HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 24, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #1,531 of 3,436
It's not just the black background in this comparison. Both have it and RS8 has a very low noise floor which is fantastic with sensitive IEMs, like from Campfire Audio and others. But SP3k has a faster transient response of note on/off, a sharper transition which creates the perception of an even darker background, while RS8 is more of an "analog" flavor with less intense transition to make the sound smoother.

And yeah, RS8 battery is ridiculous :)
Thanks Alex!

Dec 24, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,532 of 3,436
Just found this yesterday. Is this a joke? How can you sell it after only 3 hours?

Attachments

• 8962BEB1-BE8F-470C-8F12-DF5EDE825B81.png
    8962BEB1-BE8F-470C-8F12-DF5EDE825B81.png
    694.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 24, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #1,533 of 3,436
Just found this yesterday. Is this a joke? How can you sell it after only 3 hours?
Maybe it is not new. It is used like new, I guess. And this person brought this used like new with 2nd hand price.

Dec 25, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #1,535 of 3,436
I’ve got one more brick. I believe someone had the same problem few pages back. the unit just turned itself off and won’t turn on again. When I plugged usb-c it’s just blinking and nothing happens. I’m very disappointed. Loved the sound when it was working.
Did you try to press Power+Forward for 12+ seconds?

Dec 26, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #1,537 of 3,436
Will RS8 owner please chime in - Does your volume knob click when you turn it? Mine does, I find it quite distracting when using open back headphones.

In Twister6 review he wrote this about the volume knob "butter smooth action as you turn it (prototype RS8 I tested before had a click action)"

That sounds like the prototypes had a click volume knob but they removed the click for the production units.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #1,538 of 3,436
Will RS8 owner please chime in - Does your volume knob click when you turn it? Mine does, I find it quite distracting when using open back headphones.

In Twister6 review he wrote this about the volume knob "butter smooth action as you turn it (prototype RS8 I tested before had a click action)"

That sounds like the prototypes had a click volume knob but they removed the click for the production units.

Where did you buy your RS8 from? RS8 was released in China first, and the final prototype I'm referring to came from Musicteck who showcased it at CanJam SoCal. I suspect that version was similar to a production batch in China. Also, if I recall correctly, someone else mentioned their RS8 purchased in China had a click with every wheel turn. R8 and N8ii have that click with every turn, ALPs volume control pot design to provide tactile feedback with every step of volume change as you turn it. The RS8 I got for review uses a different ALPs pot, no click feedback. So, where did you purchase yours from?

Dec 26, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,539 of 3,436
Where did you buy your RS8 from? RS8 was released in China first, and the final prototype I'm referring to came from Musicteck who showcased it at CanJam SoCal. I suspect that version was similar to a production batch in China. Also, if I recall correctly, someone else mentioned their RS8 purchased in China had a click with every wheel turn. R8 and N8ii have that click with every turn, ALPs volume control pot design to provide tactile feedback with every step of volume change as you turn it. The RS8 I got for review uses a different ALPs pot, no click feedback. So, where did you purchase yours from?
I purchased from Musicteck, but it was a used unit which has me thinking I've ended up with a prototype or China version? What do you think? Is there a way to check the model number to learn anything on this? Also, I have some random clipping when playing from an SD card. It doesn't happen often and if I scrub back on the song to hear the section again it does not clip at the same point.

Dec 26, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #1,540 of 3,436
I purchased from Musicteck, but it was a used unit which has me thinking I've ended up with a prototype or China version? What do you think? Is there a way to check the model number to learn anything on this? Also, I have some random clipping when playing from an SD card. It doesn't happen often and if I scrub back on the song to hear the section again it does not clip at the same point.

microSD card issue could be related to the flash card itself and buffering, etc. Have you tried another card? With click or no click, maybe a good idea to ask Hiby if they are using 2 different types of ALPs pots. I will ping them. Either one works fine, and the one with click feedback is actually more common.

Dec 26, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #1,541 of 3,436

Mine only got tactile feedback, no click sound like my previous R8, I've got mine from local dealer which i believe they got it from zeppelin in SG.

Dec 26, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #1,542 of 3,436
Wouldn't the serial number give you some indication of the production range you fall into?
I have number 7X. It's to me a pretty low serial number and I just have a contant smooth resistance like old mechanical camera lenses.
No steps in the volume knob. There was someone else that mentioned a click in there knob.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #1,543 of 3,436
Wouldn't the serial number give you some indication of the production range you fall into?
I have number 7X. It's to me a pretty low serial number and I just have a contant smooth resistance like old mechanical camera lenses.
No steps in the volume knob. There was someone else that mentioned a click in there knob.
My units serial number is below. I'm not sure what that tells me about the unit.

RS8A552EE8E5

Dec 26, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #1,544 of 3,436
My units serial number is below. I'm not sure what that tells me about the unit.

RS8A552EE8E5
No on the back of the case, there is the unit serial number. Mine is one of the first 70 made. Ic yours is above mine, you might have a some knob issue.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #1,545 of 3,436
No on the back of the case, there is the unit serial number. Mine is one of the first 70 made. Ic yours is above mine, you might have a some knob issue.
Knob issue - the British speaking will find this amusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back