HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #1,291 of 3,403
I've been envious of David's DCA, I though about the Expanse and I was going to listen to it, but shinny gold bright thing distracted me. And I thought god I love this Sony sound on the LCD-MX4. That headphone is luckily easy to drive and one of the least colored and weird Audeze to date. So I ended up buying a third dap this month.

Guess I will have to explain to my wife where the new refrigerator budget went :) Why does she slap my ears when she gets mad ?
Ah! the sacrifices & sufferings that an audiophile has to undergo :wink:

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #1,292 of 3,403
Beside the battery, the copper shield inside the RS8 probably the main culprit of the weight.
The titanium is pliable and is very beautiful to behold when finished, but it is very very heavy. Titanium is the main culprit when it comes to adding weight. But Titanium daps are so easy on the eyes and looks really nice with that premium look. Also Titanium increases the cost of the DAP.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #1,293 of 3,403
The titanium is pliable and is very beautiful to behold when finished, but it is very very heavy. Titanium is the main culprit when it comes to adding weight. But Titanium daps are so easy on the eyes and looks really nice with that premium look. Also Titanium increases the cost of the DAP.
I think you may want to recheck the molar mass of Titanium vs Iron and Copper. Titanium is not heavy. Titanium is a strategic metal used in aircraft to lighten the airframe while keeping its strength and high heat resistance. Until composite materials were more easily produced, aluminum and titanium were main fighter aircraft materials.

The battery in the RS8 is very large and typically the heaviest component of a portable device. Remember removable phone batteries?

Copper has much better electromagnetic shielding properties and would have been the logical choice for a chassis. Like the SP2000 Cu, RS6, Sony Signature Series. However copper is relatively dense molecular structure so Titanium will save weight and market perceptions are that Titanium is a luxury material used in watches and jewelry.

Titanium is scientifically lighter. About 25% lighter than copper. That's shaving off 1/4 of the chassis weight.

Atomic Mass:
Titanium = 47.867 u
Aluminum 26.982 u
Copper = 63.546 u
Iron = 55.845 u
lead = 207.2 u

Another example: If you buy a battery powered drill, is the drill heavier than the battery pack?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #1,294 of 3,403
Back on my Apple Music issue on RS8, strangely it works again flawlessly... but I don't know why and it's not after a restart or any action on my part... I'll keep an eye out

Listening to the canadian jazz singer Dominique Fils Aimé latest album (Three little words) with the Elysium plugged to the RS8 I have goosebumps, her beautiful voice is taken to new heights. If you like jazz vocals her previous albums Nameless and Stay tuned! then you're in for a treat... Elli Miller Maboungou percussions are great as well, a very engaging album. Each of her album include one, the cover version of "Stand by me" is mesmerizing between her stunning vocals and just a double bass and piano.... Vocals shine better than ever with RS8...

1669969001751.png

On a side note, CR08 might arrive not too far in the future :wink:
I too am very fond of Dominique Fils-Aimé' albums - her voice in particular - as female jazz vocals are one of my favourite listening genres and I'm currently looking for a pair of engaging musical iems that take you deep into the soul and texture of female vocals, would you say that the Elysiums are the most suitable for this or would you instead suggest an even more engaging pair?

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #1,295 of 3,403
Well guys at the 100 hour mark and this DAP is killer diller. It’s the best one I’ve heard by a long mile. Listen to Eric Reed it’s all right to swing and the cut in a lonely place and you will thank me a million times. It is so natural especially the piano. This is one of my favorite albums. My only complaint is when it gets loud on the high hats they sound splashy. I hope this improves with further break in. I’m using the Hi FI man headphones.

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,296 of 3,403
Dec 8, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #1,297 of 3,403
Well, the differences between a nearly brand new Sony WM1Z M2 and the RS8 with a lot of hours on it is pretty different.
This is going to be interesting in what the Sony is going to develop into.

Somethings I feel is pretty safe bet is that the RS8 has multiples of power over the Sony [high gain] and you can hear it at same
volume levels. The RS8 notes are much crisper with harder impact. I guess we will see in 200 more hours how the Sony opens up.

For the really busy "Barber of Seville [Live]" by Tarja on the Beauty and the Beat album, you can hear a complete dominance of the
RS8. Sony is far behind. The Sony has a completely different character and this attracted me to it. We will see how this player blossoms. I am sure
the gap will close...I hope...:) I don't know if it is how the Sony renders music, or if this is because the power supply needs to cycled
several more hours, but the depth of the sound stage seems greater with the Sony. Everything is a bit distant and deep. Interesting
and different perspective.

If nothing else changes and this is pretty close to how the Sony will sound after it's speed of capacitance and discharge reaches full
potential, the RS8 will just dominate in terms of realism, tonal accuracy, clarity, and drive power.

