HiFace, sensitive information
Sep 1, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #241 of 425

Quote:
I'm with Sleepy Dan on this.

At this point, unless someone is able to go with M2Tech with some hard facts, it's all subjective. It would be all to easy for them to reject all such subjective tests.

The point is: will and have M2Tech admitted to there being a SQ difference between clocks.

If so, it should be well within the rights of the consumer with the small clock to ask for the product as originally designed.

There obviously isn't a clear way to telling (externally) whether one has a version large or small clock. Perhaps all this requires is consumers writing in to ask M2Tech if they can get their Hiface replaced with one with a large clock.

Has anyone actually tried this?

Yes I tried and was told "you opened the unit,  your warranty is voided".   Then I was given the BS that the clocks are identical,  anyone with a brain can see the clocks are different.  No two digital oscillators are the same,  do you see anyone upgrading their CDP with a pissant no-name clock like this ?  I talked to an MEC rep directly who was familiar with the substiution,  and they told me that their clock is superior as far as ppm, phase, longevity, psrr,  wish I had a pen to write it all down.  They also said that their clock is used in many high end audio gear.  For $175 M2Tech owes its customers better.

The pissant clock is what you find in chinese Ipods ...

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #242 of 425

Quote:
And it's up to M2Tech to decide on the standards they require for a credible test.

Quote:
At this point, unless someone is able to go with M2Tech with some hard facts, it's all subjective. It would be all to easy for them to reject all such subjective tests.

If so, it should be well within the rights of the consumer with the small clock to ask for the product as originally designed.

Quote:
Yes I tried and was told "you opened the unit,  your warranty is voided".....  

......a pissant no-name clock <

gotta love that word  
The pissant clock is what you find in chinese Ipods ...

I contacted Tweak Geek and they said that M2Tech is replacing anybody's hiFace, that has not been opened, for new MEC clocked and firmwared HiFace  and that even if someone thinks they have a HiFace with a small clock that they can exchange it. 

I sent mine back to Tweak Geek, FedEx insured, w/ tracking #.

USG

edit to add space between Hiface and and

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #243 of 425

Quote:

I contacted Tweak Geek and they said that M2Tech is replacing anybody's hiFace, that has not been opened, for new MEC clocked and firmwared HiFace and that even if someone thinks they have a HiFace with a small clock that they can exchange it. 

I sent mine back to Tweak Geek, FedEx insured, w/ tracking #.

USG

If this is not a joke, who should we contact to get this replaced? M2Tech? The local distributor? Or the company we got it from?

Regal, maybe you can seal it back and send it back.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #244 of 425

Quote:
If this is not a joke, who should we contact to get this replaced? M2Tech? The local distributor? Or the company we got it from?

No joke, but I haven't received a replacement yet, so I don't know what they will be sending.

Where did you buy yours?

USG

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #245 of 425

Quote:
No joke, but I haven't received a replacement yet, so I don't know what they will be sending.

Where did you buy yours?

USG

Ebay. Emporiumhifi in the UK. Will see if they know about replacement.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #246 of 425
Well, if this is finally confirmed and that M2Tech is making this move, this is all good for customers and for them. It is in their best interest to stop this noise going on and to avoid critical reviews like the one from Chris Connaker, because they do not reflect IMO the actual performance of the product.

I guess it also put an end to the heated debate, and believe me I am glad it does. Now, users who are able to listen for differences with the SoX resampler tests can contact M2Tech and ask for replacements. Those who experience listener fatigue with the Hiface, or bright sound should really perform this test, especially if they didn't experience it in their system - or at least not to that extent - with other transports.

Differences with the SoX resampler are indeed subtle when tested with one Hiface unit, but nonetheless present and should be noticeable. Difference between a small clock unit and large clock unit playback at 44.1 are very relevant though, and there I do agree with Regal.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #247 of 425

Quote:

Yea a little superglue and 3000 grit paper would make it as new again. 

Glad TweekGeek was able to strong arm them,  they are a good distributor. 

I think this thread has done a noble thing,  we all owe a big thankyou to Shamu.

Feel bad for Jkeny customers,  but I'm sure he will be back here to derail the thread and confuse everyone again.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #249 of 425

Quote:
Yes I tried and was told "you opened the unit,  your warranty is voided".

Hopefully you can work this out, otherwise you will have "taken one for the team"

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #250 of 425

Quote:
Glad TweekGeek was able to strong arm them,  they are a good distributor. 

I think this thread has done a noble thing,  we all owe a big thankyou to Shamu.

Unfortunately, it's not over till it's over.....  I think we'll have to see what they exchange it for. 

Now that jkeny has offered to provide new cases (thank you John), maybe a few guys will open up the exchanged units up and post pics of what's inside.

Another nagging question is why they're insisting on only exchanging unopened units?

The total production for that time period must be in the thousands.... 

USG

BTW, did you guys notice the pic that accompanied the CA review?

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #251 of 425

Quote:

Now that jkeny has offered to provide new cases (thank you John), maybe a few guys will open up the exchanged units up and post pics of what's inside.

Another nagging question is why they're insisting on only exchanging unopened units?

The total production for that time period must be in the thousands.... 

USG

Yes, I'm happy to supply cases to a small number of guys (not thousands :)) but there is probably really no need to open up your case - you can just send it back to M2tech, if I understand the message above correctly. 

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #252 of 425

Quote:
Yes, I'm happy to supply cases to a small number of guys (not thousands :)) but there is probably really no need to open up your case - you can just send it back to M2tech, if I understand the message above correctly. 

I was referring to what's inside the units we receive back after the exchange........

(I'm sure only a small number of people will open them up to verify that they got two large clocks)

USG

Sep 3, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #255 of 425

Quote:
Is M2Tech really swapping the old for new HiFace? Where is the address to send it to? Who's paying for the return shipment?

No, they are not swapping "the old for new HiFace".  If indeed this goes through, they will replace only the units with either both or one small clock with a new unit containing the original MEC oscillators.  If yours already has the "big clocks" then you're good.

As far as I can tell there is no "official" mention of this exchange either on M2Tech's site or TweekGeek, but they might be working on the details as we speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back