Hidizs AP100 (DAP) Support Team - Now on Head-fi!
Nov 3, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #481 of 749
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/721487/review-of-hidizs-ap100-portable-hifi-music-player/840

last few posts

I don't want to do a "trick" for listening like I want, I want to really use my id3 tag database (Artist, Album, Genre etc) !
I spend a lot of time for doing what and I want my DAP be able to read ALL of them, not just 5.800 songs.... 
mad.gif

frown.gif

rolleyes.gif

confused_face(1).gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #482 of 749

I don't want to do a "trick" for listening like I want, I want to really use my id3 tag database (Artist, Album, Genre etc) !
I spend a lot of time for doing what and I want my DAP be able to read ALL of them, not just 5.800 songs.... 
mad.gif

frown.gif

rolleyes.gif

confused_face(1).gif

I do sympathize. For me things like this actually don't come as a surprise anymore, countless DAPs have been capped at one point or not for reading files. Cowon, Fiio and now AP100 also.

At least with the AP100 you can actually have all your music on your player, you just need to search for it a different way that using its defunct id3 tag browser.

Can't you reorganise your music folders on your sd card better to workaround this issue?

Some suggestions;

- Split the SD card up into 3-4 sections A-J, K-T, U-Z etc (for Artists), and then within each Artist folder are the Album folders (and then of course tracks).
- One step further, start off with Genres>Artists>Albums?
- Or if you have a ridiculously high storage card (such as a 256-128gb card) and only half of that with actual songs, then you could duplicate; have two main folders on yer card one Artists and one Albums, browse via either method that suits.

I didn't even like the way the AP100 does id3 tag browsing, it goes to Artist and then inside are all the tracks just jumbled together from whatever album there is, what kind of browsing is that!? :|

I believe the solution to your problem exists with being creative with playlists and your sd card management/folder structure. I so far am a happy camper and have bypassed any id3 tag browsing on the AP100 entirely (despite actually being a tagged freak myself!).

No DAP is perfect, but the EQ button, EIGHT custom EQ slots,sound quality, tactile control are more than enough to make up for a ****ty id3 tag database.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #483 of 749

I didn't even like the way the AP100 does id3 tag browsing, it goes to Artist and then inside are all the tracks just jumbled together from whatever album there is, what kind of browsing is that!? :|

Sometime, I like to play all the files of an Artist (so : all his albums in shuffle), or all the files of a particular Genre (ex : all "electronic" music). If I want to play an album : I go to "Album tag", it's simple.
It is just my way to listen to music, and just browsing by tags allow me to do it in simple way...  
wink.gif

Read the topic before, in an older post : @Hidizs promise me that it is not the case and said what we can browse more than 5.800 tags and it's just a "Micro-SD card format problem"... Sorry, but I don't like lie !   
confused_face_2.gif

PS : I really love my AP100 for all the rest, no other problem with my DAP. 
dt880smile.png

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #484 of 749

Sometime, I like to play all the files of an Artist (so : all his albums in shuffle), or all the files of a particular Genre (ex : all "electronic" music). If I want to play an album : I go to "Album tag", it's simple.
It is just my way to listen to music, and just browsing by tags allow me to do it in simple way...  
wink.gif

Read the topic before, in an older post : @Hidizs promise me that it is not the case and said what we can browse more than 5.800 tags and it's just a "Micro-SD card format problem"... Sorry, but I don't like lie !   
confused_face_2.gif

PS : I really love my AP100 for all the rest, no other problem with my DAP. 
dt880smile.png

This actually rings a bell, didn't someone get around it other than using Folder browser (and it was a format thing)?

Either way, you can quite easily get a playlist for a specific Genre for shuffle, would take 1min to do, then it's always there to use whenever you like. Did you watch my video in the aforementioned post, I show how using winamp I can build playlists quite easily, nothing stopping you from doing a a few Genre playlists. So really that's not even a complaint, there is a simple workaround for that issue.

As for finding a particular Artist and Shuffling all their tracks from all their albums, that's a little trickier. But even then it can be done with a little patience, spend 10mins each night making a few playlists of artists, voila, done in a week or so.

Honest, i'm not trying to defend the AP100, it's id3tag cap is annoying, I'm just trying to help you overcome the annoyances so it becomes fully usuable to you.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #485 of 749
obviously all these makers (FiiO, Shanling, HiDisz, Questyle) have the same source for their UI as 
they all have a library cap at 5,800 Songs plus other similarities.

Why would somebody have two SD slots for 400GB of storage and then limit the library to 5,800 Songs?
I am not a big friend of folder browsing on DAPs.

And why the **** is it so difficult to implement sorting by "album artist"??

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #486 of 749

Either way, you can quite easily get a playlist for a specific Genre for shuffle, would take 1min to do, then it's always there to use whenever you like. Did you watch my video in the aforementioned post, I show how using winamp I can build playlists quite easily, nothing stopping you from doing a a few Genre playlists. So really that's not even a complaint, there is a simple workaround for that issue.

As for finding a particular Artist and Shuffling all their tracks from all their albums, that's a little trickier. But even then it can be done with a little patience, spend 10mins each night making a few playlists of artists, voila, done in a week or so.

Honest, i'm not trying to defend the AP100, it's id3tag cap is annoying, I'm just trying to help you overcome the annoyances so it becomes fully usuable to you.

It's really sympathetic to you to do this. Yes, it can help people, no doubt ! But not me 
tongue.gif
 I don't want to do tricks in my Mac every time I add an album... No thanks, I do not want to think to add it to the corresponding "Artist playlist", the corresponding "Genre playlist", corresponding "shuffle all" playlist, corresponding "Xxx playlist".... Just want to use it in simple way.

