HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #4,276 of 11,871
People hear what people believe they hear. Once someone makes up their mind as to whether they like or dislike the sound of their headphones, there's no changing it.

'A person's mind changed against their will is of the same opinion still.'

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #4,278 of 11,871
People hear what people believe they hear. Once someone makes up their mind as to whether they like or dislike the sound of their headphones, there's no changing it.

A person's mind changed against their will is of the same opinion still.
Owned 3 AKG K712 over time hated1, bought 1 because told I was wrong 50/50 on liking it, loved the last 1 unfortunately had to sell to pay off HD800s. Did they all sound the same. Well the way i explained the sound at the time, Yes they did.
I adjusted to the treble peak by the 3rd which was the only issue with me not liking it. So yeah pretty much that was the issue, thankfully took the time to adjust in the end, more people should, cheaper than re-buying headphones!

Also Australia is holding my Arya hostage! please send backup!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #4,279 of 11,871
I've found that my perception of what sounds good vs what sounds "better" has changed over time with more listening and experience. I had a set of Pioneer cans in the late 80's or early 90's that I have fond memories of sounding excellent. Wonder how they'd sound now beside Arya:thinking:?

Jul 18, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #4,280 of 11,871
Makes sense as listening is a learned skill. The more we critically listen the better our ability to judge and appreciate good sound quality becomes. Sentimentality and fond memories do tend to skew affection in the favor of what which we are fondly recalling. Given what we've learned since then, it would likely just be a disappointment. :D

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #4,283 of 11,871
Materials (magnets ...) are certainly better, but the overall performance can be on the side of vintage headphones
Can you explain this
My experience
On impartial listening, new headphones do not always win.
That depends on a whole lot of variables - mind, mood, system, preferences, etc. Good sound is good sound no matter what the HP technology. I still remind myself that it's ultimately more about the musical enjoyment, not the gear used.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #4,284 of 11,871
Can you explain this
My experience
On impartial listening, new headphones do not always win
I'm saying that fond memories of experiences tend to be 'enhanced' over time. As one reflects back they tend to be embeliished. Emphasis on the word TEND. This was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and not a general statement on new things always being better.

Ex:. In my mind, my Koss Pro 4/A headphones from the 1970s were one of the best I ever owned. I cherished these HPs when I was 19 years old and was heartbroken when they stopped working in the mid 80s. Nothing could ever touch them - or so I thought...

I recently heard them again at a used record store listening station. Yeah - they sounded a whole lot better in my memories. 😄

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #4,285 of 11,871
I agree with you
and that on a cheap system, if you get into the music ,your experience is more complete than analytical listening on an expensive system
and that is why music is the most important, a fact that we neglect with a blind race for constant upgrading
Of course, the upgrade is good, but let's not forget why we do all this

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #4,286 of 11,871
Well my Arya arrived finally after being held hosting in Australia for a week!, Sounds bit different to how i remember not just in treble but soundstage & layering really feels lacking. Then swapped over my XLR cable & now sounds "faster" (decay) than I remember, even "faster" than my L700 from memory. Bass is right on the boarder of a hard punch, almost there, this said my D90+SP400 does tend to lean a bit more bass/sub-bass heavy when not much else is going on in the music. Anyway for now i'm going to sit back & enjoy until I adjust to it.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #4,287 of 11,871
Well my Arya arrived finally after being held hosting in Australia for a week!, Sounds bit different to how i remember not just in treble but soundstage & layering really feels lacking. Then swapped over my XLR cable & now sounds "faster" (decay) than I remember, even "faster" than my L700 from memory. Bass is right on the boarder of a hard punch, almost there, this said my D90+SP400 does tend to lean a bit more bass/sub-bass heavy when not much else is going on in the music. Anyway for now i'm going to sit back & enjoy until I adjust to it.
Might just need some burn in. Mine really opened up after a hundred hours or so. Did you hear the first edition of these or the recent revision?

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #4,288 of 11,871
Ha ha. I'mma leave him where he stands, some people just don't 'get' better actual sound quality. The same reason my Father once tried to impress me with his new TOTL Bose Acoustimass system last year. I was kind and didn't push, out of embarrassment and respect. But still... Extreme yuck.
That's true..... Majority of people are unaware and kind of not that interested in these products......it happened a few weeks ago to me too..... I was looking for an iem and was asking about Final audio e5000...... The guy started recommending me beats flex..He really said these were better at half the price....this was at a local audio store😓😂

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #4,289 of 11,871
How are Aryas with a JDS Element for amp/dac combo? I'm looking for a combo set up (2 in 1 or stack) to pair with Arya. Budget probably around same price as JDS Element 2

Jul 20, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #4,290 of 11,871
Might just need some burn in. Mine really opened up after a hundred hours or so. Did you hear the first edition of these or the recent revision?
The arya fresh out of box so yeah going to give it time. Never personally believed in burn in, until planars, specifically Hifiman ones, that sundara change in the bass over time was just so noticeable.
Heard the V1 it sounded artificial & more open. But since then my L700 Then HD800 were a daily driver so my perception of soundstage, space & layering e.t.c is much different now vs then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back