HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jun 25, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #2,431 of 3,404
The next/prev and play/pause buttons on my RS8 are not operable. It makes no difference if the screen is on or off. I have rebooted multIple times with no change. I’m running V2.0.7 build 6058 of the Hiby app. Firmware version 1.20_20230508-1720. I have checked settings and nothing appears to help. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?
If these are latest versions, try factory reset, then contact your vendor if that doesn't help. (which is your local seller or service@hiby.com if you bought from us direct)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 26, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #2,432 of 3,404
Playing DSD 256 / 512:
  • Source correctly shows DSD256 / 512
  • DSD to PCM conversion handled by Roon – DSD256/512 to 352.8 / 64bit float to 32bits
  • RS8 shows 32/352.8
  • Audio Midi auto adjusts to 32 / 352.8
I'd recommend using DSD over PCM 1.0 (DoP) if your library is mostly DSD

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 3.38.44 PM.png
IMG_1308.JPG

Roon Exclusive mode: ON and DSD Playback Strategy = DSD over PCM 1.0 (DoP)
Playing DSD256:
  • DSD256 does not go through sample rate conversion
Playing DSD512:
  • DSD512 goes through sample rate conversion and Delta-Sigma modulator, where multi-bit audio is being modulated into a 1-bit DSD stream

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 4.17.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 4.18.08 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 4.27.38 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 4.26.33 PM.png
IMG_1309.JPG

Roon Exclusive mode: OFF
  • Allows you set RS8 to max 32 / 768 in Audio Midi
  • Roon output correctly shows RS8, MacOS sound settings shows RS8
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 4.05.54 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 4.06.09 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 4.07.31 PM.png

Thanks for this @Auricon.

i might have missed this after backreading the whole thread, but i have a question, although i am using aurdirvana.

just purchased some DSD 512 files from Native DSD. in DAC mode, RS8 could play DSD 256 directly. when i tried playing DSD 512, the files were converted to 32/705.6KHz. the same DSD 512 files were played at native sample rate only when i transferred the files to the SD card of the RS8 and played it via the Hiby Music app (they sounded really beautiful).

does this mean that in DAC mode, the RS8 could maximally play DSD 256 natively, and anything above that is converted to PCM 705.6KHz? or i just missed something in the settings of audirvana which ended up converting the DSD files to PCM?

thank you.

RS8 01.png
RS8 02.png

Jun 26, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #2,433 of 3,404
Hi there, can anyone who tried give some feedback about the result of plugin a Tsuranagi on an RS8 ? Is there a huge difference against RS8´s built in amp ? And eventually a feedback of this stack with an Rn6 plugged in would have been even greater 😊

Jun 26, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #2,434 of 3,404
The next/prev and play/pause buttons on my RS8 are not operable. It makes no difference if the screen is on or off. I have rebooted multIple times with no change. I’m running V2.0.7 build 6058 of the Hiby app. Firmware version 1.20_20230508-1720. I have checked settings and nothing appears to help. Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

If these are latest versions, try factory reset, then contact your vendor if that doesn't help. (which is your local seller or service@hiby.com if you bought from us direct)

Testing to confirm possible RS8 next/prev and play/pause physical buttons issues:

For HiBy Music app
- During screen on / off and locked cover screen, next/prev and play/pause buttons operate as expected
- During music play, next/prev and play/pause buttons operate as expected
- When music play is paused using play/pause button, next/prev and resume play buttons operate as expected

For Tidal, Bandcamp, Qobuz

- During screen on/off and locked cover screen, next/prev and play/pause buttons operate as expected
- During music play, next/prev and play/pause buttons operate as expected
- When music play is paused using play/pause button, next/prev and resume play buttons DO NOT operate in all screen modes: screen on / off and locked cover screen
- When music play is paused on lock cover screen using Android media control, next/prev and resume play buttons DO NOT operate

Rebooting RS8 solved non-responsive button operational issues for 3rd part music apps.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #2,435 of 3,404
I had the bug yesterday, side buttons except on/off one were not responding at all (different players, screen on or off, …). A reboot made them come back to life.

Jun 26, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #2,436 of 3,404
Thanks for this @Auricon.

i might have missed this after backreading the whole thread, but i have a question, although i am using aurdirvana.

just purchased some DSD 512 files from Native DSD. in DAC mode, RS8 could play DSD 256 directly. when i tried playing DSD 512, the files were converted to 32/705.6KHz. the same DSD 512 files were played at native sample rate only when i transferred the files to the SD card of the RS8 and played it via the Hiby Music app (they sounded really beautiful).

does this mean that in DAC mode, the RS8 could maximally play DSD 256 natively, and anything above that is converted to PCM 705.6KHz? or i just missed something in the settings of audirvana which ended up converting the DSD files to PCM?

thank you.

