HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 20, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #4,293 of 11,873
The arya fresh out of box so yeah going to give it time. Never personally believed in burn in, until planars, specifically Hifiman ones, that sundara change in the bass over time was just so noticeable.
Heard the V1 it sounded artificial & more open. But since then my L700 Then HD800 were a daily driver so my perception of soundstage, space & layering e.t.c is much different now vs then.
Yeah I was a non believer too, until my Ananda went through burn in and actually sounded worse to my ears :sweat_smile: Luckily the Arya had the opposite effect. I have heard though that the V1 are said to have a more expansive soundstage though. Keep us posted!

Jul 20, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #4,294 of 11,873
Well my Arya arrived finally after being held hosting in Australia for a week!, Sounds bit different to how i remember not just in treble but soundstage & layering really feels lacking. Then swapped over my XLR cable & now sounds "faster" (decay) than I remember, even "faster" than my L700 from memory. Bass is right on the boarder of a hard punch, almost there, this said my D90+SP400 does tend to lean a bit more bass/sub-bass heavy when not much else is going on in the music. Anyway for now i'm going to sit back & enjoy until I adjust to it.
+1 for the burn in. They change noticeably after they've had time to stretch out a while. Put them on a loop of music or pink noise nightly for a week or two (okay to listen intermittently) and then give them a critical listen. Download the free "BurninwaveGenerator" for the test tones. Keep us posted.

Jul 20, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #4,295 of 11,873
How are Aryas with a JDS Element for amp/dac combo? I'm looking for a combo set up (2 in 1 or stack) to pair with Arya. Budget probably around same price as JDS Element 2
I'd also say the JDS is too clean for the Arya. I'd say go with a Schiit stack if you can wait out the backorder situation. Either an Asgard 3 and Modius, or stretch a little and get a Jot 2 with a DAC card. The Arya loves some good class A power :sunglasses:

Jul 20, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #4,296 of 11,873
I'd also say the JDS is too clean for the Arya. I'd say go with a Schiit stack if you can wait out the backorder situation. Either an Asgard 3 and Modius, or stretch a little and get a Jot 2 with a DAC card. The Arya loves some good class A power :sunglasses:
This is wrong, the arya don't need much power or class A amp's without EQ or incredible quiet source. Something around 0.2-0.3W is sufficient enough, for example, the Ifi HipDac can drive them to the owner hearing limit easily.

This can all be calculated, measurements of devices can be found in the internet for many interesting amps and i can even back this up, because i did blind tests with all of this with a switch box, multioutput to all devices at the same time with arya, 1000v2, susvara, heddphone, zmf auteur and verite as well audeze lcd-2.

Solid state Amps, if measured flat, otherwise most likely sound all exactly the same, as long as they can provide the needed power. Only tube hybrid's or tube sound different, which can be pick easy in blind test level matched, but not SS amps.

You can even drive the hifiman susvara off an xduoo XD-05 BAL and it sounds exactly the same like a questyle twelve master. But in this case, the mobile amp is operating at its limit, if you like to listen very very loud (past 90dbA), otherwise its save without EQ.

If you want to be absolutely safe, you could buy for example the ifi signature and used it for on the way or at home as desktop amp, anywhere you want and you got enough power for pretty much every headphone that dosn't require more power then the hifiman susvara.

Attachments

• 20210714_141431.jpg
    20210714_141431.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210714_132912.jpg
    20210714_132912.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210714_144300.jpg
    20210714_144300.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #4,298 of 11,873
This is wrong, the arya don't need much power or class A amp's without EQ or incredible quiet source. Something around 0.2-0.3W is sufficient enough, for example, the Ifi HipDac can drive them to the owner hearing limit easily.

This can all be calculated, measurements of devices can be found in the internet for many interesting amps and i can even back this up, because i did blind tests with all of this with a switch box, multioutput to all devices at the same time with arya, 1000v2, susvara, heddphone, zmf auteur and verite as well audeze lcd-2.

Solid state Amps, if measured flat, otherwise most likely sound all exactly the same, as long as they can provide the needed power. Only tube hybrid's or tube sound different, which can be pick easy in blind test level matched, but not SS amps.

