= Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification)
Dec 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #122 of 321
But has anyone actually tried Dynamat?

I think you just volunteered to test and report back 
popcorn.gif

But Dynamat is foam right?  Composition could make all the difference but see Dragon's experience below.

I have done my 3rd iteration of this mod so far, the first two were with Silverstone sound damping foam left over from a T50rp mod. I can tell you for sure that the thickness of the material makes all the difference between getting the signature natural sounding treble of the HE 500 and taming it too much. Best thing to reduce the thickness of foam, i have found, is to use fiskars scissors. It is sharp enough to cut the pieces precisely also; i can cut to less that half a millimeter with this pair of scissors.

My 3rd time around i stopped being lazy and found a Michael's near my house and got the stiffened felt jerg mentioned and my trebles are back to how they should sound out of the HE 500 without the "chaos" in the music that i feel the stock HE 500 has. I could not get the foams thin enough without ruining the adhesive side with the scissors, and it seemed they absorb too much of high frequency, so felt is definitely the way to go.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #123 of 321
I think I'll be doing this mod this evening. Quick question: with using something like Dynamat instead of felt effective this modification one way or the other?

Oh goodness no! Dynamat is hardcore overkill and will make a huge mess! The felt is all you need.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #125 of 321

Seriously there is no skill required other than patience and ability to measure :D   And it's no stress - you're just sticking adhesive felt on to a metal guard. Screw up a strip? Just peel it off and cut another.  Just skip the double shot Latte before starting ....

I'm a very hand's on person, so I doubt it'll be as difficult as I'm encouraging myself to think it is. Probably the hardest part will be actually finding the felt and a good knife to cut it.
Then I'll be off to find some material for the guard mesh on the outside, and that'll probably be more difficult.

This felt worked like a charm: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018N5W2Y

And get an Xacto knife with a nice, fresh blade to do it. It will be 1,000 x easier than any other option. You can get a good one for $5-$10.

Dec 29, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #126 of 321
would this felt be suitable?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008A5OTO0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=EH33DLJT0M0Z&coliid=I1ZV7M0RC0L3T5

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #128 of 321
Jan 2, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #133 of 321
Just finished applying the felt; got some red 1mm stiff adhesive variety from Amazon. Thank you for the guide; been happy with the results so far; tones things down a bit on the high end without the giant pie wedge of doom, cotton, or original grille...

Offset tweezers were a godsend for my fat useless sausages...

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #135 of 321
  Just finished applying the felt; got some red 1mm stiff adhesive variety from Amazon. Thank you for the guide; been happy with the results so far; tones things down a bit on the high end without the giant pie wedge of doom, cotton, or original grille...

Offset tweezers were a godsend for my fat useless sausages...

You got lucky. Whoever the tech was that assembled my set used a prodigious amount of glue where the cross bar is attached at sides so felt didn't fit quite so neatly.  I probably could have dremmeled it clean but didn't think the difference was worth having to mask the driver from dust ...

How's the red felt look with grills? 
biggrin.gif

FYI - for anyone yet to do mod - note that the plastic outer ring comes off with 4? screws and IMHO made it a lot easier to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back