Hidizs AP100 (DAP) Support Team - Now on Head-fi!
Feb 13, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #527 of 749
Thought I share this here in this thread...

I used the pack tools for the Fiio firmware with the Hidizs firmware and could then edit the themes. Repacked it and it worked!

I changed the font which brought the total size down from ca. 30 MB to ca. 10 MB. At least for English all characters show up properly... not sure about other languages.

I also changed the launcher screens:

Here is firmware 071 with the changed themes (and updated English): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/izr1x46j4wxixig/AADU4fVc7wB3k7tDxB_c3Rjpa?dl=0
The firmware is much smaller (almost 20 MB less) because I replaced the fonts msyh.ttf and GoetheGothicBold.ttf with this one (regular and bold respectively): https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Signika

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #529 of 749
It's always on, at least from what I can see. There is no 'default' in this regard. One might say the first level 16bit 44.1 is the 'off', point is each mode brings something new and different to the table, just stay with the mode that you feel you like the most.

I truly believe those not using the EQ much on the AP100 are missing out. It's akin to buying a Cowon and not using BBE/Jet Effects!

Sure, many many songs don't benefit from a deviance of Flat, but many songs do benefit in one way or another. Be it a slight reduction in treble or bass, or a slight boost in bass, it's all possible from a one touch button! What other DAP can do that?

Feb 16, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #530 of 749
  It's always on, at least from what I can see. There is no 'default' in this regard. One might say the first level 16bit 44.1 is the 'off', point is each mode brings something new and different to the table, just stay with the mode that you feel you like the most.

I truly believe those not using the EQ much on the AP100 are missing out. It's akin to buying a Cowon and not using BBE/Jet Effects!

Sure, many many songs don't benefit from a deviance of Flat, but many songs do benefit in one way or another. Be it a slight reduction in treble or bass, or a slight boost in bass, it's all possible from a one touch button! What other DAP can do that?

Yeah, I thought it was always on..I'm still waiting for my new AP100 to arrive. I sold the on I had last year and regretted it so I decided to get a new one. I do agree that the different settings are great and really enhance the sound but not to the point where it sounds over enhanced. I forget which setting I used to use the most...maybe the one after 16/44.1 which was 16/96 maybe?

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #533 of 749
SRC can be turned off. And the first setting is 24bit 88.2kHz.

Ah yes, I just noticed that the SRC font in the NPS changes colour, my 'theme' is green so when I switch from 16bit 44.1kHz to 24bit 88.2kHz it switches from white to being highlighted green. So MUKe is right, off is 16bit 44.1kHz and the first level of being 'on' is 24bit 88.2kHz. I never noticed the change in font colour before so I assumed the first level was 16bit 44.1kHz.

I never really got a proper explanation of what it does, or whether yer 'supposed' to try and match the SRC level with file level (ie bits etc). Personally I leave mine on 24bit 176kHz as I like what that sound does to my 16bit 44.1khz 320kbps mp3 files.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #534 of 749
As far as I know:

I'm the first setting the player uses 16/44khz or whatever other resolution your files natively has. The other settings up sample the signal before sending it to the DAC - apparently some DAC chips process the up sampled signal slightly different - hence you might hear small differences.

cheers.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #535 of 749
As far as I know:

I'm the first setting the player uses 16/44khz or whatever other resolution your files natively has. The other settings up sample the signal before sending it to the DAC - apparently some DAC chips process the up sampled signal slightly different - hence you might hear small differences.

cheers.

I wouldn't say they're small differences, some are quite pronounced. Enhanced (even boomy) bass and wider soundstages are easy to pick up.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #536 of 749
I wouldn't say they're small differences, some are quite pronounced. Enhanced (even boomy) bass and wider soundstages are easy to pick up.

I am not doubting what you hear, but I don't hear these differences. Nor should they be that big, since it's just upsampling. So I wonder what is going on in the AP100.....

Cheers

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #537 of 749

Running V1.31075 FW - mine came from the factory with V1.31073. Maybe that is one reason why we have such different experiences, since I understand you run a bit older firmware.

Cheers.

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #538 of 749
I am not doubting what you hear, but I don't hear these differences. Nor should they be that big, since it's just upsampling. So I wonder what is going on in the AP100.....

Cheers

Running V1.31075 FW - mine came from the factory with V1.31073. Maybe that is one reason why we have such different experiences, since I understand you run a bit older firmware.

Cheers.

I do, I'm running 0.70.

I guess there are many factors to consider when looking at the difference in sound signatures from one user to the next. Headphone of choice, user volume, EQ applied (or not), source file etc. It's just what I hear, the last SRC setting seems to carry the nicest soundstage yet too bassy for me.

Feb 17, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #539 of 749
I found the company profile for Hidizs...only 6-10 employees..no wonder they can't answer emails promptly.

http://www.hktdc.com/manufacturers-suppliers/Hidizs-Technology-Company-Limited/en/1X08YNV8/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back