Are you using MacOS?

From my very limited understanding and use of RS8 as a DAC with MacOS and Windows, it's not an issue with RS8 but limitation of your operating system and DoP. MacOS can not play DSD natively but only via DoP (DSD over PCM where the DSD is transported to the DAC in a PCM container, but is recognized by your DAC as native DSD and played as such) limiting it to half of the maximum DSD value of your DAC.

MacOS is limited to DSD256 and Windows/Linux with ASIO driver goes up to DSD512.

The easiest thing to do is convert DSD512 to DSD256 :grimacing:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 12:55 AM Post #2,437 of 3,404
Are you using MacOS?

From my very limited understanding and use of RS8 as a DAC with MacOS and Windows, it's not an issue with RS8 but limitation of your operating system and DoP. MacOS can not play DSD natively but only via DoP (DSD over PCM where the DSD is transported to the DAC in a PCM container, but is recognized by your DAC as native DSD and played as such) limiting it to half of the maximum DSD value of your DAC. MacOS is limited to DSD256 and Windows/Linux with ASIO driver goes up to DSD512.

The easiest thing to do is convert DSD512 to DSD256 :grimacing:

Hope this helps.

was just trying the RS8 if could play DSD 512. it does effortlessly in the Hiby App.

probably, it has something to do with windows and the settings with audirvana. hiby said the RS8 could handle DSD 512 files in the DAC MODE. will tweak audirvana settings again ang hope to figure this out.

thank you. ☺️

Jun 27, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #2,438 of 3,404
was just trying the RS8 if could play DSD 512. it does effortlessly in the Hiby App.

probably, it has something to do with windows and the settings with audirvana. hiby said the RS8 could handle DSD 512 files in the DAC MODE. will tweak audirvana settings again ang hope to figure this out.

thank you. ☺️

I haven't had the opportunity to try out Audirvana and planning to take a quick dive into this weekend. Also provides me an opportunity to dust off and charge up my Windows laptop too 🤭

Oh ja, RS8 plays DSD natively quite nicely – all the way up to DSD1024.

IMG_0308.jpeg

Jun 27, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #2,439 of 3,404
Could HiBy include some kind of "wheel sensitivity" so that you can customize how much the sound is changed when you turn it? I like they kept it slow to avoid busting anyone's eardrums if it's moved by accident, but i'd like to improve it sensitivity

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #2,440 of 3,404
Could HiBy include some kind of "wheel sensitivity" so that you can customize how much the sound is changed when you turn it? I like they kept it slow to avoid busting anyone's eardrums if it's moved by accident, but i'd like to improve it sensitivity
Why not use the screen volume adjustment?

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:20 AM Post #2,441 of 3,404
The RS8 wheel has a lovely analog feel to it but there's no way to speed up the volume changes, unless you would like each move to be 2 steps instead of 1...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 27, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #2,442 of 3,404
The RS8 wheel has a lovely analog feel to it but there's no way to speed up the volume changes, unless you would like each move to be 2 steps instead of 1...
Exactly, like "set steps 2x, 3x, 1.5x" software side, IF it it's possible.

Jun 27, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2,443 of 3,404
That's what I get for being fast and loose with my terminology 😂 No, if you wanted upsampling you would just upsample, and it looks like you have to do this offline first if you want to do this together with DRX10K, yes (to answer your last question).

The "oversampling" regarding my plugin actually refers to analyzing and processing "overlapped" windows of sample data, to improve its time resolution. If e.g. the plugin looks at say 1024 samples per frame, the usually accepted maximum distance one jumps for the next set of samples is 512 samples, or half the window size. This is what is done at 768kHz. At say 48kHz, it only needs to look at say 64 sample windows, to cover the same amount of time per window (becaise sample rate), and for this it can afford to only take 1/8 window size hops per processing step, in this example 8 samples. Taking hops 1/4 the nominal accepted distance is what I referred to as "4x oversampling" and this is more important for the algorithm than actual upsampling, because while the analysis windows are nominally say 1024 samples wide, you "see" more clearly out these "windows" in the middle of each window, so it is good to catch each drum hit etc. in the middle of one such window to yield the desired processing and not introduce any unwanted distortions.

Phew... 😂

Thanks Joe,

You know.. this is happening because we don’t have a nice lengthy guide that explains stuff.. -)

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #2,445 of 3,404
Thanks Joe,

You know.. this is happening because we don’t have a nice lengthy guide that explains stuff.. -)
I was working on one for everything but everything seems to be too much of a moving target for me to ever document in detail. That or something like OCD and ADHD are making everything I write turn into noodles :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back