HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 11, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #1,351 of 3,403
Guys, my RS8 just went down yesterday. It just kept delivering very loud "Da-Da-Da..." (like machine gun...) noise while playing music.
So sad, I really loved it after 120 hours burn-in. I just sent it back.
Before it wen wrong, I was just listening to music through UAPP, at the same time, I was trying to install another player app from Google Play store.
Then its screen went dark and flashing before the installing task complete. I then pressed the power button (hold several seconds) and tried to reboot it.
The RS8 did re-boot up, but went wrong like I described above. I reset it to factory setting and found issues still there.
I don't know how to upload video here.
It looks like the system is still under improvement and fragile (not sure if there is any hardware damage).

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #1,355 of 3,403
Anyone having issues with their side buttons not working sometimes?
It seems to happen in Hiby music, if I have Uapp also open or recently closed.
Happens in Uapp also sometimes.

Also, to get favourites to show up in Tidal on RS8,
I have to open it in Uapp.
Anyone else notice this?

I hope there is an update this week to address
Different bugs, etc.

On the super positive side,
My player is fully matured/burned in now.
All of a sudden, a huge change on Friday with 200 hours in.
Still burned in an extra
30 hours til today-
Beautiful

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #1,356 of 3,403

Anyone else notice this?

Different bugs, etc.

Still burned in an extra
30 hours til today-
Beautiful

I mentioned about side buttons control with Hiby Music in one of my posts a few days ago. I think it's a sw bug, not a hw issue.

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #1,357 of 3,403
I posted this message in the watercooler thread, but there is relevant information for this group, so I will repost.

-----------------------------

I've been doing a lot of listening across my collection of IEMs with N8ii, 1ZM2 and RS8. I am not sure how I would rank them, but I find that they have different synergies with different IEMs. I love them all. Here are the pairings I like the most so far and are subject to change.

N8ii: Red Halo, EXT, Traillii, LX. To me, N8ii is the most analytical of the 3 DAPs, so the general idea here is that anything that can benefit from greater resolution, especially in the highs I like better with N8ii.

1ZM2: Ragnar, Mentor, Z1R, Supermoon. The 1ZM2 does a great job of shaping the bass response of my IEMs. It gives them more dimensionality and warms it up when it needs it.

RS8: Jewel, Annihilator, Kublai Khan, NE4 (and I suspect XE6 when it arrives). For me, the RS8 has the best treble tonality. More organic and natural than well extended and airy. It also does something to bass that I like in giving bass more body, but in a different way than 1ZM2.

------------------------

Did some additional listening with Tia Fourte and U12t yesterday. It's close between RS8 and 1ZM2. I slightly prefer 1ZM2 for these IEMs because it improves the bass response and tonality. These can sound a bit digital to me and the 1ZM2 smooths that all out. The Tia Fourte is already a bright set with a huge sound stage so the benefit from the RS8 is less obvious.

In addition, I believe the RS8 has the greatest synergy with the FIR Audio Frontier series IEMs. I own the Ne4 and have an XE6 incoming. The biggest sound quality improvement I experienced is with the Ne4. The RS8 simultaneously improves the kinetic bass by making it bigger and more energetic and making the treble more organic, natural and pleasant. Almost perfect synergy.
Great comparison and recommendation.
So, you’d prefer the RS8 for the U12t and Fourte over the N8ii as well?

Dec 11, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #1,358 of 3,403
Great comparison and recommendation.
So, you’d prefer the RS8 for the U12t and Fourte over the N8ii as well?
To be honest, I need more time listening. Tia Fourte is definitely better with 1ZM2 for me because it's a bit aggressive in the treble and 1ZM2 smooths that out. Not sure 100% on U12t. I do like it with 1ZM2, just not sure if I prefer it over RS8.

If we are talking about U12t and Tia Fourte with RS8 vs. N8ii. I am not sure. I didn't do that test. I did not like U12t with N8ii. I did not like the timbre of that combination so I listened to U12t with M9 which I loved. I like 1ZM2 more than M9.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #1,359 of 3,403

Anyone else notice this?

Different bugs, etc.

Still burned in an extra
30 hours til today-
Beautiful
I recommend not to open two player app at the same time.
I was listening to a song on UAPP, and somehow it sounded odd, or at least not with the beauty as I thought I am used to.
I saw that Qobuz is also running in the background. I killed both apps (Qobuz sometimes needs to swipe down and right the notification even twice to be stopped completely), started UAPP again - the beauty was back.
Anyone with similar experience?

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #1,360 of 3,403
Got my RS8! Like it a lot! A little on the dark side but it’ll probably brighten up a little after burning in like so many say. I already like it better than my N8ii but I intend to keep both because they are very different.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #1,361 of 3,403
Got my RS8! Like it a lot! A little on the dark side but it’ll probably brighten up a little after burning in like so many say. I already like it better than my N8ii but I intend to keep both because they are very different.
Ya they complement each other +1.

Dec 11, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #1,362 of 3,403
Guys, my RS8 just went down yesterday. It just kept delivering very loud "Da-Da-Da..." (like machine gun...) noise while playing music.
So sad, I really loved it after 120 hours burn-in. I just sent it back.
Before it wen wrong, I was just listening to music through UAPP, at the same time, I was trying to install another player app from Google Play store.
Then its screen went dark and flashing before the installing task complete. I then pressed the power button (hold several seconds) and tried to reboot it.
The RS8 did re-boot up, but went wrong like I described above. I reset it to factory setting and found issues still there.
I don't know how to upload video here.
It looks like the system is still under improvement and fragile (not sure if there is any hardware damage).
I feel your pain. :weary::weary::weary:

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #1,363 of 3,403
Out of curiosity: Has anyone removed the backplate already? Does it really hides a real user replaceable battery?

Dec 11, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #1,364 of 3,403
I was listening to a song on UAPP, and somehow it sounded odd, or at least not with the beauty as I thought I am used to.
I saw that Qobuz is also running in the background. I killed both apps (Qobuz sometimes needs to swipe down and right the notification even twice to be stopped completely), started UAPP again - the beauty was back.
You are right. And, probably it is the reason that my RS8 was going back for repair.

Dec 11, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #1,365 of 3,403
Having same problem too, switching from apple music to UAPP and no sound from UAPP output. Have to restart device to be able to play again.
Also from my previous post, strange behavioral with MQA from both UAPP and Hiby Music.

I wonder if this is software or hardware problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back