= Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification)
Mar 21, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #287 of 321
Have anyone still measured about effect of this mod?
And why is this mod have not had any more followers, even that he400i are so cheap nowdays?
I don't think I've seen any convincing measurement data for the fuzzor mod. Though in theory, more damping that isn't in the sound waves path shouldn't hurt by helping to absorb reflections.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #289 of 321
Many (if not most) of those who have HE-6 have abandoned the fuzzor mod.

After putting leather pads with memory foam on, the tonality is close to perfect and the bass and punch is just reference class.

Recommended pads are Brainwavz HM5 angled real leather or protein leather - or ZMF Ori pads.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #290 of 321
Aint that original Audeze fuzzor made from plastic, and is more like a wavequide, than a dampener.
And i was wondering that if it makes marvelous, would not Hifiman made something similar to it´s newer products allready?
And audeze just released that classic model from LCD2, where they got rid off that fuzzor, and got back to original version.

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #291 of 321
Aint that original Audeze fuzzor made from plastic, and is more like a wavequide, than a dampener.
And i was wondering that if it makes marvelous, would not Hifiman made something similar to it´s newer products allready?
And audeze just released that classic model from LCD2, where they got rid off that fuzzor, and got back to original version.
Yes, the Audeze "Fazer" versions of LCD-2 and LCD-3 has rounded profiles on the magnets to avoid diffraction and the like and probably doesn't dampen at all. MrSpeakers has also done something similar on some of their models. Don't know about HiFiMan models.

Regarding the "Classic" version of LCD2, I don't think it's because the Fazer profile as such is doing something bad, but I know that the bass performance of the original was better than the Fazer version. I have a hard time believing that this was caused by the Fazer profile itself.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #292 of 321
It's almost as if some of the finest details and breathy nuances are lost with this mod.
I'm loving the edge taken off the treble, but the fine details do feel missing. Been listening all evening with these, and I'm convinced this is the trade-off.

Whether this is a big enough loss to reconsider and reverse the mod, I have yet to decide.
I do prefer smoothness and warmth generally, and so far the mod hasn't stopped me from enjoying my music.... in fact quite the opposite.
I don't think I've been able to listen to the HE-500 for quite this long without getting mildly irritated by the treble.

I realize it's an old thread/post:

I don't find that with the 500. By removing/minimizing reflections it enhances the clarity/space of instruments, and allows the very subtle qualities of the treble to come to the fore.

Dec 27, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #293 of 321
Upgrade complete, but... Didn't heard noticeable difference between mod and stock condition. Achieved more advantage from aftermarket copper cable. Anyway, every bit of lush is important for those, who wants to win the total war for smoothes :cool:

I find the fuzzor mod and pads (the right ones) to be distinctly more responsible for improvements in the HE-500 than cable.

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #294 of 321
I did something similar to the fuzzor mod with the old HE-400, though I used closed-cell foam for more high frequency absorption, it really did keep the treble from being as sharp.

Dec 29, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #295 of 321
Many (if not most) of those who have HE-6 have abandoned the fuzzor mod.

After putting leather pads with memory foam on, the tonality is close to perfect and the bass and punch is just reference class.

Recommended pads are Brainwavz HM5 angled real leather or protein leather - or ZMF Ori pads.

Did you come across #cskippy measurements and comments on MrSpeakers Ether C Angeled (post 20195 in the main HE-6 thread), he found those as having best balance, and flattest treble? I use them with the HE-500 to very good effect.

Not sure why anyone would remove the fuzzor mod - even if they conclude that the pads and/or cabling that they are using does most or almost all of what they want to get the sound to where they want it. Most people buying the 6 or 6se (new or used) are probably quite aware of the lore of these, including mods.

I've spent a lot of time improving listening rooms, and recently headphones and reflections have to be minimized with absorbtion and/or diffraction. Think about the distances. A large room might be 28' x 16' x 9', properly treated you can actually get fairly life like sound. In headphones its inches or portions of inches, the more audible the surfaces are, the more amusical the effects. You can try batting in closed back cans, removing backs, felting edges, fuzzor mods, ear distance to the can, angled pads, pad material. There are a host of problems with cans, and only a handful of solutions. Some manufacturers take note of these things, others less so,

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #296 of 321
Have anyone still measured about effect of this mod?
And why is this mod have not had any more followers, even that he400i are so cheap nowdays?