You can even drive the hifiman susvara off an xduoo XD-05 BAL and it sounds exactly the same like a questyle twelve master. But in this case, the mobile amp is operating at its limit, if you like to listen very very loud (past 90dbA), otherwise its save without EQ.

If you want to be absolutely safe, you could buy for example the ifi signature and used it for on the way or at home as desktop amp, anywhere you want and you got enough power for pretty much every headphone that dosn't require more power then the hifiman susvara.
I agree that Arya doesn't need a lot of power, she needs a quality amplifier.
I’m not sure if I got you right when you claim that for Arya all amps are the same(sound quality).
With so many amps on the table the experience is on your side

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #4,299 of 11,873
Solid state Amps, if measured flat, otherwise most likely sound all exactly the same, as long as they can provide the needed power.
Trust me, I would be super happy if this is the truth. Sadly, not at all.

They may have similar character, but still on so many different level of sound quality.

Jul 20, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #4,301 of 11,873
@tjdub

those cans are not mine, wanted to listen to them, in case i consider buying one, but my ears were too big for the susvara and the meze sounded really weird to me. The heddphone won this competition, but is too big and clunky for girls.

I agree that Arya doesn't need a lot of power, she needs a quality amplifier.
I’m not sure if I got you right when you claim that for Arya all amps are the same(sound quality).
With so many amps on the table the experience is on your side

You heard me right, i use an XLR switch box and selfmade balanced cables to be able to use the amps full power and level matched all amps with the spl device at 1khz sinus wave to my listening level and the signal to DAC was given out simultaneously to all dac/amps at the same time. All tested dac/amps sounded exactly the same with no exception whatsoever.

For example from my pictures, the xduoo XD-05 BAL VS Questyle Twelve Master sounds exactly the same. I can back it up and reproduce this 100% unbiased and invite everyone who wants to try it out in germany/hannover, if you want, pm and visit me. I have invited someone who claimed there are difference in his result and he never answered my pm inviting him to come over.

So far everyone who is claiming something different and lives even nearby is either ignoring my invite, responding with nonsense or straightforward ignores me entirely, which speaks for itself really, when it comes to confronting, everyone suddenly fear my test.

Trust me, I would be super happy if this is the truth. Sadly, not at all.

They may have similar character, but still on so many different level of sound quality.

I have just tested 2 people who believed strongly in different sound and were absolutely sure, that the headphone amp section from the RME-ADI2 DAC FS for example was terrible and were quite shocked to learn that it sounds the same like for example the HeadAmp GS-X Mini, or let me correctly myself, is just doing its job properly to not changing the sound.

You can tell me which ones sounded different to you, if i should be able to test them, or heard them myself and tested it with my switch box, i can tell you the truth. Everything else is a biased opinion and whishes how it has to sound, not what actually is the case. Unless you have tested it level matched and being able to switch between sources instantly.

I can back it up and deliver the same result every single time and have no trouble confronting anyone who's willing to try, can you? :)

May put a list together of devices i have personally tested myself and what headphones you could pair up with it with/without EQ (EQ needs negative preAmp which means you need a whole lot more power just for the eq).

BUT There is something to be happy about. Something like an xduoo ta-30 actually sounds different. Not by a lot, but you can point it out pretty reliable. So for me, either EQ and/or Tube is the way to go for changing the sound, or features like true bass 3D from idi audio. That's it. I know it sounds boring, but that's how it is.

Just buy something that delivers enough juice for what you want to use and ow (eq) and the rest (materials, features, how it looks, brands name if thats a thing) is just up to your taste, but has nothing to do with sound quality :)

Attachments

• 20210716_164514.jpg
    20210716_164514.jpg
    911.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #4,303 of 11,873
Jul 20, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #4,304 of 11,873
That's nice to hear
Tell me, is the fullness of tone, texture, layering, 3D display, dynamics the same with the two amplifiers you mentioned

Yes, it is, up to about High Gain and 8 from 9 steps on the poti on the xduoo againts the twelve master. I could not go further, as my ears would give up. But this device would have no headroom left for EQ. only without EQ, but you can drive the susvara on the go with that.

Ifi got the micro signature with more power for example, i could imagine that even eq would be doable with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back