Hidizs AP60
Oct 20, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #151 of 773
  Hi Fumanshu

Pls Pm me your order number on Penon Audio, There is a firmware problem with 0.01 beta.
and offe rme your delivery address, I will ask Penon Audio to send you a new AP60 with update firmware.

Sorry to bring you some trouble.

Thanks

Hi! I've already send to you an email and you already reply to me so all is good! Thanks a lot for your excellent sevices!!

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #156 of 773

how is the bluetooth on this connected to headphones etc?

Great BT quality - with headphones that support aptX, the wireless stream quality is just as good as with the BlackBerry Q10 streaming music via aptX (and the BB has got a really good BT chip and wireless sound quality).

I would also mainly recommend to use the AP60 with Bluetooth headphones or as a digital source (as soon as the DAC gets enabled through a firmware update), as the sound quality out of the headphone port is not that great (moderate roll-off towards the sub-bass, not so quiet noise floor with really sensitive IEMs regarding the low power output, something odd about the treble). Yeah, I think the AP60 would work best as a pure transport device but not so well for standalone use (headphones directly connected to its output) as the SQ over the headphone output is only average at best imho.

Anyway, here are some pro and contra impressions I sent to another user who asked me via PM:

First the bad things: 

1. It has got a permanent sub-bass roll-off of 4 dB (noticeable if you listen to music that extends really low).
  2. Given that its headphone output is quite weak on power, the amount of hiss with sensitive IEMs is rather high.
  3. The digital output doesn't work yet (but they said they will enable it soon-ish).
  4. In my opinion, the navigation with the virtual touch buttons is really stupid at times (normal physical buttons would have been better).
  5. Even though I am more on the objective side and metrologically volume-matching devices when comparing them, there is something about the treble (sounds "flat" and lacks some details).

But the good things are:

1. Great scan speed and it takes 200 GB micro SD cards without any issues.
  2. The UI is well structured and response speed is excellent - nothing feels laggy or buggy.
  3. The volume control is very fine-grained and one can listen to music at really low volume levels.
  4. The output impedance (between 1 and 1.5 Ohms) is reasonably low.
  5. The Bluetooth quality is really good.

Thank you for your quick impressions chris. The sub-bass roll off and hiss is worrisome 
frown.gif

Please let us know if these impression evolve/change.

PS: Which IEM did you use with the AP60. And which BT device do you use?

Oct 22, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #157 of 773

Thank you for your quick impressions chris. The sub-bass roll off and hiss is worrisome 
frown.gif

Please let us know if these impression evolve/change.

PS: Which IEM did you use with the AP60. And which BT device do you use?

It's not that it is an extreme hiss monster but given that it doesn't have a powerful headphone output, there is just too much hiss with sensitive IEMs (most multi-BA in-ears and some very sensitive dynamic in-ears like the Ostry KC06A).

For BT connection, I used the MEE Air-Fi Matrix² and Mass Fidelity Relay DAC. Clean, clear and transparent stream with both.

Honestly I would only recommend the AP60 as a pure source device for Bluetooth streamning and USB DAC in- and output (as soon as it gets enabled with the next firmware) but not for directly driving headphones/in-ears with it (some permanent roll-off in the bass, something sounding somewhat strange in the treble and hiss despite the not-so-powerful output. Also the navigation with the touch buttons is a love it or hate it scenario, which is sad as the UI itself is well structured and super responsive).

Oct 22, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #158 of 773
I just got the 0.05beta firmware and installed it.

Some good things have come with it: now the left- and right buttons finally work in the main menu (so the D-pad finally works as up/down/left/right D-pad) and on the playing screen, the left and right buttons finally work as skip buttons which is much more logical than the up and down buttons. And the AP60 can now be used as a USB DAC on a Windows PC (after a manual driver installation) or with Android devices. It still doesn't output a digital signal though and doesn't work with the Mojo yet.

The USB DAC output is still not activated (my Mojo's power ball lights up but it doesn't play any sound). However there are now USB drivers for Windows and after installing them, the AP60 now accepts a DAC signal input (also works with my Nexus 7 tablet). All they have to do now is to enable the USB DAC output to use it with external DACs such as the Mojo.

But @Hidizs Hk why was the amount of volume steps lowered from 120 to 80? I mean it is still quite fine-grained, but with 120 it was even more fine-grained and better. In my opinion, it should be changed back to 120. Pretty please with a cherry on top.
And please also activate the USB DAC output. =)

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #159 of 773
Tried the AP-60 alongside the new X1. Instantly fell in love with the AP-60! It sounds more musical, tho to Fiio's credit, the new X1 is miles better than the old.

My very subjective 4th hour impressions: (I'm the strange few who tests equipments with a HD-25ii, so take it with a pinch of salt if you may)

The Bad:
-its an unfinished product with a beta firmware. Hidizs might be a little bit greedy here. Those looking for a small player for the workout or gym will be sorely disappointed.
-tiny touch controls, even by my Asian finger standards. I tend to forward a song when all I want is to go back to main menu
-I can detect some hiss (with the XBA-100 and ATH-E50). Doesn't hurt, but it's there
-headphone out is on the weaker side. The HD25 aluminum sounds tinny while my regular HD25 sounded fine. Strange, I know...

The good:
-it's an unfinished product! Fingers crossed for the USB out function. You can plug this little sucker to a mojo or micro idsd. That's cool
-plays DsD for the price and size
-small, really small
-OTG
-it has clarity yet sounds fun
-the Bluetooth seems responsive and stable with my cheap speakers (and +1 for aptx)

In a nutshell, I love this thing. But it's not for anyone who expects out of the box performance and functionality. Sorry for the long winded 'review'. Happy listening!

Oct 23, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #160 of 773
Would the bluetooth in this work with my car?  My new axon 7 has connectivity issues ( my old Sony didn't though ) and I'm looking for a player that I can use in my car for audio.  Anybody know this or can you give me some other suggestions?

Oct 24, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #164 of 773
hi
i ve tried to update firmware  / no succees    from  0.04 to  0.05beta     the screen is locked on HIDIZS LOGO and no reboot after 5minutes

.upt file is on root  /  stored on sd cart FAT32 formated on the player ??  do you have the same updating bug like FW0.01???
thanks

Oct 24, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #165 of 773
Damn so many firmware problems on this player. I find there is kind of no escuse to launch a player in this state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back