the V2. It made the experience more relaxing, enjoyable and unique for me. The V3 didn't feel special to me until I tested the Susvara and felt the V3 was a step in Susvara direction. The V3 does sound fuller through the bass and mid range, and perhaps a smidge more detailed than the V2 (but of course, not as detailed as the SusVs).

So those are my impressions. Let me know if any questions... And let me know which you'd choose based on those impressions cos I'm quite stuck now. This could be the last chance for me to get a new V2 so that is also a consideration in my mind.

(For craps and giggles I also threw my Gold Planar GL2000 into the mix to finally put that hype to bed in my own mind... It is I'm no where near the same league. Also tried out the focal Stellia - a totally different ball game and not worth saying more about that now.)
Someone posted on the GL2000 thread that the GL2000 was superior to the Arya v2. They said that it had overall more natural timbre and instrument/vocal realism - and that it surpasses the Ananda and competes with both the Ayra v2 and a non-specified Audeze HP. What are your thoughts on the matter of it being an "almost"?

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #6,490 of 11,916

Interesting comparison and it's closer than you might have expected, at least in this guy's opinion.

Jan 14, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #6,491 of 11,916

Interesting comparison and it's closer than you might have expected, at least in this guy's opinion.

Yeah. Michael has a really good ear as well so I take his reviews more seriously than most. V3 Arya is now on the top of my list and I'll be pulling the trigger on purchasing a set at the end of the month.

Jan 14, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #6,492 of 11,916

This is such a great comparison! I remember hearing the Susvara and then the Arya Stealth Magnet at CanJam SoCal. Although I herd them a few minutes apart and on different gear, I definitely had pretty much exactly the same impressions he came away with. While I was clearly impressed with the Arya, that detail and soundstaging on the Susvara was just mind-blowing...

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #6,494 of 11,916
Why no review of lcd-4 ?

"WHY HAVEN'T YOU ALREADY REVIEWED THIS SPECIFIC PRODUCT THAT I'M PARTICULARLY THINKING ABOUT"

The comment on every review of any audio product ever.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #6,495 of 11,916
Here's the thing.
Phones can be spot on phonically. Humans have various degrees of hearing.
My 63 YO ears may be better than 26 YO ears, (well, it's possible, I have exceptional hearing), but they will be different. Every human has unique hearing.
EQ allows one to tailor the phones to the individual human.
I don't "get" folks EQing to a "target" that a group of folks (expert or not) came up with as being "preferred." Seems to me that those who shoot for the same/similar targets are robbing individual and unique HPs of the things that make them unique - and are trying to make them sound generic and homogenized. I could see this in a studio to gain a general reference over different HPs - to get the mixing/mastering right - but not in casual/listening pleasure. Like a "one size fits all" way of thinking/listening 🤷‍♂️.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back