HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 21, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #4,321 of 11,872
I've been driving the Arya out of my DAP lately and the results are surprisingly excellent. Hard to justify this as a truly portable option due to sound leakage and battery consumption, but the sound quality is definitely there and it's been fun to tinker around with EQ.

20210721_153830.jpg

Jul 21, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #4,322 of 11,872
A few people spit already coffee, so to speak, because of no audible difference.

You don't have to, because it doesn't matter. You could compare and mix

- 3x same DAC + 3x different AMP
- 3x different DAC + 3x same AMP
- 3x different DAC + 3x different AMP

The result will be the same, no audible difference aside from hiss/noisefloor.

If you have an Amp that can produce 0.8-1.5W and output up to 6V and the DAC measure flat and got a somewhat okay SINAD, this device will be enough to drive pretty much any headphone on the market including the hifiman susvara, one example would be the ifi micro signature. It's Endgame for Transistor, there is nothing beyond this. Another example would be, hmm lets say Topping EX5.

And FX Audio DAC X6 or ifi iDSD, ifi hip dac and the like are able to drive most headphones as well with no audible difference to big desktop amps and dac's. And i can prove that live anytime at my place for anyone, who is interested to try it out. PM me, if you're from germany, or somewhere around visiting our country.
This is like when someone who has never taken a statistics class insists that the odds of anything happening are 50/50 "because it either will or it won't."

No. That's not how that works.

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #4,323 of 11,872
... I wish we could delete duplicate posts.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #4,324 of 11,872
All amps sound the same??

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #4,326 of 11,872
How would you describe the HD800S vs Arya?

The Arya has better extension and resolution in the bass, while the 800S has more intense bass impact and more natural decay. On the other hand, the Arya has surprisingly impactful bass for a planar, a big step up from the Ananda there, while the 800S has fairly good bass extension for a dynamic. It's still outclassed in bass impact, extension, and detail by the Focal Clear, but it is certainly not lacking in bass.

With the mids, the Arya has slightly better instrument separation, but the 800S is not far behind. But, the Arya has a 2khz dip and some 3-5khz shoutiness that make vocals sound slightly odd and recessed. The vocals on the 800S also sound a bit distant, but the tuning is superb. I definitely prefer the nearly perfect mids on the Sennheiser to the slightly more resolving, but a bit less coherent mids on the HiFiMan.

The Arya has tons of resolution and presence in the treble, but it's a bit too elevated at time, making cymbals very splashy. 800S has less of an ethereal sound to the treble, but again the tuning is, to my ears, just about perfect here. Tons of detail without sounding forced or unnatural.

Hearing the two side by side, the core difference to me is that the 800S sounds far more natural with only slightly less resolution. The Arya comes off as more intense and detailed, but not as realistic when it comes to certain instruments. Both are outstanding headphones and well worth owning though.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #4,327 of 11,872
Solid state Amps, if measured flat, otherwise most likely sound all exactly the same, as long as they can provide the needed power. Only tube hybrid's or tube sound different, which can be pick easy in blind test level matched, but not SS amps.
Take a Sennheiser HD 800, plug it into a Violectric V200, and then in a Bryson BHA-1 and tell me they sound the same.

Jul 22, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #4,328 of 11,872
@Ripper2860

no, all Solid state amps will only sound the same, if all requirements of the headphones and your listening level, THD and so on is above what the human ear can hear, then it sounds the same.

I do agree that a lot of amps and dacs do sound the same but they are just the same amount IMO that do not. But to each there own I don't follow the zeos mentality

Could you list me all dac/amps, that do not sound the same in your opinion please? If i get the chance to compare, i would do that. don't list tube amps and such, because they will obviously sound different.

This is like when someone who has never taken a statistics class insists that the odds of anything happening are 50/50 "because it either will or it won't."

No. That's not how that works.

I don't care about statistics, all i care about are facts and the fact is, all dac/amps i have tested do their job as they should and nothing else.

The funny part about the audio world is, as soon as i invite people even nearby to come and test themself, first blind and then open and do it themself for the process to accept of how things are all that barking vanish and they never talk back ever again, because of fear they might be wrong.

You know, when i was doing some testing at a dealers place, i asked the owner and some staff members, when they had a ton of free time to chit chat, if they want to listen for just a moment, they turned their tails and run off, telling me they had to do something, but were glaring at me for more then half an hour instead comparing their stuff. Some told me, it needs to be done without stress in the evening, so i asked them to come over to my place or i would visit them at home if that's better because we live in the same town or just met on neutral ground somewhere else in a nice quiet place.

Do you know what happened? Planned holiday, someone to take care of, too many kids at home at all times, no time for no reason yada yada. It's the same every single time. But i can understand the dealer's perspective, they have to earn money.

Take a Sennheiser HD 800, plug it into a Violectric V200, and then in a Bryson BHA-1 and tell me they sound the same.

I know someone in Munich that got the V200, but he is literally living on the other side of Germany, not sure if we will ever meet, but i could ask him if he would rent me that thing for a couple of days, not sure if he is willing to send it to me though, as we know each other just online.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #4,329 of 11,872
@Ripper2860

no, all Solid state amps will only sound the same, if all requirements of the headphones and your listening level, THD and so on is above what the human ear can hear, then it sounds the same.

Could you list me all dac/amps, that do not sound the same in your opinion please? If i get the chance to compare, i would do that. don't list tube amps and such, because they will obviously sound different.

Yes bro, it's all good, if you think your theory of

"all Solid state amps will only sound the same, if all requirements of the headphones and your listening level, THD and so on is above what the human ear can hear, then it sounds the same"

Then I guess you have a happy life and no need to think about stuff out there. Missing a lot of fun in audio journey though.

I can list a ton of ss gear that precisely not sound the same, but what for? I'm sure I can't change opinion by words here :L3000:.

Anyway, back to topic, finally today I able to tested Arya. It's brand new from factory, so I think already got all revision. As far as I remember sibilance seem less than the older version, but the airy and slight bright tonality still there, along with deep extension and clean bass texture, which is good because these characters what make Arya unique.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #4,330 of 11,872
The Arya has better extension and resolution in the bass, while the 800S has more intense bass impact and more natural decay. On the other hand, the Arya has surprisingly impactful bass for a planar, a big step up from the Ananda there, while the 800S has fairly good bass extension for a dynamic. It's still outclassed in bass impact, extension, and detail by the Focal Clear, but it is certainly not lacking in bass.

With the mids, the Arya has slightly better instrument separation, but the 800S is not far behind. But, the Arya has a 2khz dip and some 3-5khz shoutiness that make vocals sound slightly odd and recessed. The vocals on the 800S also sound a bit distant, but the tuning is superb. I definitely prefer the nearly perfect mids on the Sennheiser to the slightly more resolving, but a bit less coherent mids on the HiFiMan.

The Arya has tons of resolution and presence in the treble, but it's a bit too elevated at time, making cymbals very splashy. 800S has less of an ethereal sound to the treble, but again the tuning is, to my ears, just about perfect here. Tons of detail without sounding forced or unnatural.

Hearing the two side by side, the core difference to me is that the 800S sounds far more natural with only slightly less resolution. The Arya comes off as more intense and detailed, but not as realistic when it comes to certain instruments. Both are outstanding headphones and well worth owning though.
According to your description, I almost heard them.
In my memory Arya would be an upgrade to the Hd 700 -IMO.
I currently own an HD 540 RG and an Arya, both featuring a large stage, but their settings are different, and I’m very happy with both headphones, and change them often when listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back