But yes : thanks you to try helping me, but we want @Hidizs to do the job for updating the FW in order to respect people who have a 64/128 Go microSD card with more than 6.400 files tagged. Nothing more. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #487 of 749
  obviously all these makers (FiiO, Shanling, HiDisz, Questyle) have the same source for their UI as 
they all have a library cap at 5,800 Songs plus other similarities.

Why would somebody have two SD slots for 400GB of storage and then limit the library to 5,800 Songs?
I am not a big friend of folder browsing on DAPs.

And why the **** is it so difficult to implement sorting by "album artist"??

DAPs with 2 card slots are hinting at mass storage I agree (2x16gb cards? lol), 1 card slot and I take it to meaning 32-64gb personally (which gets me 3000-6000 tracks @320kbp/s mp3 files, so for anything higher - that it's actually marketed at - would bring track numbers down further). Of course I too would like proper support for id3tag, I'm not defending, but it seems as tho we're constantly on the development of new tech such as microsd card storage and the things that support it are behind the times and struggling to catch up. When Fiio was in it's early stages of development they prolly were thinking 2x32gb cards (as 64gb were prolly really expensive), but months go by and voila 128gb are available, and people want to use them!

I agree about Album Artist, it's why I have not had high expectations from many DAP developers in regards to id3tag database implementation. The way I've interacted with my DAPs for awhile now is to hook it up to software in the morning (winamp/foobar), pick and choose my music for the day/week (which is far FAR better an experience than using any tiddly DAP screen with fiddly controls), I get filters i want, album art to help better browse and a quicker speed.
Save as a playlist and off I go. Honestly I think the majority of DAP owners out there are missing out on this method of approach. I use my AP100 to launch the playlist, adjust volume, skip a track here or there and press the EQ button once in awhile.

It's really sympathetic to you to do this. Yes, it can help people, no doubt ! But not me 
tongue.gif
 I don't want to do tricks in my Mac every time I add an album... No thanks, I do not want to think to add it to the corresponding "Artist playlist", the corresponding "Genre playlist", corresponding "shuffle all" playlist, corresponding "Xxx playlist".... Just want to use it in simple way.

But yes : thanks you to try helping me, but we want @Hidizs to do the job for updating the FW in order to respect people who have a 64/128 Go microSD card with more than 6.400 files tagged. Nothing more. 
biggrin.gif

It's maybe something they can't fix, who knows, they have done much to the DAP since it's release, so fingers crossed!

Only you can decide what is a deal breaker and what is not. When I short list my needs for a DAP m3u support is ranked very high. At one point the AP100 didn't support this, then it did later and that's when it went back on as a consideration. I have just never had that great an experience with id3 tag databases and file recognition from DAPs I have kinda taken it as a granted it would be done weird/bad.

If it's something you can't live with perhaps a rockboxed iBasso DX90 would be a suitable alternative? Better id3tag support, no file limit, I consider it a worthy opponent to the AP100 (tho here in Australia it's near TWICE the price of an AP100!).

Nov 3, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #488 of 749

DAPs with 2 card slots are hinting at mass storage I agree (2x16gb cards? lol), 1 card slot and I take it to meaning 32-64gb personally (which gets me 3000-6000 tracks @320kbp/s mp3 files, so for anything higher - that it's actually marketed at - would bring track numbers down further). Of course I too would like proper support for id3tag, I'm not defending, but it seems as tho we're constantly on the development of new tech such as microsd card storage and the things that support it are behind the times and struggling to catch up. When Fiio was in it's early stages of development they prolly were thinking 2x32gb cards (as 64gb were prolly really expensive), but months go by and voila 128gb are available, and people want to use them!

I believe for DAPs released in late 2015 makers could have been aware that there are things like 128/200GB MicroSD Cards or things like MicroSD to SD adapters where people plug in
512GB normal SD cards. So there is absolutely no excuse to release a DAP in 2015 wherein the library is limited to 5,800 songs.

Same like not implementing "abum artist". I heard things like "nobody uses that tag" and similar blabla. Not true. It is a standard tag which is used automatically from most music library softwares.

Actually it takes longer to make up these lame excuses for not fixing these things than it would take for a programmer to fix these things in the firmware. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #490 of 749

I have 6097 songs? I didn't hang 5800 song limit.

AP100, new generation
Fw: 073 beta 1
Card: SD to Microsd converter, 256 GB PNY C10-UHS1 SD, Ntfs file system

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #491 of 749
We talking about the limitation of recognizing the tags : we could have more than 5800 songs but when we go to scan it (for the tags), the scan stop when it arrive at 5800 scanned... Not you ? (and when you navigate by tags, the last artists aren't in the list because the songs are after the 5800 limit). 

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #492 of 749
No, I haven't got problem like yours. My dap can scan over 6000 songs and all artist are sits in play all and folder lists.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #494 of 749
  No, I haven't got problem like yours. My dap can scan over 6000 songs and all artist are sits in play all and folder lists.

In "play all" and "Folder list" : me too, no problem to to go and play songs... This is not that it does not work !

But when we go to the "tags list" : Artist, Albums and Genre. Did you have the latest album, in correspondence of your folder list ? (aka : Artist whis name in "X-Y-Z" or Album with name in "X-Y-Z" ??)

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #495 of 749
Guys,

just got my new AP100.

Is V1.31073Beta1 the latest Firmware currently available? My AP100 came shipped with this one.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back