HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 18, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #1,486 of 3,403
I'm hoping to get some advice from the good folks on this thread.

I will likely only make one major audio purchase in the next year. Not having a place I can go to audition/demo audio gear makes purchase decisions a bit difficult.

I currently own the RS8, Focal Stellia, Duna Luna, TGXear Serratus.
I'm considering adding a AMP, like the Cayin C9 or iFi Pro iCAN Signature. Mainly to enhance Stellia playback.

Or instead I could get IEM that has excellent synergy with the RS8. Not sure which IEM this would be at this point, I saw some positive mentions for the FiR NE4 on a post awhile back. Jewel also seems to be a good fit.

What single purchase would allow me to get the best sound quality with what I have? AMP or IEM. Which one?

Dec 18, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #1,487 of 3,403
I noticed that Musicteck has put the RS8 on sale for $2969 (10% discount).
A fabulous player at a reduced price…

The “like new” unit on sale is an opened “customer's unwanted return and it's in great condition. It's still in the original package, with all accessories, and covered by full manufacturer warranty.”

Ja, I agree - it’s an exceptional DAP for a reduced price.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #1,488 of 3,403
The “like new” unit on sale is an opened “customer's unwanted return and it's in great condition. It's still in the original package, with all accessories, and covered by full manufacturer warranty.”

Ja, I agree - it’s an exceptional DAP for a reduced price.
(stowing pitchfork)

Dec 18, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,489 of 3,403
Dec 18, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #1,490 of 3,403
I noticed that Musicteck has put the RS8 on sale for $2969 (10% discount).
A fabulous player at a reduced price…

That’s for a pre-owned unit, so not really a sale.

67E5687E-9F87-4186-8CDF-F683E2BDB5F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #1,491 of 3,403
Dec 18, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #1,492 of 3,403
For those who are interested, here is my full detailed review of RS8. Lots of info is covered, and as usual, partitioned for easier reading. Enjoy it!

hiby-rs8-08.jpg

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #1,493 of 3,403
For those who are interested, here is my full detailed review of RS8. Lots of info is covered, and as usual, partitioned for easier reading. Enjoy it!

Woo-hoo, bedtime reading! :zzz:😴

Thank you for the RS8 + Xe6 pair up - giddy and excited to experience post burn in.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:19 AM Post #1,494 of 3,403
I kind of went off on a tangent with the Hiromi recommendation. I actually found this album really interesting
both from a musical standpoint, but also from a technical dap evaluation standpoint. It's well recorded and a
great live feeling Jazz band. It is more of a drummer's album with a piano accompaniment in my opinion rather
than the other way around. Most likely the earphone I chose has biased the way I hear this album.

Very contemporary. I only found a 24-bit 96Khz version as the highest resolution.
With the Sony IER Z1R, you can hear how deep the RS8 can go (class A, NOS off) and instruments sound amazing.
This is a studio recording close mic. I believe was done in 4 days? You won't hear any reflections for the environment,
but still a very good recording and fun to listen to. I think it is basically a bass guitar, drummer, and Hiromi on piano.
I think you can hear a pretty good range of sounds clearly mic'd with the "Spark" album. I am really enjoying this Jazz
music.

The RS8 does not disappoint. Very tactile experience like you are sitting on the drummers stool with the drums
panning from far left to far right. You are the drummer. Hiromi is accompanying you with her piano just three feet
to the front right or left of you on some of these tracks. "All's Well" is one of those tracks that you want to pull out
a variety of headphones and earphones to see what they do with the track. "Wonderland" is very cool to try out as
well.

1671428190441.png

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #1,495 of 3,403
I kind of went off on a tangent with the Hiromi recommendation. I actually found this album really interesting
both from a musical standpoint, but also from a technical dap evaluation standpoint. It's well recorded and a
great live feeling Jazz band. It is more of a drummer's album with a piano accompaniment in my opinion rather
than the other way around. Very contemporary. I only found a 24-bit 96Khz version as the highest resolution.
With the Sony IER Z1R, you can hear how deep the RS8 can go (class A, NOS off) and instruments sound amazing.
This is a studio recording close mic. I believe was done in 4 days? You won't hear any reflections for the environment,
but still a very good recording and fun to listen to. I think it is basically a bass guitar, drummer, and Hiromi on piano.
I think you can hear a pretty good range of sounds clearly mic'd with the "Spark" album. I am really enjoying this Jazz
music.

1671426611453.png
Sony thread… lol but I am sure I am not the only other one following both :wink:

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #1,496 of 3,403
Sony thread… lol but I am sure I am not the only other one following both :wink:
I guess I wasn't clear about it being a Hiromi, RS8, and Z1R comment :)

Dec 19, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #1,497 of 3,403
Woo-hoo, bedtime reading! :zzz:😴

Thank you for the RS8 + Xe6 pair up - giddy and excited to experience post burn in.

