Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
Nov 26, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #61 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We will release a hi-end amp board for HM-801 soon. In the next two or three month people will be able to buy it separately. Some other amp builders also are working on making amp board for HM-801.

Great news Fang. When can you shed more information on your amp? Specs, price, etc? I'm assuming the other amp builders will release their own info when ready?

Nov 26, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #62 of 552
Great news indeed. I look forward to hearing the hi-end amp board.

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #63 of 552
Quote:

I wish you could understand the amplifier section of HM-801 is a modular design. Modular design means: If you don't like the amp, go and get a better amp board.

We will release a hi-end amp board for HM-801 soon. In the next two or three month people will be able to buy it separately. Some other amp builders also are working on making amp board for HM-801.

In addition, I can not agree your opinion that "the price exorbitant". I am very sure you will not be able to find a decent PCM1704UK source, or even DAC, below 700usd in this planet, not to say a portable device.

Hi, thanks for your clarification. I wasn't aware that hi-end amp modules would be released later on. This is good news. While I still hold on to my prior statement, I say so on the grounds that this unit was, and is, being advertised as an all-in-one portable solution. So when a user started saying that another unit tethered to this one makes it sound better, I was a bit dismayed, and understandably so, as this is, again, supposed to be an all-in-one solution.

But your statement on higher-end amp boards to replace the amp module inside has reaffirmed my faith in this unit, as I do not want to have to buy separate units to have to tie to this one.

Though I have not heard the unit myself, I was just a bit worried at first with the whole D10 statement, and I am sure you can at the least understand why I would be when I wanted my all-in-one portable box to be precisely just that: all-in-one.

That said, I am currently waiting for my unit to arrive (yes, I placed an order weeks ago), and am part of the 2nd batch. It's always been my intention to get this unit.

Nov 27, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #64 of 552
Quote:

I wish you could understand the amplifier section of HM-801 is a modular design. Modular design means: If you don't like the amp, go and get a better amp board.

In addition, I can not agree your opinion that "the price exorbitant". I am very sure you will not be able to find a decent PCM1704UK source, or even DAC, below 700usd in this planet, not to say a portable device.

Very interesting explanation, modular stock amp = If you don't like the amp, go and get a better amp board =?

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #65 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, thanks for your clarification. I wasn't aware that hi-end amp modules would be released later on. This is good news. While I still hold on to my prior statement, I say so on the grounds that this unit was, and is, being advertised as an all-in-one portable solution. So when a user started saying that another unit tethered to this one makes it sound better, I was a bit dismayed, and understandably so, as this is, again, supposed to be an all-in-one solution.

How does the fact that it sounds better with something else NOT make it an all in one solution? It still is.. you're always going to find a better amp somewhere .. its not like the onboard amp isn't good enough... there's ALWAYS something better, up to you if you want to use it or not.

Nov 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #67 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the fact that it sounds better with something else NOT make it an all in one solution? It still is.

I can't agree more.

When I bought the IMod 4G few years ago, I was dismayed that I need to take a portable amp to use it. Hence it took me literally few months to plunge. I wished that it's an all-in-one player rather than just a source than. The HiFiMan 801 did answered my prayers
icon10.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #68 of 552
Quote:

GOOD JOB - Hancock

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #69 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I have not yet ordered an 801, I am considering doing so in the future, but am somewhat surprised that the 801 sounds better when ported to the D10.

It was my impression that the amplifier section was supposed to be of a much higher quality than most other portable amps. To have an additional piece of equipement to lash to the 801 seems counterproductive to the design intent, as it would make for a rather large portable package, rather than a single all-in-one piece of gear. .

the initial focus has always been on the internal Op-Amp and DAC Chip ~

the amp section has always been left open for your imagination
wink.gif

the amplifier section IS of a much higher quality than most other portable amps such as fiio or CoMY or majority of amp in consumer grade MP3 player.

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #70 of 552
Anybody tried 24/96 files? It's gorgeous.

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #71 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody tried 24/96 files? It's gorgeous.

Where do you get your 24/96 files? What format are they in?

And since Fang has not had time to answer, I will ask if anyone who has a unit has tried playing a WMA lossless file? The specs that were originally posted listed this format as compatible, but more recent info has only mentioned WMA files which usually refers to lossy WMAs. I use Burwen Bobcat software which means all of the music I would use is already in WMA lossless, and I would rather not have to convert it all to FLAC.

Thanks.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #72 of 552
There are some wma files stored in the Flash On Board. Why don't you try it?

My 24/96 files were free due to a net promotion shown on a thread of head-fi. But it seems the promotion is now closed and the link is no longer available.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #74 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by testrichard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the initial focus has always been on the internal Op-Amp and DAC Chip ~

the amp section has always been left open for your imagination
wink.gif

the amplifier section IS of a much higher quality than most other portable amps such as fiio or CoMY or majority of amp in consumer grade MP3 player.

In my knowledge, Fiio amp is only priced about 18 dollars. Do you mean the amplifier of HIFIMAN is the top one in this league?

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #75 of 552
Quote:

Originally Posted by newfier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my knowledge, Fiio amp is only priced about 18 dollars. Do you mean the amplifier of HIFIMAN is the top one in this league?

wouldnt you expect the least Hifiman can do is to top that?

dont pick on what i said, rather ask people already owns it where it tops ?

the spec is all there for the amp board atm, how about wait till the dust settle then ask the same question again ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back