HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #1,336 of 3,436
Sadly USB passthrough is the one feature missing from CR08. No idea why it was omitted, but it was. I also would have liked to see 4.4mm output, but overall I really like CR08, very well made and a convenient charging dock if nothing else. I use it with the RS8 in its cover.

Yes, it goes a long way and the looks and design are really nice. I like the lights they put on it too. The huge benefit to me is the balanced XLR outputs, I am able to connect to some nice balanced amplifiers and really make the full frequency range of the player sound very solid and consistent with obviously different class of power supply in a desktop amp.

I am still very impressed with the HiBy RS8. It is hard not to compare it to a desktop with all it's capabilities and now with an easy way to get balanced line out, well there is very little compromise.

Now they just need to fix the streaming apps for the other users.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,337 of 3,436
This is my review of the Hiby RS8. I received the unit a few weeks ago from Musicteck. Full disclosure: I am writing this review in response to Musicteck’s offer to provide a free C08 dock to people who post a review of the RS8.

I am relatively new to the world of high-end DAPs and IEMs. My 2 channel preferences run towards R2R DACs (currently enjoying a Holo May) and electrostatic speakers. I love my Raal ribbon headphones. I value liquid, transparent mid-range and have a low tolerance for sibilance or congested upper mid/lower treble energy. I listen to a wide variety of acoustic music.

My prior DAP setup was Chord Mojo2/Poly, which I still love. I also had a SP1000M for several years. I have a few IEMs in the below $1,500 range (Monarch Mk2; UM Mest; 7Hz Timeless; Oriolus Isabelae, etc.).

I echo most of what others have already said about the RS8. It is spectacular. It has the organic, analog R2R sound that I love, with a very capable and flexible amp section. The overall sound is refined but lively, without any harshness anywhere in the spectrum. I haven’t yet done a head-to-head comparison with my beloved Mojo2, but I’m certain that the RS8 would come out on top in all respects.

I also echo what others have said about the need for long burn-in. I’m a previous skeptic on the whole burn-in debate. But this experience has turned me around. I let it burn in for 50 or 60 hours before I had a chance to try it. I was quite disappointed at first; it really sounded congested and shrill on anything with complex upper-mid energy (like early music with multiple vocal parts or bluegrass). (As noted, I have a low tolerance for sibilance or congested upper-mids). That problem persisted even as the burn-in got up to 100 or 150 hours. I thought I would have to sell it and return to my beloved Mojo2/Poly.

I held off doing a review in the hopes that it would get better with time. Good thing I did. Things really took a turn for me at around 200 hours of burn in. The harshness and congestion are gone. The sound is lively, with tremendous clarity and “you are there” analog qualities. Just what I was looking for.

A couple more things about convenience for on-the-go use (which is still my main use case goal):
  • This thing is huge and heavy like a brick. I am managing to keep it in a cargo pants pocket pretty well. But it is heavy. I wind up carrying it around in my hand, which is pretty inconvenient, compared the way my Mojo2/Poly would slip into my pocket and happily stay there all day while I was at the grocery store, on a hike, or at the kids’ soccer game. I fear there may be a fanny pack in my future.
  • Some of the software is still a work in progress. I’m a big Roon user. Roon Remote (which will allow the unit to function as a Roon endpoint) doesn’t work yet, although Hiby assures me that should be fixed in the next firmware update. Compatibility with Roon ARC is also in the works but farther out.
  • I am really looking forward to Hibycast, which they say will allow full control of the unit from a nearby phone or tablet. With that, the unit could stay in a pocket (or backpack), or wherever is most convenient to carry something of this size and weight. I understand that Hibycast has recently come on line for Android phone users. But I’m an iOS guy. Hiby tells me an iOS phone client app is in the works but still a ways out.
The purchase experience with Andrew at Musicteck was terrific. He helped me get in touch with Hiby to get me answers on the Roon and Hibycast software questions.

Summary: now that it has burned in for a crazy number of hours, this is a remarkable beast. My only regret is that I’m going to need to take my IEM game up a couple notches to take full advantage of the quality that’s coming out of this unit.

Dec 10, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #1,338 of 3,436
This is my review of the Hiby RS8. I received the unit a few weeks ago from Musicteck. Full disclosure: I am writing this review in response to Musicteck’s offer to provide a free C08 dock to people who post a review of the RS8.

