HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jul 25, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #2,611 of 3,403
Hi guys

My Hiby RS8 is on the way and I'm very excited.

I've decided to move on from the AK SP3000 as I missed the open Android OS.

I have a pair of Meze Lirics and am wondering if the Hiby RS8 has any issues powering them as the SP3000 does struggle.
The Lirics should be easily driven

Jul 25, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #2,612 of 3,403
Hi guys

I have a pair of Meze Lirics and am wondering if the Hiby RS8 has any issues powering them as the SP3000 does struggle.
How the SP3k struggle? Can you explain?

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #2,614 of 3,403
Hey people, does any of you have an explanation for something that is happening in HiBy music on my RS8?

In the artist view some covers are missing (they shouldn’t ) but then the album view shows the correct cover… 🤨
IMG_5622.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5623.jpeg
    IMG_5623.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 26, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #2,615 of 3,403
I would be very much obliged if someone could help me please.I am having great difficulty in setting player up.There appears to be a paucity of full instructions available online.I have managed to access my Qobuz account successfully.As I have a full Apple system I have had to use Android File Transfer which I have used successfully before.I did a trial transfer of of one album to Music folder on RS8 where it appears.I registered for Hiby Music App did a scan but nothing appeared. I think this is where I went wrong.My understanding was that Hiby Music App was pre installed.Basically if this is the case I would appreciate if someone could give me chapter and verse on accessing Hiby Music App correctly.Thanks in advance.

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #2,616 of 3,403
nothing appeared
I don’t have a player at hand right now and I can’t say exactly what needs to be done

but first, make sure that you have specified the correct path for scanning music, perhaps there is only one folder in which there is nothing

here is the manual

Attachments

• R android manual.docx
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 26, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #2,618 of 3,403
Hi guys

No issues. The Liric together with the RS8 gives a seductive bass presentation.

Jul 27, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #2,619 of 3,403
These may sound like stupid questions coming form a guy who's owned the RS8 for quite a while now. But I will admit I had not been playing around with any of the filters until the V2 came out, so now I have them and would like to, but I am confused about two things:

1) With NOS set to "On" on the main audio settings page, does that bypass the filters? Are they only active with main NOS switch off?

2) Which, if any, of the settings carry over when the RS8 is being used in USB DAC mode?

Thank you~

Jul 27, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #2,620 of 3,403
With NOS set to "On" on the main audio settings page, does that bypass the filters? Are they only active with main NOS switch off?
I recommend you to read the article about these settings

in short, with NOS enabled, some features (Atmosphere Enhanced, Additional Harmonics) will work only with selected Darwin FIR from 9 to 11. In all other cases, when NOS is enabled, no filters are activated

Jul 27, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #2,621 of 3,403
I have read the dedicated thread now. Thank you

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #2,622 of 3,403
This might sound like a silly question coming from the HiBy rep, but...

Can anyone tell me about the MasterMind or SimCodec system plugin?

This only seem to have appeared for people on the RS8, and I don't own it and headquarters is now again half a world away...

(if you were wondering how the Darwin v2 filters got tuned for the RS8, I made use of the time when I was at headquarters last month...)

Screenshots anyone? Brief function description (from anyone who still has it running somehow, I'm told it's very hard to find?)

I'm sure I'll probably even get the source code by this time next week but curiosity has got the better of me this weekend.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 29, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #2,623 of 3,403

This only seem to have appeared for people on the RS8, and I don't own it and headquarters is now again half a world away...

(if you were wondering how the Darwin v2 filters got tuned for the RS8, I made use of the time when I was at headquarters last month...)

Screenshots anyone? Brief function description (from anyone who still has it running somehow, I'm told it's very hard to find?)

I'm sure I'll probably even get the source code by this time next week but curiosity has got the better of me this weekend.

I have mastermind, it shown under plug ins in both system settings and Hiby App.

It has a couple options such as vinyl, tube, ak4499 etc..

Attachments

• IMG_6022.jpeg
    IMG_6022.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #2,624 of 3,403

First picture shows the first window you get - including the designer's name. Then there's a drop down menu with various 'flavors'. They do affect the sound and the ones coreesponding to differnet dac chips do sound more or less like those chips. Studio, Tube and Vinyl are also interesting and they do approximate their descriptors - although in a cliche sort of way. Overall I have opted to leave it off every time I have played around with it. First off, I prefer the NOS R2R sound - that's why I got the RS8 in the first place! And second of all, the Tube and Vinyl fatten up the mid-bass too much and attenuate the treble (which is not how I hear either tubes or vinyl but whatever...) The Studio one is decent but again I prefer the sound of the unit with it off. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpeg
    IMG_0262.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0263.jpeg
    IMG_0263.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #2,625 of 3,403

I dont use them though i did try them briefly, but found them way overcooked, especially the DS simulations. Agree with @fejnomit - prefer RS8 without these on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back