The fuzzor mod is very popular among users of the HE-500, still. The Code-Sex mod is considered better than the Fuzzor for the HE-6 (at much greater cost). I doubt freq response measurements would show much. However square waves, waterfall plots - maybe. Dunno.

My short take on the 500 is that its quite good in regular garb. I find that a lot of details from the mids up smear however. It's a lot putting a really good speaker in a room that is too live, details get mixed with reflections - messy. The Fuzzor quiets this down so you can focus on the music.

In addition I believe that the membrane is not that well time aligned from outside to the center. I didn't pick up on that until I used a pad that appeared to cover way too much of the membrane. I had no hopes for this pad to do a good job. The pad - Ether C Angeled turned out to be revelation. Very wide soundstage, deeply buried details pop out, overtones clearer. Id say it's bridged the details gap from the HE-500 to the HE-6 by over half way without losing the warmth.

Haven't looked inside a 400i in 3+ years, my 4** is not constructed in a way to take advantage of the fuzzor. The 4?? Series is a pretty wild ride in terms of freq response, ringing... I like it, but I don't think you can tame that fun sound into an audiophile sound.

Apr 11, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #297 of 321
The fuzzor mod is very popular among users of the HE-500, still. The Code-Sex mod is considered better than the Fuzzor for the HE-6 (at much greater cost). I doubt freq response measurements would show much. However square waves, waterfall plots - maybe. Dunno.

My short take on the 500 is that its quite good in regular garb. I find that a lot of details from the mids up smear however. It's a lot putting a really good speaker in a room that is too live, details get mixed with reflections - messy. The Fuzzor quiets this down so you can focus on the music.

In addition I believe that the membrane is not that well time aligned from outside to the center. I didn't pick up on that until I used a pad that appeared to cover way too much of the membrane. I had no hopes for this pad to do a good job. The pad - Ether C Angeled turned out to be revelation. Very wide soundstage, deeply buried details pop out, overtones clearer. Id say it's bridged the details gap from the HE-500 to the HE-6 by over half way without losing the warmth.

Haven't looked inside a 400i in 3+ years, my 4** is not constructed in a way to take advantage of the fuzzor. The 4?? Series is a pretty wild ride in terms of freq response, ringing... I like it, but I don't think you can tame that fun sound into an audiophile sound.
@bagwell359 Is there a video instruction or pics on how to apply the Fuzzor and Dynamat mod to HE-500, mate?

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #298 of 321
@bagwell359 Is there a video instruction or pics on how to apply the Fuzzor and Dynamat mod to HE-500, mate?
Hi! I've seen still pic instructions of the fuzzor. In the main 500 thread there are few - I'd guess around 2012-14. In brief its use felt with a sticky back, cut it a bit narrower than the stator (ear facing under the pads), and also a bit shorter then the stator in question. .1 inch shorter for the edges, and .2 for the ends. if the felt is very tall (more than a 1/4") you may need to shave it down to 1/4". Make sure the glue is holding on each piece before you close up. Get ready for a lot more clarity and a lot less IM fog/brightness. More clarity - dump the screens, I have big fingers and I push, grab, rip my cans more than most - no damage. And please ditch that junk stock cable - anybody still using it.

I put up a pic or two showing ithe fuzzor in the main 500 thread maybe in '19 or '18.

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #299 of 321
Hi! I've seen still pic instructions of the fuzzor. In the main 500 thread there are few - I'd guess around 2012-14. In brief its use felt with a sticky back, cut it a bit narrower than the stator (ear facing under the pads), and also a bit shorter then the stator in question. .1 inch shorter for the edges, and .2 for the ends. if the felt is very tall (more than a 1/4") you may need to shave it down to 1/4". Make sure the glue is holding on each piece before you close up. Get ready for a lot more clarity and a lot less IM fog/brightness. More clarity - dump the screens, I have big fingers and I push, grab, rip my cans more than most - no damage. And please ditch that junk stock cable - anybody still using it.

I put up a pic or two showing ithe fuzzor in the main 500 thread maybe in '19 or '18.
Thanks mate. I burnt the stock cable. I always had my SMC balanced cable.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #300 of 321
Anyone still has the schematics for the shape to cut after? I’m just doing the outside to highlight the gold tracers of the diaphragm since I like the original sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back