HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #3,121 of 3,415
Dec 27, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #3,122 of 3,415
For example
bass:0.5
Mids: 0.6
Treble: 0
Gain: 6
I tended to find that increasing mids dynamics is more susceptible to causing a pumping sensation to the overall piece, and had since tried numerous hacks without much luck. If you don't find this to trouble you no worries!

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 27, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #3,123 of 3,415
@Joe Bloggs After opening my RS8, I had the exact same issue as @elementze. I suspect the cause of it is excessive heat. I noticed that there are thermal pads applied to certain chip.

20231225_210515.jpg

Are you able to check with Hiby if there are any danger of applying thermal pads to the entire PCB board using GPU thermal pads?
https://www.amazon.com.au/Iceberg-Thermal-DRIFTIce-80mm-1-5mm/dp/B08KWLMVR8
As far as I understand this problem that has fried a few components on your RS8 is a problem that was more likely to occur in certain early batches, and did not have anything to do with heatsinking (or lack thereof).

Obviously if your unit is damaged it needs to be sent in for repairs first before considering any improvement to heatsinking.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #3,124 of 3,415
As far as I understand this problem that has fried a few components on your RS8 is a problem that was more likely to occur in certain early batches, and did not have anything to do with heatsinking (or lack thereof).

Obviously if your unit is damaged it needs to be sent in for repairs first before considering any improvement to heatsinking.
I just worry about the day after the warranty expires. That's when my gear malfunctions tend to happen. Will Hiby still repair this kind of issue (even if they have to charge for it)? I'm an early adopter, should I be concerned (although it's working fine right now)?
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #3,125 of 3,415
I just worry about the day after the warranty expires. That's when my gear malfunctions tend to happen. Will Hiby still repair this kind of issue (even if they have to charge for it)? I'm an early adopter, should I be concerned (although it's working fine right now)?
-HK sends
oh we repair all kinds of stuff in or out of warranty and the out of warranty repair prices are quite reasonable. It was always getting the units to us that's the sore point for some users but I think you'll be fine from Hong Kong?

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #3,126 of 3,415
oh we repair all kinds of stuff in or out of warranty and the out of warranty repair prices are quite reasonable. It was always getting the units to us that's the sore point for some users but I think you'll be fine from Hong Kong?
Unfortunately, I live in California. "HK" is a nickname I was given when I was in the military. My boss had trouble remembering my last name. For him, "HK" was easier.
-HK sends

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #3,127 of 3,415
I tended to find that increasing mids dynamics is more susceptible to causing a pumping sensation to the overall piece, and had since tried numerous hacks without much luck. If you don't find this to trouble you no worries!
Ah, so your comment was soundwise, I was afraid it could somehow hurt the IEMs -)
It definitely doesn't sound as natural, and that can be a good feat to my ears as I mostly listen to electronic music.

Jan 9, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #3,128 of 3,415
I am considering a used RS8, but am very concerned about reliability. I've read through all 209 pages of this thread and it looks like at least 6-8 people experienced a hardware failure of some sort that required a replacement, or repair. I can't imagine there are more than about 25 people on this forum that own an RS8. That seems like a high failure rate. Am I crazy for considering a used RS8 out of warranty?

Jan 9, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #3,130 of 3,415
I am considering a used RS8, but am very concerned about reliability. I've read through all 209 pages of this thread and it looks like at least 6-8 people experienced a hardware failure of some sort that required a replacement, or repair. I can't imagine there are more than about 25 people on this forum that own an RS8. That seems like a high failure rate. Am I crazy for considering a used RS8 out of warranty?
I wouldn't get one out of warranty. Or maybe confirm if it's already been sent in for service, then it "should" be okay. Hiby will repair out of warranty, and the reputation is the cost is reasonable. But I don't know for sure. So maybe factor in a likely repair cycle in your negotiated price.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #3,131 of 3,415
I wouldn't get one out of warranty. Or maybe confirm if it's already been sent in for service, then it "should" be okay. Hiby will repair out of warranty, and the reputation is the cost is reasonable. But I don't know for sure. So maybe factor in a likely repair cycle in your negotiated price.

I was considering that possibility. I’m sure I could replace the battery myself if I can source one. The one in the classifieds I’m considering is just about a year old with not a lot of use on it, so warranty may have just expired. It hasn’t been sent in for any service. It was bought from Musicteck. I do like the early ones with the suitcase. The question is, do I feel lucky? :beyersmile:

I’d be interested in hearing anyone’s rs8 out of warranty repair story and costs involved. DM is fine.

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #3,133 of 3,415
I am thinking about trying out my RS8 with a desktop amp. I'm just a bit confused with the usb c to coaxial cable that is included.

I am aware of the CR08 dock as well as passing via LO options; I am just curious, if for example, I get a Topping A90D can I use the USB-c to coaxial via the left RCA input and get stereo sound? Are there any major pros or cons to doing this?

Jan 10, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #3,134 of 3,415
I am thinking about trying out my RS8 with a desktop amp. I'm just a bit confused with the usb c to coaxial cable that is included.

I am aware of the CR08 dock as well as passing via LO options; I am just curious, if for example, I get a Topping A90D can I use the USB-c to coaxial via the left RCA input and get stereo sound? Are there any major pros or cons to doing this?
The usb to coaxial cable is to let you connect the RS8 to an external DAC and use the RS8 as pure transport/audio player.

To connect to your headphone amp and use RS8 as DAC/transport, best use the LO 3.5mm or 4.4mm at the bottom, either with 3.5mm to RCA cable, or 4.4mm to XLR.

Jan 10, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #3,135 of 3,415
I was considering that possibility. I’m sure I could replace the battery myself if I can source one. The one in the classifieds I’m considering is just about a year old with not a lot of use on it, so warranty may have just expired. It hasn’t been sent in for any service. It was bought from Musicteck. I do like the early ones with the suitcase. The question is, do I feel lucky? :beyersmile:

I’d be interested in hearing anyone’s rs8 out of warranty repair story and costs involved. DM is fine.
Early R8 was coming with suitcase.
RS8 was never coming with suitcase, at least I am not aware if it. I have a pre-ordered one, no suitcase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back