I am relatively new to the world of high-end DAPs and IEMs. My 2 channel preferences run towards R2R DACs (currently enjoying a Holo May) and electrostatic speakers. I love my Raal ribbon headphones. I value liquid, transparent mid-range and have a low tolerance for sibilance or congested upper mid/lower treble energy. I listen to a wide variety of acoustic music.

My prior DAP setup was Chord Mojo2/Poly, which I still love. I also had a SP1000M for several years. I have a few IEMs in the below $1,500 range (Monarch Mk2; UM Mest; 7Hz Timeless; Oriolus Isabelae, etc.).

I echo most of what others have already said about the RS8. It is spectacular. It has the organic, analog R2R sound that I love, with a very capable and flexible amp section. The overall sound is refined but lively, without any harshness anywhere in the spectrum. I haven’t yet done a head-to-head comparison with my beloved Mojo2, but I’m certain that the RS8 would come out on top in all respects.

I also echo what others have said about the need for long burn-in. I’m a previous skeptic on the whole burn-in debate. But this experience has turned me around. I let it burn in for 50 or 60 hours before I had a chance to try it. I was quite disappointed at first; it really sounded congested and shrill on anything with complex upper-mid energy (like early music with multiple vocal parts or bluegrass). (As noted, I have a low tolerance for sibilance or congested upper-mids). That problem persisted even as the burn-in got up to 100 or 150 hours. I thought I would have to sell it and return to my beloved Mojo2/Poly.

I held off doing a review in the hopes that it would get better with time. Good thing I did. Things really took a turn for me at around 200 hours of burn in. The harshness and congestion are gone. The sound is lively, with tremendous clarity and “you are there” analog qualities. Just what I was looking for.

A couple more things about convenience for on-the-go use (which is still my main use case goal):
  • This thing is huge and heavy like a brick. I am managing to keep it in a cargo pants pocket pretty well. But it is heavy. I wind up carrying it around in my hand, which is pretty inconvenient, compared the way my Mojo2/Poly would slip into my pocket and happily stay there all day while I was at the grocery store, on a hike, or at the kids’ soccer game. I fear there may be a fanny pack in my future.
  • Some of the software is still a work in progress. I’m a big Roon user. Roon Remote (which will allow the unit to function as a Roon endpoint) doesn’t work yet, although Hiby assures me that should be fixed in the next firmware update. Compatibility with Roon ARC is also in the works but farther out.
  • I am really looking forward to Hibycast, which they say will allow full control of the unit from a nearby phone or tablet. With that, the unit could stay in a pocket (or backpack), or wherever is most convenient to carry something of this size and weight. I understand that Hibycast has recently come on line for Android phone users. But I’m an iOS guy. Hiby tells me an iOS phone client app is in the works but still a ways out.
The purchase experience with Andrew at Musicteck was terrific. He helped me get in touch with Hiby to get me answers on the Roon and Hibycast software questions.

Summary: now that it has burned in for a crazy number of hours, this is a remarkable beast. My only regret is that I’m going to need to take my IEM game up a couple notches to take full advantage of the quality that’s coming out of this unit.
"I’m a previous skeptic on the whole burn-in debate. But this experience has turned me around."
your holo may doesn't need burn in?

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #1,339 of 3,436
"I’m a previous skeptic on the whole burn-in debate. But this experience has turned me around."
your holo may doesn't need burn in?
Good question. It was several years ago, was my first R2R DAC, and was a huge step up from the DAC I was using before that. It also came at a crazy time in my life, where long critical listening sessions were not really on the menu. And the rest of the audio chain was already pretty well optimized to avoid my pet peeve of congested upper mids. Given all that, my vague memory is that I was pretty happy with it right away and didn’t really focus on sonic changes over the early ownership period.

In other words, I can neither confirm nor deny that it benefited from burn in.

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,340 of 3,436
Good question. It was several years ago, was my first R2R DAC, and was a huge step up from the DAC I was using before that. It also came at a crazy time in my life, where long critical listening sessions were not really on the menu. And the rest of the audio chain was already pretty well optimized to avoid my pet peeve of congested upper mids. Given all that, my vague memory is that I was pretty happy with it right away and didn’t really focus on sonic changes over the early ownership period.

In other words, I can neither confirm nor deny that it benefited from burn in.
how dose rs8 sounds compared to may?

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #1,342 of 3,436
how dose rs8 sounds compared to may?
I love them both, and for the same reasons. Many similar qualities that are right up my alley. Natural, organic, analog quality, etc. As for a head-to-head comparison, I’m afraid I’m out of my depth trying to describe the small differences, given the different audio chains involved, the difference between an IEM experience and a pair of speakers sitting in a room, etc.