I forgot to mention, this is all with the LCD-MX4. I really enjoy this headphone with no Reveal+ going on in this comparison. The LCD-MX4
is pretty good without any eq corrections.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #1,298 of 3,403
Both of my RS8 units failed under similar cirumstances and setups. They were operating under battery power only and amply charged, with my VE Phonix plugged into the 4.4mm PO connection. They both failed when pushing the external play button after having the units in pause. Apparently, I'm the only person in the world to have experienced this not just once, but twice for this DAP.
That's quite interesting. I had issues with my N8ii resuming from pause which was later sorted with a FW update.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #1,299 of 3,403
I think you may want to recheck the molar mass of Titanium vs Iron and Copper. Titanium is not heavy. Titanium is a strategic metal used in aircraft to lighten the airframe while keeping its strength and high heat resistance. Until composite materials were more easily produced, aluminum and titanium were main fighter aircraft materials.

The battery in the RS8 is very large and typically the heaviest component of a portable device. Remember removable phone batteries?

Copper has much better electromagnetic shielding properties and would have been the logical choice for a chassis. Like the SP2000 Cu, RS6, Sony Signature Series. However copper is relatively dense molecular structure so Titanium will save weight and market perceptions are that Titanium is a luxury material used in watches and jewelry.

Titanium is scientifically lighter. About 25% lighter than copper. That's shaving off 1/4 of the chassis weight.

Atomic Mass:
Titanium = 47.867 u
Aluminum 26.982 u
Copper = 63.546 u
Iron = 55.845 u
lead = 207.2 u

Another example: If you buy a battery powered drill, is the drill heavier than the battery pack?
but is almost twice as heavy as aluminum. I've a DAP in Titanium and it's equivalent in aluminum with test of the components the same. The titanium is heavier. I know the battery stuff can add to the weight and the titanium aircraft stuff. With the DAPs, it is not lighter than an aluminum based dap with all other components being the same. That and the expense associated with Titanium is what I don't like about it. But as I mentioned, the finish is so beautiful. So Titanium has that appeal for sure.

Dec 8, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #1,300 of 3,403
Well, the differences between a nearly brand new Sony WM1Z M2 and the RS8 with a lot of hours on it is pretty different.
This is going to be interesting in what the Sony is going to develop into.

Somethings I feel is pretty safe bet is that the RS8 has multiples of power over the Sony [high gain] and you can hear it at same
volume levels. The RS8 notes are much crisper with harder impact. I guess we will see in 200 more hours how the Sony opens up.

For the really busy "Barber of Seville [Live]" by Tarja on the Beauty and the Beat album, you can hear a complete dominance of the
RS8. Sony is far behind. The Sony has a completely different character and this attracted me to it. We will see how this player blossoms. I am sure
the gap will close...I hope...:) I don't know if it is how the Sony renders music, or if this is because the power supply needs to cycled
several more hours, but the depth of the sound stage seems greater with the Sony. Everything is a bit distant and deep. Interesting
and different perspective.

If nothing else changes and this is pretty close to how the Sony will sound after it's speed of capacitance and discharge reaches full
potential, the RS8 will just dominate in terms of realism, tonal accuracy, clarity, and drive power.

I forgot to mention, this is all with the LCD-MX4. I really enjoy this headphone with no Reveal+ going on in this comparison. The LCD-MX4
is pretty good without any eq corrections.
With Sony, first and foremost, you need IEM and you must try their DSP option after letting it burn in for at least 200 hours.

Simphonio VR1 and WM1AM2 has become my daily gear despite me having dap costing 3 times the price of AM2.

I have a lot of respect for what Sony is doing with their cheaper DAP.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,301 of 3,403
Titanium is about 2/3 heavier than Aluminum but it is much stronger so you can make the case much thinner and still be as strong and about the same weight. Whether that's what Hiby did is unknown. Considering the size of the battery, I'd say that's the heaviest component. And adding copper shielding doesn't help either.
I wish someone would compare this DAP to the LP6ti......

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #1,302 of 3,403
Both of my RS8 units failed under similar cirumstances and setups. They were operating under battery power only and amply charged, with my VE Phonix plugged into the 4.4mm PO connection. They both failed when pushing the external play button after having the units in pause. Apparently, I'm the only person in the world to have experienced this not just once, but twice for this DAP.
Did it fail the first time you tried playing the VE Phonix on the RS8? (i.e. were you plugging in the Phonix to the unit and playing them for the first time on the RS8 when this happened?

Are these earphones functioning with other players at the moment?

Do you have a multimeter? Can you try measuring the DC resistance across the various pins on your earphones?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 8, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #1,303 of 3,403
Look what plugin just showed up to use. Can’t tell any change if enabled yet though. Neat regardless.
EAC5AB3E-6E88-4C8F-94F2-8B765C0A0AFB.jpeg

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #1,305 of 3,403
nice ext
very much looking forward to CanJam impressions.
was about to sell RS6 for M9 but realized I like my favorite IEM VE EXT much more with RS6.
Hoping RS8 will push the specs like DNR further to some TOTL level like L&P implementation in DAP world or Holo Audio in desktop world so it will be a no-brainer to settle on but with streaming capabilities.

So for any of you being blessed to demo the RS8 pls consider also demoing VE EXT as this one seems to really makle a difference betwewn DAPs more so than other IEMs
any one want together ve ext I have one on sale box accessories u touch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back