I had been listening to Hugo 2 all day loving the rock concert experience. I rolled to RS8 tonight. It is a more intimate presentation. More on stage. The most noticeable differences are the staging and the glorious natural tonality of the treble on the RS8. This, more than anything, defines R2R and what I love most about it.

Dec 19, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #1,498 of 3,403
than the other way around. Most likely the earphone I chose has biased the way I hear this album.

Very contemporary. I only found a 24-bit 96Khz version as the highest resolution.
music.

The RS8 does not disappoint. Very tactile experience like you are sitting on the drummers stool with the drums
panning from far left to far right. You are the drummer. Hiromi is accompanying you with her piano just three feet
to the front right or left of you on some of these tracks. "All's Well" is one of those tracks that you want to pull out
a variety of headphones and earphones to see what they do with the track. "Wonderland" is very cool to try out as
well.

1671428190441.png
can you use ier-z1r to compare SP2000Cu and rs8 again?

Dec 19, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #1,499 of 3,403
Did you try to hold power+>>(the lowest button) for several seconds? Maybe 10 seconds.
I just got mine back. They said it was hardware damage.
I'm the one who had this issue - twice. Not to wish bad luck on anyone, but I'm kind of relieved to see someone else has experienced this same bizzare issue. In a way, I feel somewhat vindicated on the possibility I abused both units (at least in my mind). I would guess that most of us on this thread would take great care - and be experienced - with burning in and generally using an electronic of this stature. I'd like to think that I'm in this category.

I haven't heard anything from either HiBy or Andrew on any post mordum's performed on my two dead RS8 units. In the short period I had both units however, the sound was so promising that I'm willing to see this problem to its end.

Tim

Dec 19, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #1,500 of 3,403
Hi - long term lurker, have appreciated everyone's comments and impressions in the thread. Just wanting to post my early impressions of RS8 (disclosure: I am also posting for the CR08 promo but am happily putting my own thoughts down). My RS8 is still in the burning in stage. I am not normally used to putting my thoughts on paper with regards to audio so apologies in advance, and everything is obviously as I hear it so take with a grain of salt.

A quick background - I have previously loved a desktop combo of holo spring 3 kte with auris nirvana and susvara. I am a big fan of the r2r sound. I like prog rock, orchestral soundtracks and anything with decent production values. Due to circumstances I have been in the process of physically downsizing and finding a (trans)portable setup that could come close to the sound of my old desktop. I am not an IEM user due to tinnitus. I have been using an ibasso dx320 for the last few months which I am a big fan of. My current headphone of choice is the DCA stealth which is notoriously hard to drive from a portable source.

People have already talked extensively and at a much more eloquent level than I can about the unboxing and accessories, needless to say it is a top shelf experience. The case is a pleasing teal colour and fits well. The screen protector is pre-applied but unfortunately mine has a few bubbles. I would have preferred a better application. Thankfully a second is included. The rs8 is gorgeous to look at and the titanium finish has a lovely feel to it though it is a bit of a fingerprint magnet and I am paranoid about scratching the work of art that is the back panel.

Usability:
This is one heavy DAP! It is not something I would ever carry in my pocket but that's just me. It suits my purposes as a (trans)portable device however. I am an Android user normally so the interface is familiar and easy. A little bit slower than the current smartphones (I use pixel 7) but no issues. A touch slower than ibasso dx320 but again it does not impair usage at all. I use tidal through hiby music and roon app at home. No issues so far with the apps. Battery life is awesome! Easily get through a whole day without charging (intermittent use but class A, high gain and turbo on).

Now for the music!
Good news: rs8 with DCA stealth is truly lovely to my ears! I am rejoicing!
This is the r2r sound that I miss from my spring 3 KTE. It has been a few months since I had the holo audio unit so I won't make direct comparisons but needless to say the sound signature and characteristics are similar and if you like r2r you will love this DAP. I am using NOS on, high gain and turbo mode.
The soundstage is wider than dx320 but not unnaturally so. The small details of guitar string strumming and violins placed off to the side is so nice to rediscover. The words are cliches but I do feel the sound is natural, organic and smooth compared to the neutral, almost reference -like quality of dx320.
The dynamic range and bass response with the stealth is spot on. Perhaps not as strong as stealth bass can get (recently trialled enleum 23r and that showed me!) but much more impactful than dx320 in this setting.

I do not want to take my headphones off. That is my compliment to this DAP.

In summary - whilst I am still waiting for ongoing burnin changes to occur, I am extremely happy with this RS8 powering my DCA stealth and would recommend anyone to consider it, particularly if you already enjoy the r2r sound. Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20221219_013343489.jpg
    PXL_20221219_013343489.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20221219_013315752.jpg
    PXL_20221219_013315752.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back