HiFace, sensitive information
Sep 9, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #272 of 425
You can verify it with your local vendor, but it seems that all new units have the bigger clocks now.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #273 of 425

Quote:
You can verify it with your local vendor, but it seems that all new units have the bigger clocks now.

[size=medium]
But how do you verify it really without voiding the warranty? It seems that there could still be unsold NOS units circulating.
[/size]

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #274 of 425
What grokit said.

If they ever release the linux driver for this thing, I will be in the market for one. Hopefully by then my chances of getting an old unit will diminish greatly... but how would I know?? heh

Btw, on the subject of a linux driver, M2Tech did eventually respond to my inquiry:

Quote:
[size=x-small]Hello Adam,[/size]

[size=x-small]the development of the Linux driver is having a slow-down due to some problems. We can't say when it will be available, sorry...[/size]

[size=x-small]Best regards,[/size]

[size=x-small]Marco Manunta
M2Tech Snc di Manunta & Marino
Via Giuntini, 63
I-56023 Navacchio di Cascina (PI)
Italy
www.m2tech.biz
[/size]

Sep 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #276 of 425

Quote:

But how do you verify it really without voiding the warranty? It seems that there could still be unsold NOS units circulating.

It seems that vendors are accepting returns now, which to me implies they've pulled the old stock off the shelves.  It makes no sense they would sell you a unit only to exchange it a few days later, having to pay for shipping, deal with unhappy customers, etc.  If you ask them they will tell you, and if you don't get a good feeling about a particular vendor then try another one with a good reputation...

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #278 of 425

Quote:
Thanks a lot USG for your efforts and for taking all this issue seriously. Your initial impressions tend to confirm indeed that both version of the Hiface do sound as different as suggested. Let us know your final word.

Has anybody else contacted their Hiface distributors or M2Tech directly to ask for an exchange yet ?

You were absolutely correct in saying that the two clocks do not sound the same and that the 44.1 to 48 test doesn't show nearly as great a difference as replacing the small 44.1 clock did.

Quote:

m2tech said that even if you think you might have a small clock you can exchange it.

USG

Sep 10, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #279 of 425

Quote:
You were absolutely correct in saying that the two clocks do not sound the same and that the 44.1 to 48 test doesn't show nearly as great a difference as replacing the small 44.1 clock did.

I am a bit confused:
You feed the small clock a 44.1 signal, then resample the same signal to 48 where the big clock handles it and there isn't a "great difference".  Two signals, handled by two different clocks, not a great difference - according to the statement above.   But then you swap the small clock for a big one and suddenly it stands out.  I don't mean this in a confrontational way, it's just confusing because all of a sudden the 44.1 to 48 test has been deemed inaccurate.

Sep 10, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #280 of 425

Precisely. When upsampling 44.1Hz material to 48Hz, the SoX degrades the sound, which partially offset the improvement achieved thanks to the big 48Hz clock handling the signal if your unit has a small 44.1 clock. If you have 2 large clocks in your unit, the only difference between the original 44.1Hz file and upsampled 48Hz file during playback should come from the degradation of sound introduced by the SoX resampler. So the differences with the SoX test are rather difficult to spot, and will be much more system dependant. I still can hear them in my system for example.

On the other side, directly A/B comparing a small 44.1Hz clock Hiface unit with a large 44.1Hz clock Hiface unit with 44.1 material will reveal significant differences in any system I am convinced, as stated by USG.

Hope it makes sense to you now.

Quote:
I am a bit confused:
You feed the small clock a 44.1 signal, then resample the same signal to 48 where the big clock handles it and there isn't a "great difference".  Two signals, handled by two different clocks, not a great difference - according to the statement above.   But then you swap the small clock for a big one and suddenly it stands out.  I don't mean this in a confrontational way, it's just confusing because all of a sudden the 44.1 to 48 test has been deemed inaccurate.

Sep 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #282 of 425

Quote:

Precisely. When upsampling 44.1Hz material to 48Hz, the SoX degrades the sound, which partially offset the improvement achieved thanks to the big 48Hz clock handling the signal if your unit has a small 44.1 clock. If you have 2 large clocks in your unit, the only difference between the original 44.1Hz file and upsampled 48Hz file during playback should come from the degradation of sound introduced by the SoX resampler. So the differences with the SoX test are rather difficult to spot, and will be much more system dependant. I still can hear them in my system for example.

On the other side, directly A/B comparing a small 44.1Hz clock Hiface unit with a large 44.1Hz clock Hiface unit with 44.1 material will reveal significant differences in any system I am convinced, as stated by USG.

Hope it makes sense to you now.

Actually, not really.

From sox's FAQ: 

The deemph effect did once have a bug that affected stereo imaging—but this was fixed in SoX version 12.18.2 released in 2006.
The current deemph effect works fine and is accurate to 0.06dB (up to 20kHz)—much more accurate than analogue implementations in CD players;

Please see this - it is scientific proof to support the above statement and not hearsay: 

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/1295ar/index2.html

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #284 of 425

Actually, I would have said rather somewhere between March and July... Maybe JKeny can sneak in and confirm.

Quote:
I think (and I'm not  100% sure) that it is from about Mid-December 2009 to March 2010. I think JKeny might have a more accurate estimate.....

Thanks USG, but I believe my message was clear enough for those who want to listen.

Quote:
Hi xdanny,

I think the essence of what Shamu144 posted was that there is a big difference between the small 44.1 clock and the large 44.1 clock.

USG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back