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #1,343 of 3,436
Ugh, plugins now crash every attempt to get in. I just want to make sure it isn't turning anything on. Previously there was a reboot bug where one or more plugins were toggled on after reboot. In my case it was the fixed sample rate, causing glitched playback. Now it just crashes. Not sure how I feel about back doors changing configurations and features without the owners approval.

Can someone else please try to get into your audio settings plugin's, does it crash for you?

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #1,345 of 3,436
My RS8 took over 200 hrs to fully open up and allow the treble and lower mids to blossom. Also takes ~20 mins to warm up and get all the dynamism flowing on every session. With that said, if you were raised on tubes and vinyl, 70's hifi and dynamic driver 2-channel systems, this is the cats meow for portable bliss.

Yes, this is the era when I first got into Hi Fidelity music. Yes. 70s dynamic driver low end 2 channel system. It did not take me that long to get the right sound out of the RS8. Maybe my mind was projecting. It does seem to be getting better over time, but I am not sure how much that is due to psychological effects.

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #1,346 of 3,436
I posted this message in the watercooler thread, but there is relevant information for this group, so I will repost.

-----------------------------

I've been doing a lot of listening across my collection of IEMs with N8ii, 1ZM2 and RS8. I am not sure how I would rank them, but I find that they have different synergies with different IEMs. I love them all. Here are the pairings I like the most so far and are subject to change.

N8ii: Red Halo, EXT, Traillii, LX. To me, N8ii is the most analytical of the 3 DAPs, so the general idea here is that anything that can benefit from greater resolution, especially in the highs I like better with N8ii.

1ZM2: Ragnar, Mentor, Z1R, Supermoon. The 1ZM2 does a great job of shaping the bass response of my IEMs. It gives them more dimensionality and warms it up when it needs it.

RS8: Jewel, Annihilator, Kublai Khan, NE4 (and I suspect XE6 when it arrives). For me, the RS8 has the best treble tonality. More organic and natural than well extended and airy. It also does something to bass that I like in giving bass more body, but in a different way than 1ZM2.

------------------------

Did some additional listening with Tia Fourte and U12t yesterday. It's close between RS8 and 1ZM2. I slightly prefer 1ZM2 for these IEMs because it improves the bass response and tonality. These can sound a bit digital to me and the 1ZM2 smooths that all out. The Tia Fourte is already a bright set with a huge sound stage so the benefit from the RS8 is less obvious.

In addition, I believe the RS8 has the greatest synergy with the FIR Audio Frontier series IEMs. I own the Ne4 and have an XE6 incoming. The biggest sound quality improvement I experienced is with the Ne4. The RS8 simultaneously improves the kinetic bass by making it bigger and more energetic and making the treble more organic, natural and pleasant. Almost perfect synergy.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #1,347 of 3,436
In addition, I believe the RS8 has the greatest synergy with the FIR Audio Frontier series IEMs. I own the Ne4 and have an XE6 incoming. The biggest sound quality improvement I experienced is with the Ne4. The RS8 simultaneously improves the kinetic bass by making it bigger and more energetic and making the treble more organic, natural and pleasant. Almost perfect synergy.
Absolutely. Kr5 fits in with your description as well. Kinetic bass is more spherically staged with added texture and rumble. Adds grip and is more explosive. Fav pairing right now for the FiR.

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #1,348 of 3,436
Absolutely. Kr5 fits in with your description as well. Kinetic bass is more spherically staged with added texture and rumble. Adds grip and is more explosive. Fav pairing right now for the FiR.
True, especially the spherical stage and added rumble. I never heard that with Ne4 before. I really need to a/b test RS8 > XE6 v RS8 > Odyssey to see which one has the best bass now. It's not clear to me right now which I will prefer given how great the NE4 sounds with RS8.

Dec 10, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #1,349 of 3,436
Actually XE6 is the only IEM with BCD that I can feel a strong vibration when I touch the IEM with my finger.

Dec 10, 2022 at 10:00 PM Post #1,350 of 3,436
True, especially the spherical stage and added rumble. I never heard that with Ne4 before. I really need to a/b test RS8 > XE6 v RS8 > Odyssey to see which one has the best bass now. It's not clear to me right now which I will prefer given how great the NE4 sounds with RS8.
Please do a comparison of XE6 and KK :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back